• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan Wallgate Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

1> Does anyone have any information on current refurbishment going on at the station and when it will be finished

2> How often if at all is the Southport/Kirkby by-directional platform used for trains going towards Hindley

3> Does anything these days use the connection from Wallgate onto the Liverpool/Warrington Bank Quay lines just outside Wallgate Station

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
1. A few months, its just a small general refurbishment renovating the platform buildings and relocating the ticket office 90 degrees to where the news stand used to be.
2. Ive never personally seen it used for Hindley services
3. Ive been on the occasional Manchester train terminating in North Western rather than Wallgate due to platform availability.

WCMLaddict

I started using Wallgate often lately and cannot wait for the refurb to be finished. I actually feel for the ticket guys standing there at the bottom of the stairs whole day. Pity it doesn't look like they are going to upgrade the waiting room at all.

Re 3) There is a regular train going from Wigan NW onto the Hindley line but I've never seen anything going from the mainline into Wallgate

John55

I started using Wallgate often lately and cannot wait for the refurb to be finished. I actually feel for the ticket guys standing there at the bottom of the stairs whole day. Pity it doesn't look like they are going to upgrade the waiting room at all.

Re 3) There is a regular train going from Wigan NW onto the Hindley line but I've never seen anything going from the mainline into Wallgate

Unfortunately I don't remember full details but a month or too back during some engineering work the last train of the day from Lime St to Wigan was advertised as terminating at Wallgate. This wasn't a one off and did occur more several times.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
As far as I can see, nothing is booked to use platform 1 in the Manchester direction, it is used solely by Southport / Kirkby trains and those terminating ex-Manchester Victoria.

Established Member
I believe there is one Northern service in the morning that runs from Wigan NW to Man Vic, and a return working in the evening peak. Everything else runs into Wallgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.