• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why you shouldn't litter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

traveller1030

That is truly funny, but deadly serious for a sec I don't particularly like having to dodge still-lit fag ends thrown out of passenger/driver side windows virtually next to me in the other lane... makes you wonder what kind of planet these people are on.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
traveller1030 said:
That is truly funny, but deadly serious for a sec I don't particularly like having to dodge still-lit fag ends thrown out of passenger/driver side windows virtually next to me in the other lane... makes you wonder what kind of planet these people are on.

bit like when people throw them at trains in stations.... *ahem* diesel engines prat!

ChrisCooper

Established Member
HSTfan!!! said:
bit like when people throw them at trains in stations.... *ahem* diesel engines prat!

Actually, whilst dropping cigarettes anywhere isn't a good thing to do, you're argument their is a little flawed. Diesel is very hard to burn, and infact you can drop a lighted match into a tank of diesel and it will go out, as would a cigarette (don't try this at home). The same is true of petrol aswell, but since petrol has a lower boiling point that diesel, it produces a lot more fumes, and these are highly flamable, and having cigarettes or any naked flames around petrol is a very bad idea. Actually, the biggest risk at a railway station is the general amounts of rubbish that tend to collect, especially around the tracks, and this, cobined with diesel and oil (small amounts, especially in warm weather, do evaporate easily so are a fire risk) could cause a fire. You're not going to find that you throw a cigarette or even a match at a train and it explodes or burst into flames though (not outside Hollywood anyway).
I do know someone who had an engine fire in their car that was caused by a cigarette thrown from another car. Throwing cigarettes from cars or any other moving vehicle is a very bad idea anyway, since it can cause a fire, especially in hot dry weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.