• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why wasn't I able to buy York+Bus tickets today

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm333

I went to Guiseley station today and wanted to buy two OPDRs with a disabled adult railcard to York+Bus.

The lady in the ticket couldn't sell it to me though. She showed me the screen on her ticketing system, it was listed there as a destination (along with York+AirCoach and York+BusTour), but when she selected York+Bus, it would only sell me a York ticket with no bus add-on.

Luckily, the York travel centre were able to sell us two Plus Bus tickets when we arrived.

But any ideas why Guiseley couldn't do it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
The ticket clerk should sell separate tickets from Guiseley to York and York to York+Bus. Selling Guiseley to York+Bus won't work. Could she have been trying to do that?

P.S. The standard abbreviation for off-peak day return is CDR.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The ticket clerk should sell separate tickets from Guiseley to York and York to York+Bus. Selling Guiseley to York+Bus won't work. Could she have been trying to do that?

P.S. The standard abbreviation for off-peak day return is CDR.

Sounds like this is the case, it seems to be the usual reason for failing o sell PlusBus tickets.

If it happens again, point out that the tickets should be issued as island says. It's probably a case of forgotten training on something not issued frequently. (the instructions on how to issue these tickets are on the public PlusBus website, which always strikes me as endearingly amateurish)

PlusBus can always (assuming there's a ticket office) be added at your destination btw, which is handy if you're not sure whether it'll be used.

FGWman

About a year ago they changed the rules. Plus Bus tickets now have to issued separately to the rail ticket so you cannot get a combined rail and plus bus ticket. I should imagine its to make it easier for the bus river to read and cut down on the potential for fraud. If a plus bus ticket was issued with an off peak return you could in theory have used it for a month of bus journeys

Established Member
A while ago I got one girl showing me a season ticket Leeds-Hull and another showing me a season from Hull to Hull Plus Bus.

Sadly, both tickets were withdrawn for prosecution :)

All booking offices can sell them but those plonkers who program the ticket system are to blame here. Failing for 3 years to fix something as simple as that is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.