• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wi-Fi on the underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
Sitting next to a train is one thing though - going down into a tube station is another altogether. Though I did notice at Stratford that they are getting it station wide i think i read.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Sitting next to a train is one thing though - going down into a tube station is another altogether. Though I did notice at Stratford that they are getting it station wide i think i read.

If it's only going to be at platform level then yes, it is less likely.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Email I got when I registered says that it's available throughout the whole station.

Virgin Media WiFi said:
The great news is you can hop onto our WiFi service in the ticket hall, on the escalator and the platform

jon0844

Veteran Member
I haven't done a speedtest, but it seems excellent. As fast, if not faster than my home wifi (15mbps). That's probably because I'm the only person using it.

You and other tech journos also doing speed tests. Some people have had incredible speeds!

TrainBoy98

Still suprised that Baker St, Bank/Monument, Bond St and other major ones have been avoided albeit that some small stations do

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Still suprised that Baker St, Bank/Monument, Bond St and other major ones have been avoided albeit that some small stations do
Baker Street most likely as the Met and Circle & Hammersmith line platforms can receive normal mobile signal. As stated above Crossrail stations are being avoided which explains Bond Street, and ongoing works continue at Bank/Monument which may affect installation.

Most other stations that have/have not had them installed can be seen by virtue of them either being on the Victoria line, an Olympics Venue, or have mobile signal from the platforms.

Clip

Established Member
Baker Street most likely as the Met and Circle & Hammersmith line platforms can receive normal mobile signal. .

Which makes it more odd that Canning Town has or is having it installed.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Which makes it more odd that Canning Town has or is having it installed.
Canning Town is an important Olympic station. All other LUL-managed Olympic stations, including those that are above ground (e.g. Southfields, Wembley Park, etc.) are having it installed.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm sure there are a number of logistical issues at every station and so there might be some oddities and inconsistencies (as in which stations are done first).

I am sure the long term plan is to have every station covered. After all Virgin Media will be charging for access eventually. But, if I was Virgin then I'd be mindful of the fact that in most cases, anyone using their phone where there's a mobile signal will probably opt to use that (depending on their data package).

Clip

Established Member
Canning Town is an important Olympic station. All other LUL-managed Olympic stations, including those that are above ground (e.g. Southfields, Wembley Park, etc.) are having it installed.

I get that bit but was merely responding to your open air station above - as it is out in the open is there any real need for wifi? Can people not use their 3g? They will have to change on to it anyway when they get on the DLR/Jubilee line to Stratford so it really makes no sense for a dwell tim eof no more then 5 minutes in either direction during the games period.*

* Crowd issues notwithstanding

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I get that bit but was merely responding to your open air station above - as it is out in the open is there any real need for wifi? Can people not use their 3g? They will have to change on to it anyway when they get on the DLR/Jubilee line to Stratford so it really makes no sense for a dwell tim eof no more then 5 minutes in either direction during the games period.*

Sorry if I was not clearer. The point I was trying to make is that most Olympic venue stations[1] are being fitted, including that have mobile signal from the platforms AND are having WiFi installed are stations serving Olympic venues.

[1] Earls Ct being the obvious exception

urban469

Sorry if I was not clearer. The point I was trying to make is that most Olympic venue stations[1] are being fitted, including that have mobile signal from the platforms AND are having WiFi installed are stations serving Olympic venues.

Can't remember where I saw it, but a big part of the reason they're doing it pre-Olympics is to target foreign visitors, so they can use wifi without roaming charges.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I didn't see much advertising of the free Wi-Fi on the Tube itself, but wonder if it's in the various information Olympic ticket holders will have received?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't see much advertising of the free Wi-Fi on the Tube itself, but wonder if it's in the various information Olympic ticket holders will have received?

Big posters are going up at all Wifi-enabled stations to show passengers they are in a Wifi-enabled area :)

Dstock7080

Established Member
This style of poster, some with different wording, have been displayed for a while now:
LU poster:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/7413621790/in/photostream
Virgin Media posters (non-Johnston font):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88569211@N00/7621585898/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88569211@N00/7621586584/in/photostream/

Last edited:

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Can you actually use the WiFi when on the tube? For instance would I be able to update my facebook status on my Ipod if I am on a victoria line trundling many feet under London?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Can you actually use the WiFi when on the tube? For instance would I be able to update my facebook status on my Ipod if I am on a victoria line trundling many feet under London?

As has been mentioned a few times in the thread - the Wi-Fi is not installed on the trains, only in the stations.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yup, not in the tunnels. That's why I've let trains go by to surf a bit longer!

It's going to be great for times of disruption, or for me to check what platform to aim for at King's Cross before I leave the station and get 3G coverage again.

Clip

Established Member

Yeah I may have read your post a bit wrong.. Still a bit silly at Canning town mind imo.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

You can - but only very briefly when actually in the station - and you have to wait for your device to find the WiFi and connect - and sometimes log back in again.

I've had PMs on here sent by people sat in an LU station.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not sure how long the login lasts before timing out, but it must be a while as I've logged in (well confirmed I accept the T&Cs) at King's Cross and it has then worked at other Wi-Fi enabled stations, including when I get back to KGX at the end of the day.

urban469

Not sure how long the login lasts before timing out, but it must be a while as I've logged in (well confirmed I accept the T&Cs) at King's Cross and it has then worked at other Wi-Fi enabled stations, including when I get back to KGX at the end of the day.

It's one day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, the wifi map has finally been updated:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/corporate/wifi-stations-map.pdf

It shows that all of the stations have now been activated (except the Overground stations plus Camden Town). (Of course, another batch of 40 go live by the end of the year).

That means, every station inside the Circle Line has wifi, except Lancaster Gate, Bond St, TCR and Bank.

Last edited:

urban469

The system is really starting to annoy me now. It diverts to the Virgin Media splash page *every time* I enter a new station. It used to be once a day. So, by the time the VM page has loaded, the train is just entering the tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.