• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will Celia replace Phil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Don't worry about it! We're all nice really.

I rather like Anne, actually, for nostalgic reasons, because York and Leeds were firmly Anne-territory when I was growing up.

It's the same reason why I like Celia/Phil, I grew up hearing them at Reading (now ATOS Anne)

I can rememnber waiting for my train home and hearing...

"Platform 9 for the xx03/33 First Great Western service to Ealing Broadway calling at..."

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I think that what SWR have done is splice together in some editing software both the South West Trains and Great Western Railway parts of the announcement together to create a posthumous announcement from the late Phil Sayer.

If Phil still announces on the London Midland network then I do imagine that whoever has got the West Midlands franchise would probably do the same, considering that its cheaper to re-edit existing announcements without too many issues. It has to be said that I prefer the Celia/Phil combo (as per Southern) as each one can voice platform specific announcements, something that I think should become widespread as its distinguishable enough.

As I've mentioned in earlier on in the thread, I wouldn't mind providing a TOC with a batch of new announcements considering that I also host on the radio. The question is, where to go from there?

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
LM is using Atos Annie at most stations. An interesting new one is the use of a totally synthesized job (obviously so) at Dyfi Junction on ATW - in Welsh too!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not sure what system London Underground use at King's Cross St. Pancras, but it sounds like a text to speech system. It's a bit grating though, as the pronunciation is off (e.g. the Pick-ah-dilly Line instead of Pickerdilly).

I think you're right that it is a text to speech system. I heard it doing an announcement promoting Contactless payments the other day which was very, very odd!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
NorthernSpirit, that's a pretty cool job you have there and it can give you a great advantage. I imagine signing up to a few voice-over agencies would be the next step?

Thanks for the head up. I should state that its community radio that I do but also I host on a couple of RSL's too. I'll have to have a look for the V/O agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.