• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wild camping in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednick

There's a rule where anybody has the right to put up a tent and camp for free in Scotland, providing the land is unenclosed and it's not in the Loch Lomond area.

I haven't done wild camping in Scotland before, but I'm seriously considering it for this year.

Can somebody please clarify how this works exactly?

So, for instance, I saw somebody camping on a stretch of grass adjacent to a car park right in the centre of the small town of Kyle of Lochalsh last year. Is that definitely allowed?

Does it mean that I can literally just put my tent where I want, as long as I'm sensible about it?

Are the only negatives the fact that there's no toilet or place to wash?

What about animals? How do I know that some wild goat's not going to trample over me during the night?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member

What about animals? How do I know that some wild goat's not going to trample over me during the night?
This is a serious problem for wild campers anywhwere, but particularly in Scotland - although it depends upon which county you are in. According to Scottish statistical office data, (www.scotstat.wildgoatdeaths/2018) you have a 1 in 972 chance of being trampled on by a wild goat or a wild goat's if you camp wild in Morayshire, Midlothian or the environs of Stranraer. Safest place to avoid wild goats/goat's/goats' is Nairn, but if you camp on the beach you risk being squashed by a stray dolphin.
Take yer pick - but it's very likely you'll get it either from a goat or dolphin. Goats smell more though, unless the dolphin has been dead for more than two days.

Essan

Does it mean that I can literally just put my tent where I want, as long as I'm sensible about it?

More or less.

Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply, but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner's permission.

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/camping

Personally, I still find it strange to pitch a tent within view of a footpath, let alone a road!

jednick

This is a serious problem for wild campers anywhwere, but particularly in Scotland - although it depends upon which county you are in. According to Scottish statistical office data, (www.scotstat.wildgoatdeaths/2018) you have a 1 in 972 chance of being trampled on by a wild goat or a wild goat's if you camp wild in Morayshire, Midlothian or the environs of Stranraer. Safest place to avoid wild goats/goat's/goats' is Nairn, but if you camp on the beach you risk being squashed by a stray dolphin.
Take yer pick - but it's very likely you'll get it either from a goat or dolphin. Goats smell more though, unless the dolphin has been dead for more than two days.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, it's riskier than I thought!
About camping on a beach: That's a good idea. I'd probably choose a sandy beach though. Obviously I'll have to make sure the tide won't come in, I'd be sensible about it. Is that definitely allowed, camping on beaches? If so, would that include beaches in built-up areas (eg, Aberdeen)?

Essan

Conversely, in England and Wales it's illegal to camp anywhere without permission - except for parts of Dartmoor, including the MoD live firing ranges!

And on a serious note, the only wild animals that are likely to attack you in Scotland are ticks, clegs and midges. Except during the haggis rut, when wild campers are advised to hang all food from trees at least 28ft off the ground and not camp within a 2 mile radius.

jednick

[Q
More or less.

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/practical-guide-all/camping

Personally, I still find it strange to pitch a tent within view of a footpath, let alone a road!

Thanks for the reply. I'm travelling around Scotland with a tent in April or May, for several nights. Have you actually done this yourself? I'd like to know if anybody ever bothers you or says anything? Also, I suppose it wouldn't be recommended that a tent is left up during the day when I'm not there; am I best to take it down and carry it with me when I'm not actually sleeping in it?

jednick

Conversely, in England and Wales it's illegal to camp anywhere without permission - except for parts of Dartmoor, including the MoD live firing ranges!

And on a serious note, the only wild animals that are likely to attack you in Scotland are ticks, clegs and midges. Except during the haggis rut, when wild campers are advised to hang all food from trees at least 28ft off the ground and not camp within a 2 mile radius.

I'm going to the Mallaig area, so I'm best to go before June, to avoid the midges, apparently there are lots in that area?

jednick

I've just noticed you might be located near Mallaig. Do you know of any suitable places to wild camp, say within a mile or two of Mallaig? Anywhere actually suitable in the town itself?

Essan

Thanks for the reply. I'm travelling around Scotland with a tent in April or May, for several nights. Have you actually done this yourself? I'd like to know if anybody ever bothers you or says anything? Also, I suppose it wouldn't be recommended that a tent is left up during the day when I'm not there; am I best to take it down and carry it with me when I'm not actually sleeping in it?

Yes and no - I am usually doing proper wild camping, ie miles from anywhere! It really depends where you are. Around the central belt I'd not advise camping anywhere outside of a proper site; in the Highlands you should be absolutely fine - though were I in somewhere like Mallaig or Kyle I'd be inclined to wander a little out of town before finding a spot. A spot on the coast just above the high tide line is usually pretty good, though again, not advisable in a town or city.

Essan

I've just noticed you might be located near Mallaig. Do you know of any suitable places to wild camp, say within a mile or two of Mallaig? Anywhere actually suitable in the town itself?

Actually, I spend most of my time nearer to you in Evesham ;)

If you're going to be around Mallaig than a) you should be fine camping almost anywhere b) there are a few good spots along the coast to the south. But you might want to consider Morar - one of Britain's best Caribbean beaches :) And definitely fine for wild camping. And c) yes, before June is best for avoiding midges - though a coastal breeze will keep them away

jednick

Actually, I spend most of my time nearer to you in Evesham ;)

If you're going to be around Mallaig than a) you should be fine camping almost anywhere b) there are a few good spots along the coast to the south. But you might want to consider Morar - one of Britain's best Caribbean beaches :) And definitely fine for wild camping. And c) yes, before June is best for avoiding midges - though a coastal breeze will keep them away
I noticed you're in Evesham - I know it well and it's my favourite town in Worcestershire.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking about camping near Morar, after I've visited Mallaig. Not sure if I could walk there from Mallaig, it's maybe 5 miles at a guess. I might time it so I get one of the irregular trains or buses from Mallaig to Morar, is that an idea? Also, do you know if I could walk around the coast from Mallaig to Morar, or do I have to partly walk along the A road?

Essan

I noticed you're in Evesham - I know it well and it's my favourite town in Worcestershire.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking about camping near Morar, after I've visited Mallaig. Not sure if I could walk there from Mallaig, it's maybe 5 miles at a guess. I might time it so I get one of the irregular trains or buses from Mallaig to Morar, is that an idea? Also, do you know if I could walk around the coast from Mallaig to Morar, or do I have to partly walk along the A road?

It's only about 3 miles along the road so little more than an hour's walk - or you could take the coast after the first mile and you'd likely find some spots there really away from it all, but it'll be slower going with no path. Obviously Shiel bus or train is another option to avoid the walk.

The views out west, especially at sunset, are to die for. If you ever saw the film Local Hero, that's where the beach scenes were filmed.

jednick

It's only about 3 miles along the road so little more than an hour's walk - or you could take the coast after the first mile and you'd likely find some spots there really away from it all, but it'll be slower going with no path. Obviously Shiel bus or train is another option to avoid the walk.

The views out west, especially at sunset, are to die for. If you ever saw the film Local Hero, that's where the beach scenes were filmed.
I've never seen Local Hero, but the views sound great. Actually, I've just Googled photos of Morar beach for the first time and it looks incredible.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
About camping on a beach: That's a good idea. I'd probably choose a sandy beach though. Obviously I'll have to make sure the tide won't come in, I'd be sensible about it. Is that definitely allowed, camping on beaches? If so, would that include beaches in built-up areas (eg, Aberdeen)?
There could be a problem with camping on a beach though.
I was up there one year when there was a tideline of jellyfish all around the coast.
Imagine coming out of the tent in the dark for a wee, tripping over the dead dolphin and landing face first in a greasy slick of angry Subphylum Medusozoa.
I'd take a chance with the goats...

jednick

I insist on having a wash and also washing my hair every single day.

To wash myself, Iwas thinking of popping into a toilet in Fort William's Wetherspoons, using the toilet on the train, or going in the sea if it's warm enough.

Any better ideas regarding how I can have a wash each day when I'm wild camping?

cactustwirly

Established Member

To wash myself, Iwas thinking of popping into a toilet in Fort William's Wetherspoons, using the toilet on the train, or going in the sea if it's warm enough.

Any better ideas regarding how I can have a wash each day when I'm wild camping?

Buy yourself a solar shower?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I once ran naked into the water at Morar.
Just saying.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There are nicer beaches to the north of Aberdeen, although I'd be wary of straying into Trump territory - his thugs security staff have a bit of a reputation, including one case where a woman who was caught short was actually filmed by them. But you're not going there, so probably needn't worry!

Having just returned from a walk along the Nairn coastline I can confirm that I witnessed no stray dolphins, alive or dead. There were meeelions of dogs, though. I am somewhat concerned about being accosted by wild goats on the way home, however.

Elwyn

Does anybody know anywhere I could wild camp in, or very near to, Oban?

You could probably wild camp on Kerrera. That’s the big island in Oban harbour. There’s 2 regular ferries across (the Calmac ferry takes 5 minutes and costs £4.80 return. Runs all day from 0800 to 1800.). Fair bit of open land on the west and southern sides of the island. There’s a contact number on this link, if you want to check with someone on the island:

https://www.visitkerrera.co.uk

More information and some pictures here:

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/kerrera/kerrera/index.html

Calmac timetable:

https://www.calmac.co.uk/gallanach-kerrera-ferry-summer-timetable

Alternatively you could take the dead end road south from Oban to Gallanachmore. 3 to 4 miles long. You'll likely find something there, especially if you are happy to climb up the hills a bit. Should get good views out to sea.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member

Fort William Station has a toilet .

jednick

I'm still camping around Mallaig but I'm travelling to Scotland a few days earlier and travelling around Aberdeenshire for two days.

Does anybody know any suitable places to do wild camping with my tent in the Aberdeen area, or say within 20 miles of the city?

What about actually on the beach, in or around Stonehaven or Aberdeen itself?

Journeyman

Established Member
So, for instance, I saw somebody camping on a stretch of grass adjacent to a car park right in the centre of the small town of Kyle of Lochalsh last year. Is that definitely allowed?

It is, but I wouldn't suggest it was a particularly good idea.

If you want to ease yourself in gently, you could camp close to a bothy, which gives you a back-up with solid walls (although not a lot else) close by. Bothies are an amazing resource and great fun to stay in.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
We have wild camped in Scotland several times in the van and had no trouble. For us the best sites are often things like forestry commission car parks as they are sheltered and secluded and quiet. We have parked up in Ferry terminal carparks and kipped several times. We have also used laybys as well. We even slept at the Kelpies one night. I think the best advice is just be sensible and respectful and try to check out your place in day light.

Animals aren't an issue for us but he midges are right little barstewards!

If you are walking it wont make any difference. Just have a flannel wash and when you get to a town try and find some facilities. We have gone a maximum of 3 days without a shower in the van. Any more starts to hum a bit! We do have an on board shower but the weight of carrying the clean and waste water and heating it isnt worth the cost/diesel especially on rural roads when fuel efficiency is already pretty low.

Status
Not open for further replies.