Wigan via Newton le Willows

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by jettyboy, 27 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jettyboy

jettyboy New Member

i have been wondering for some time now why cant I get a direct train to Wigan from Newton le Willows [[stn]NLW[/stn]]. I'm sure many years ago it was possible. can anyone give me any info as to who/where I need to direct my query for consideration

thanks in advance

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Northern Rail / the DfT, however I suspect this will change when the Northern Hub plans are completed.

What do you want to be considered?

4. jettyboy

jettyboy New Member

Matt
    thanks for your quick reply
    simply looking for a regular service that passes through NLW
    currently i would need to go to Huyton or Warrington to get there with no quick connecting service
    bearing in mind Wigan is only as far away as St Helens & Warrington! but i either have to go by car or bus!!!
    i have had a quick look at the Northern Hub plan but i dont think has a direct effect on just routeing a regular service

5. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

It is somewhat surprising, I'll give you that. What I meant was was that when the Northern Hub is finished, I suspect quite a few services around this way (I'm in Lancashire) will change.

6. snail

snail Established Member

But unlike St Helens and Warrington, Newton-le-Willows isn't on a direct route from Liverpool. There is a chance something like Liverpool-Blackpool could be rerouted that way after electrification is extended but that is some time off!

7. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

There is one train from Wigan to Newton-Le-Willows in the morning and one train from Wigan to Newton-Le-Willows in the evening, there are no trains from Newton-Le-Willows to Wigan.

8. jettyboy

jettyboy New Member

Snail
    not sure what you mean as NLW is on a direct line from Liverpool to Manchester.
    routing one of the services that pass through St Helens Central via St Helens Junction & NLW is a reasonable idea, well to me at least and quite probably those other people from St Helens area who get on at Rainhill, Lea Green & Whiston.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    well i have just read through The Northern Hub Plan.
    whilst it indicates electrification of Lime St to Wigan & Lime St to Manchester (Chat Moss route) there is no indication to allow for a Lime St -Wigan/Preston service, mainly because of the desire to increase journey times to Victoria.
    This wouldnt prevent a service currently using the WCML to go via NLW but based on all i have read so far, i cant see it happening :cry:
    ah well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.