• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan North Western [WGN] to Southampton Central [SOU] Period Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I'm leaving Wigan about 10am on 18th July and returning the day after after 5pm. I have a 16-25 railcard and on the 19th I can use the SWT network free of charge. I'd like to travel as cheaply as possible as well. I wouldn't like to go through London but I'll let the price dictate my preference. Any tips?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
There's no Anytime Day Return for such a long journey, nor would one be useful as you are not returning same day.

Do you require flexibility or are you happy to be tied to specific trains?

Gathursty

Established Member
Ah, thanks for that island. Going there I can be flexible but returning I'm happy to be tied down to a specific train.

Gathursty

Established Member
So far I've found an off peak return to Banbury for £32.50 and I could buy 2 Advance singles between Banbury and Basingstoke and back and then another Advance between Basingstoke and Southampton Central at around £9 a piece which is about £60. Ideally I'd like something less than £50.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
All day returns (Off-Peak if appropriate):

Wigan Stations - Crewe;
Wrexham General - Birmingham (valid via Chester and Crewe and no break of journey restriction);
Birmingham - Leamington Spa;
Leamington Spa - Banbury;
Banbury - Oxford;
Oxford - Basingstoke;
Basingstoke - Southampton Central;

give a total of just under £51.

island

Veteran Member
All day returns (Off-Peak if appropriate):

Wigan Stations - Crewe;
Wrexham General - Birmingham (valid via Chester and Crewe and no break of journey restriction);
Birmingham - Leamington Spa;
Leamington Spa - Banbury;
Banbury - Oxford;
Oxford - Basingstoke;
Basingstoke - Southampton Central;

give a total of just under £51.

None of which are any use since the OP wishes to return on a different day :)

I could not find anything better than an off-peak return from Wigan Stations to London Terminals £49, valid on any Virgin train both ways, and then a CDS from London Terminals to Southampton Ctl route SOUTHERN ONLY £16.75 (the OP did say he was looking for it to be cheap), plus two Zone 1 tube journeys £1.30 each, coming to £68.35. Which is more than the SVR route NOT VIA LONDON at £64.30.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah, one more. There are £6.60 Southern advances on many of the xx32 services off Victoria, knocking £10.15 off the total.

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
If you can leave Wigan North Western at 09:28 -
Anytime Return Wigan-Crewe £11:35
Advance for 10:33 LM Crewe-Watford Junction £7:60
Southern Downlander ticket - allowing OP to travel Watford Junction-Clapham Junction and then any Southern service to Southampton from Clapham Junction £12:50.
for return
SWT Free to Clapham Junction
£4.90 single Clapham Junction-Watford Junction
19:42 Watford to Crewe change at MKC £17:50
Total £53:85 though it does avoid cross London tube transfer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.