• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan to Reading to Bedford back to Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BangOnBeef

Good Afternoon,

I will be travelling on 19th December from Wigan to Reading arriving approximately 1300. I will then be travelling to from Reading to Bedford on the same day 19th (Leaving Reading around 1630).

I will then travel back to Wigan from Bedford on 20th December departing Bedford at 1200-ish.

Can anyone assist as I have no travel card and I'm unsure what the best route is.

19/12/19 - Wigan to Reading (Arriving 1300)
19/12/19 - Reading to Bedford (Departing 1630)
20/12/19 - Bedford to Wigan Departing 1200)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
An Off Peak Return from Wigan to Bedford would cover all journeys, as Wigan to Bedford tickets are valid via Reading.

Buying the £77.50 “via Chesterfield” return and excessing the outward portion only to “via London” for an excess fee of £18.05 would give a total of £95.55.

You couldn’t use Virgin Trains on the 19th if their destination is London and their arrival time there is pre-11am, however. On your way down to Reading, you’d be changing at Birmingham and possibly a couple of other places en-route depending on timings.

There are probably cheaper options tbh. Have you looked into Trainsplit?

Veteran Member
An Off Peak Return from Wigan to Bedford would cover all journeys, as Wigan to Bedford tickets are valid via Reading.

Buying the £77.50 “via Chesterfield” return and excessing the outward portion only to “via London” for an excess fee of £18.05 would give a total of £95.55.

You couldn’t use Virgin Trains on the 19th if their destination is London and their arrival time there is pre-11am, however. On your way down to Reading, you’d be changing at Birmingham and possibly a couple of other places en-route depending on timings.
The suggested fare would be fine on the 0829 Wigan-Wolverhampton, changing there for Reading, and anytime that day onward to Bedford.
You could then return via London, which is quickest, via Bletchley, via Leicester and Tamworth/Birmingham, or via Derby and Crewe
The cheaper VIA CHESTERFIELD fare means you have to return via Leicester, Sheffield and Manchester Piccadilly and is the slowest option.
Bear in mind that Friday 20th is probably the busiest day for travel, and whichever route you use will be busy! However, there are no relevant time restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.