• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simming

How Good is it?
How Much is it?
How Fast Is It?
Is It Worth carting a laptop with me on trains to use it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jd

Depends on your needs. Depends on the location of the Wifi access point. If the access point is some way away, you will get a poorer quality signal and a lower speed - if it is closer, you will get a better speed. Though I can't *really* help you, I've never used public Wi-fi, nowhere I go regularly has it...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FGW seem to be installing at their stations, indeed, Bristol TM and Bristol PW have it. It's £4.50/hour :o

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not bad, about the same charge as GNER IIRC.

Don't forget, this is how we get such excellent new technologies, by paying for the installation and so forth through the useage charge.

Wi-Fi is also available in selected areas of Paddington, if not all of it, but whether a charge is implemented here I don't know.

I'm very interested in Wi-Fi, especially when I eventually get a laptop and Wi-Fi card to use. Nothing like being able to check connections at Edinburgh when you're still on the train passing through Chathill. Or like being able to post gen, news and comments/debates/rants on the forum whilst the gen/news/rant is still fresh.

jd

Simming said:
sorry, I meant on trains, should have said that clearer

Yeah I know - still applies though. I don't know how the Wifi points are being installed on board, but if there is only one point, say, in the centre of the train, you might not get very good signal if you are at the extreme ends of the train. I don't *really* know much about Wi-fi, as I say, but I know my laptop, when in my room, about 5m from my access point, only gets 'Very Good' not 'Excellent' signal - walls do tend to block signal - I don't know how the walls within a train would affect it though.

FGWFan said:
I'm very interested in Wi-Fi, especially when I eventually get a laptop and Wi-Fi card to use.

If you are getting a laptop new, then its highly unlikely you'll need a card - all laptops (AFAIK - I'm 99% sure they all do) come with Wi-fi built in. If you are getting second hand, then you may or may not need a card.

Status
Not open for further replies.