• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wikipedia Bans Daily Mail as 'Unreliable' Source

Which of the two do you trust more/would use for information

• Daily Mail

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Wikipedia

Votes: 48 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I agree that Mail doesn't deserve the description of a newspaper, but most of this seems to be a debate on Brexit rather than the Mail's value as a source of information...

Noting the matter of both Wikipedia and the Daily Mail, then also noting the denial of a number of people on this thread that the Daily Mail is a newspaper, it is therefore interesting to note how that matter is viewed by Wikipedia, their article on the Daily Mail begins...."The Daily Mail is a British daily middle-class tabloid newspaper"

Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I think the apparent contradiction is because while the Daily Mail is a newspaper (as a matter of fact), some people don't think it deserves that title (as a matter of belief).

Problems only occur when people are unable to distinguish between the two (as is increasingly common in political discourse).

Howardh

Established Member
Wikipedia wont publish links to Daily Mail stories, Daily Mail is asking for evidence of facebook untruths.

OK< here's the senario, you are on a desert island and you only have two choices for accurate information, the Mail or Wikipedia

Which do you go to?? ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If it was a choice between the two, obviously Wikipedia because you can at least check the sources. Inaccurate information can be corrected.

With The Mail, you can virtually guarantee it's either inaccurate or incredibly biased and that's just the way it is.

Edit: as discussed via PM, I have merged the poll thread into the pre-existing one.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Wikipedia may not always be accurate but at least it tries unlike the Daily Mail.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm quite afraid to read that two people (at the time of posting) would rather go to DM :oops:

najaB

Veteran Member
I agree with yorkie - I wouldn't *trust* either, but at least with Wikipedia you can normally check their sources.

me123

Established Member
Absolutely Wikipedia. Wikipedia has strict editorial guidelines and demands sources which are made publicly available, so more dubious statements can be independently fact checked. It doesn't mean it is 100% effective, but you have the ability to verify just about every single sentence on Wikipedia.

The Mail, on the other hand and as we've already discussed, has proven itself to be not only untrustworthy but in many instances deliberately deceptive and biased. Sources are not ready available. Why would anyone go to the Mail for facts? Opinions, perhaps, but not facts.

Plus, if I was on a desert island, I'd much rather have access to Wikipedia which is undoubtedly a much more comprehensive resource than probably any other website on the planet.

Last edited:

dosxuk

Established Member
Noting the matter of both Wikipedia and the Daily Mail, then also noting the denial of a number of people on this thread that the Daily Mail is a newspaper, it is therefore interesting to note how that matter is viewed by Wikipedia, their article on the Daily Mail begins...."The Daily Mail is a British daily middle-class tabloid newspaper"

It's important to recognise the difference between the Daily Mail, and Mail Online. The former is a British daily middle-class tabloid newspaper, the later is a click-bait, celebrity-tits, populist and provocative cess pitt designed solely to get advert views. The former has to tread carefully around libel laws and has to print corrections when they get things wrong, the latter just removes the offending lines and pretends they were never there (often resulting in a headline that completely contradicts the article).

Wikipedia can only link to the Mail Online (although you can reference items in print, online sources are always preferred), and Mail Online has no desire to be a reputable source when they can make more money from posting pictures of boobs instead.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Anyone using Wikipedia as a reliable source should be publicly flogged. People should research the validity of their arguments through various sources, rather than any single source. I never use wiki as a research tool. It is far too flawed.

Useful for checking whether somebody whom you've not heard of lately, but formerly in the public eye, has died, but otherwise I tend to agree.

Hornet

The question is which of the two - if you wouldn't use either then don't vote.

I didn't, as neither options reflect my, (or I suspect many others) views. It should be truly reflective of Public Opinion, which it isn't.

najaB

Veteran Member
Useful for checking whether somebody whom you've not heard of lately, but formerly in the public eye, has died, but otherwise I tend to agree.
It's also useful for getting links to primary sources. I find it's generally okay as long as you are looking for factual information and stay clear of sections with titles like 'Controversies' and 'Politics'.

Last edited:

Established Member
Not all the journalism in the Mail is bad, some of it is the best in the industry imo - the news can be excellent.

Where it falls down is on the 'columnists opinions' and biased political sections - these just go unchecked and are simply one sided, hate filled and biased.

najaB

Veteran Member
Not all the journalism in the Mail is bad, some of it is the best in the industry imo - the news can be excellent.

Where it falls down is on the 'columnists opinions' and biased political sections - these just go unchecked and are simply one sided, hate filled and biased.
As posted upthread, there's a huge difference between The Mail Online and The Daily Mail.

DaleCooper

Established Member
A little while ago I was listening to Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" which has a bit of advice relevant to this thread and life in general.
People say believe half of what you see
Son and none of what you hear

Andyjs247

Saw this on my Piccadilly Line train this afternoon...

Daily Mail Free Zone

Please show consideration for fellow passengers by not reading or leaving copies of the Sun, Daily Mail or Express newspaper in this coach.

Hadn't seen one of these before but it brightened up my day!

Attachments

• 20170305_DM-Free.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 16

meridian2

A little while ago I was listening to Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" which has a bit of advice relevant to this thread and life in general.
"People say believe half of what you see
Son and none of what you hear"
As Marvin's father shot him dead, not the best source of advice perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.