Wigan - Charlbury/Oxford return

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Gathursty, 8 Feb 2019.

1. Gathursty

Gathursty Established Member

I'm looking to ride the Cotswold Line in full in one direction from Wigan over the upcoming half-term for the best value. I assume Charlbury or Oxford would count as 'destinations' in this sense as there is no applicable rover to help me here.

I have a 26-30 railcard and could travel any day of the week apart from a Sunday.

I'd like the best walk-up price and I'm more than happy to leave Wigan on the first southbound (WCML) train of the day if need be.

I'm fine with splits.

Thanks.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

The cheapest I can see is £48
    That's with a Wigan - Crewe, Crewe - Wolverhampton and Wolverhampton - Charlbury Off Peak day returns.
    That's with an itinerary of: Wigan - Wolverhampton - Swethwick - Worcester - Charlbury - Oxford - Leamington Spa - Coventry - Wigan

4. bkhtele

bkhtele Member

Have a look at the Cotswold Discover ranger approx £11 bus & train plus advance/split tickets Wigan to Moreton on Marsh

5. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

The Heart of England 3 in 7 Rover is £56.90 with a railcard.
    It is valid after 0900 from Crewe (or Chester/Stoke/Derby) to Oxford via any route through the Midlands to Oxford/Northampton/Gloucester, including the Cotswold line.
    Includes routes via Hereford and Leicester.
    Very handy if you want to make a couple of very different trips through the area in a single week, or do a triangular trip.
    Also more flexible than the through walk-on fare via Banbury (SVR £53.85).
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prfa8cb80a0400040054ce2b5473d398.aspx

CDR Wigan-Crewe is £9.30 (after 0930).

6. Gathursty

Gathursty Established Member

Many thanks. It will be @cactustwirly suggestion for me.

I did consider after your post why you didn't suggest Smethwick Galton Bridge as a splitting point but there are spies amongst us.