• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan to Edinburgh, Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyaloud

I have a VTWC advance purchased in December, I was wondering if I can get the Glasgow Virgin train diverted via Kilmarnock from Carlisle, and then a Scotrail (or any other) train from Glasgow to Edinburgh?

Also, could I go via Manchester, Newcastle and VTEC? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
With a VTWC Advance you can travel on a VTWC service to Glasgow via Kilmarnock and then use Scotrail from there to Edinburgh. You cannot use a TPE service between Wigan and Carlisle.

You cannot travel via the ECML using TPE and VTEC unless you have any Anytime or Off Peak (walk up) ticket.

Advance ticket holders must still travel using the same train company and routes as originally booked.

General Zod

With a VTWC Advance you can travel on a VTWC service to Glasgow via Kilmarnock and then use Scotrail from there to Edinburgh.

I was under the impression that VTWC wanted Edinburgh passengers to travel as far as Carlisle and then get the "Rail Replacement Coach" service. Being allowed to use Scotrail between Glasgow and Edinburgh on an VTWC Advance is definitely a bonus !

Virgin Trains Website said:
Customers travelling between Edinburgh and Carlisle and destinations in North West England and the West Midlands should continue to use the replacement bus services.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I was under the impression that VTWC wanted Edinburgh passengers to travel as far as Carlisle and then get the "Rail Replacement Coach" service. Being allowed to use Scotrail between Glasgow and Edinburgh on an VTWC Advance is definitely a bonus !

Well it seems that, as usual, the different sources of information are confusing. I was under the impression that VTWC tickets were allowed via Glasgow to go on Scotrail to Edinburgh, and checked NRE which indicated that was the case, although now I check again and re-read it, I may have read it wrong. There is a paragraph that says, under the alternative travel options for Virgin Trains, "Passengers may also use ScotRail services between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh / Carlisle.". But this may apply only to those with walk up tickets.

General Zod

I'm going to Edinburgh in a few weeks on a Birmingham New St - Edinburgh VTWC Advance but will double check with Scotrail to see if the ticket is valid between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.