• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wick/ Thurso to Penzance, by Sprinter

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglejames

Established Member
I know this has been discussed a while back, but cant find it through the search function.
Anyway, im trying to work out how possible this journey still is. Using Sprinters only.
I know there are 1 or 2 158s from Inverness to Edinburgh/ Glasgow, so getting to Manchester should be easy enough. Glasgow to Carlisle, Carlisle to Leeds, then onto Manchester.
However im not sure how easy it is from there. Manchester to Cardiff trains are all 175s arent they? As far as I know, Manchester to Chester is all 175s with ATW, and all pacers with Northern. Or are there a few services on these routes which are Sprinters?

All I need is to bridge the gap between Manchester/ Warrington/ Liverpool, and Shrewsbury. Once in Shrewsbury its easy enough. Either via the HoW, Swansea and Cardiff or direct via Newport, then down to Bristol and on into Cornwall.
So is it possible to bridge that small gap? Are there any booked sprinters from Manchester to either Cardiff or Chester? Or is there another way im not thinking of?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There is one 158 diagram a day Manchester-Cardiff (and beyond) IIRC, and one over to Chester and Holyhead too.

Robinson

Pretty sure you can get 158s on Manchester-Cardiff. Either that or there are a few 150s on the Chester via Altrincham services.

Of course, the only Sprinters from Leeds to Manchester are to Victoria, so you'd have to either change at Huddersfield or at Manchester Victoria and Salford Crescent.
Another, more long-winded, option is to go Leeds-Nottingham (NT 158s) - Derby (on a Matlock service, usually a 156) - Crewe (153).

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
jcollins will be able to tell you for certain but I think Manchester-Chester via Knutsford is half Pacer, half Sprinter (2 142, 1 150 and 1 156 or similar).

SprinterMan

Established Member
I know this has been discussed a while back, but cant find it through the search function.
Anyway, im trying to work out how possible this journey still is. Using Sprinters only.
I know there are 1 or 2 158s from Inverness to Edinburgh/ Glasgow, so getting to Manchester should be easy enough. Glasgow to Carlisle, Carlisle to Leeds, then onto Manchester.
However im not sure how easy it is from there. Manchester to Cardiff trains are all 175s arent they? As far as I know, Manchester to Chester is all 175s with ATW, and all pacers with Northern. Or are there a few services on these routes which are Sprinters?

All I need is to bridge the gap between Manchester/ Warrington/ Liverpool, and Shrewsbury. Once in Shrewsbury its easy enough. Either via the HoW, Swansea and Cardiff or direct via Newport, then down to Bristol and on into Cornwall.
So is it possible to bridge that small gap? Are there any booked sprinters from Manchester to either Cardiff or Chester? Or is there another way im not thinking of?

Thanks.

0850 Manchester - Chester - Llandudno/Holyhead is 158 worked :D

Adam :D

Lewisham2221

Established Member

Thanks.

I have, recently, seen an ATW 158 at Piccadilly and Northern 150 at Chester. Whether these are common/booked workings, or rare ones, I do not know.

It's physically possible, if you go MAN-NOT, NOT-DBY, DBY-CRE using EMT services, but that's definitely going the long way round and I have no idea what tickets would be valid.

junglejames

Established Member
Pretty sure you can get 158s on Manchester-Cardiff. Either that or there are a few 150s on the Chester via Altrincham services.

Of course, the only Sprinters from Leeds to Manchester are to Victoria, so you'd have to either change at Huddersfield or at Manchester Victoria and Salford Crescent.
Another, more long-winded, option is to go Leeds-Nottingham (NT 158s) - Derby (on a Matlock service, usually a 156) - Crewe (153).

Hadnt thought about the direct Sprinters from Leeds to Manchester only going to Victoria. Wont be too difficult to change somewhere though. Theres always Leeds to Preston, then to Manchester, if I fancy another long winded way around!
Id actually considered the Leeds/ Manchester to Nottingham to Derby to Crewe option. What usually turns up on the Crewe to Chester Shuttle?

Its good to know there are quicker options though. Will have to find out what Manchester to Cardiff service throws up the 158. But with Manchester to Chester throwing up frequent Sprinters, I shouldnt have a problem. Im sure once in Chester there will be frequent Sprinters to Newport and Cardiff.

Ticket validity (as mentioned by someone) wont be a problem. I will only be doing it when i next get an ALR. Just something mad and rediculous im planning.
Some people plan to go skydiving. Some plan to go racing Ferraris. Me? I plan to do Wick to Penzance purely by Sprinter. When they let me out of my straitjacket:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
0850 Manchester - Chester - Llandudno/Holyhead is 158 worked :D

Adam :D

Cool. Cheers

jopsuk

Veteran Member
With some of the services being limited, how many days would this take?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
What usually turns up on the Crewe to Chester Shuttle?

Crewe-Chester is a 150 usually, but can be a 153, 158 or 175.
Crewe-Shrewsbury is usually a 150 (sometimes linked to HoW workings).
Chester-Shrewsbury-Birmingham is worked by 158s (175s are usually on the alternate Chester-Shrewsbury-Cardiff trains).

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
158 Manchester to Cardiff Saturday and Sunday only. Crewe to Shrewsbury 153. Go from Manchester to Chester on service quoted, then Chester to Birmingham New St on Holyhead to Birmingham International 158 and change for Nottingham to Cardiff on 170. Or alight Shrewsbury and via HOW but slower.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
158 Manchester to Cardiff Saturday and Sunday only. Crewe to Shrewsbury 153. Go from Manchester to Chester on service quoted, then Chester to Birmingham New St on Holyhead to Birmingham International 158 and change for Nottingham to Cardiff on 170. Or alight Shrewsbury and via HOW but slower.

I though of that too, but 170s are not Sprinters...
Similarly Birmingham-Worcester-Cheltenham-Cardiff doesn't work because of the LM 170/172s to Worcester.
At least that is what I though the original question meant by Sprinter (ie class 15x only)...

tbtc

Veteran Member
You could always come via Sheffield between Leeds and Manchester, if you fancy the scenery of the Hope Valley line (Northern 158 from Leeds to Sheffield, EMT 158 from Sheffield to Stockport/ Manchester, then a Northern 150/156 from Stockport to Chester, ATW 158 to Cardiff etc etc)

Sounds like a good photo blog

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
As far as I know, Manchester to Chester is all 175s with ATW, and all pacers with Northern. Or are there a few services on these routes which are Sprinters?

Quite a bit of the Manchester-Chester Northern diagrams are Sprinters, you can pick and choose from any of 142,150 or 156.

junglejames

Established Member
Crewe-Chester is a 150 usually, but can be a 153, 158 or 175.
Crewe-Shrewsbury is usually a 150 (sometimes linked to HoW workings).
Chester-Shrewsbury-Birmingham is worked by 158s (175s are usually on the alternate Chester-Shrewsbury-Cardiff trains).

Are the Chester to Cardiff trains nearly all 175s? No 158s?
Not good. Just adds even more time to the journey. Will have go via the HoW then.

tbtc

Veteran Member

I think that the general pattern is for 158s on the Birmingham - Holyhead/ Aberystwyth services and 175s on most of the Manchester services (to Cardiff and to Llandudno). I'm fairly sure that Cardiff - Holyhead sees some Sprinters, but there's at least some 175 operation on this too (?) - as ever with anything through Wrexham I'd trust merlodlliw if you need a breakdown of what's likely to operate on any service

junglejames

Established Member
With some of the services being limited, how many days would this take?

The only limited ones are Inverness to Edinburgh/ Glasgow. Apparently there is a 1045? to Edinburgh which is a 158 though.
If this is the case, I could make it as far as Carlisle in 1 day if I wanted to (the first service from Wick gets to Inverness about 1035 i think).
Theres an 0550 from Carlisle to Leeds, so getting as far as Cardiff on day 2 should be quite easy. If not further.
So I expect 3 days in total.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I think that the general pattern is for 158s on the Birmingham - Holyhead/ Aberystwyth services and 175s on most of the Manchester services (to Cardiff and to Llandudno). I'm fairly sure that Cardiff - Holyhead sees some Sprinters, but there's at least some 175 operation on this too (?) - as ever with anything through Wrexham I'd trust merlodlliw if you need a breakdown of what's likely to operate on any service

ATW had some bad luck with 175's hitting things that shouldn't have been on level crossing last year so some of the 175 diagrams got 158's in lieu however i think there all back in service now. Some of the Holyhead- Cardiff diagrams turn up as 158's - though make sure none of the trains are peak in anyway i.e connect with ferry at Holyhead or go through Cardiff 8-9 or 4-7 ATW try and diagram the 3 car 175's in these slots.

Though I think the HoW is your best bet south of Shrewsbury one of the diagrams goes forward to Cardiff from Swansea (0915 off Salop), Cardiff to Portsmouth is all 158 worked and the Cardiff-Taunton is 150.

D1009

Established Member
Some people plan to go skydiving. Some plan to go racing Ferraris. Me? I plan to do Wick to Penzance purely by Sprinter. When they let me out of my straitjacket:lol:

And people moan about Voyagers being unsuitable for long distance travel !

David

Established Member
It's still a better idea than one I saw proposed on here (either last year or early this year) ....

24 hours on Pacers! :shock:

Butts

Veteran Member
This is pure insanity - "Sprint" from Thurso to "Wick" and Newquay to Penzance........

Inbetween take a bloody plane !!!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I though of that too, but 170s are not Sprinters...
Similarly Birmingham-Worcester-Cheltenham-Cardiff doesn't work because of the LM 170/172s to Worcester.
At least that is what I though the original question meant by Sprinter (ie class 15x only)...
There's still one all day diagram for one of London Midland's 150s on the Birmingham to Worcester route.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
ATW had some bad luck with 175's hitting things that shouldn't have been on level crossing last year so some of the 175 diagrams got 158's in lieu however i think there all back in service now. Some of the Holyhead- Cardiff diagrams turn up as 158's - though make sure none of the trains are peak in anyway i.e connect with ferry at Holyhead or go through Cardiff 8-9 or 4-7 ATW try and diagram the 3 car 175's in these slots.

Though I think the HoW is your best bet south of Shrewsbury one of the diagrams goes forward to Cardiff from Swansea (0915 off Salop), Cardiff to Portsmouth is all 158 worked and the Cardiff-Taunton is 150.
All booked 175s but possibility of 158 turning up or even 150 depending on availability on day. To plan beforehand use Holyhead to Birmingham and HOW. No problem on FGW as everything (apart from HSTs) is 15x.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Not good. Just adds even more time to the journey. Will have go via the HoW then.

If you were doing the reverse journey we know the 1621 Cardiff-Crewe-Chester is a 150.
Another rule of thumb I use is that diagrams that start or end at Shrewsbury will likely be 15x.

junglejames

Established Member
And people moan about Voyagers being unsuitable for long distance travel !

Well I could be pedantic and say the longest actual single journey is probably Wick to Inverness!!
However, without wishing to get onto voyager bashing, I find all Sprinters much more pleasant to travel on than voyagers. Plenty of reasons for it, but im not listing it all.

Anyway, its something different. Its less dangerous than skydiving:lol:
This is pure insanity - "Sprint" from Thurso to "Wick" and Newquay to Penzance........

Inbetween take a bloody plane !!!

I dont do national flights. I wont even fly to Ireland. I have no need to.
On top of that. Im doing this as something different and querky. I want it to be something to look back on. Flying is neither of these.
I want to enjoy it. Flying is insanely boring.
Im doing this for the journey more than anything. I dont fly just for the journey. I only fly if I want to actually go somewhere.

Bascially, there is not a cat in hells chance that i would fly. I would sooner not do it.

However, I accept that it is insanity. But plenty of people do insane things, just for the pure hell of it. Skydiving being one of them!!
I know someone that went to every single Mark Knopfler concert on his 2010 tour. Because it was a challenge, and allowed him to combine things he enjoyed. ie writing, travelling, and good music.
That was insanity of the highest order. But its something that makes us unique. The insane things we do just for the challenge.

However I can honestly say ive done worse things. Twice ive flown back from Aussie in economy. Now thats insane!!
It's still a better idea than one I saw proposed on here (either last year or early this year) ....

24 hours on Pacers! :shock:

I saw an even worse idea once. Run a voyager all the way from Scotland to Penzance. Oh wait.........

Butts

Veteran Member
Would it be "technically possible" for The Highland Chieftan class of locomotive to complete the Wick to Penzance journey, and if it went non-stop how long would it take ?

Status
Not open for further replies.