• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will tapping in at the Gatwick Airport gateline at Victoria with a travelcard charge a fare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmh

Established Member
My comment was specifically in response to MikeWh's comment:

...which specifically says the word "overcharged". If there's no overcharging, how are you overcharged?

You could be overcharged in the (rare, but I've used a non-Gatwick Express train from the GatEx platforms once) case of the GatEx platforms being used by a normal service to a non-Gatwick destination and had started your journey elsewhere, because there is no Out-of-Station Interchange at the GatEx platforms. So you could be charged two separate fares for a journey which would normally charge a single fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
My comment was specifically in response to MikeWh's comment...

...which specifically says the word "overcharged". If there's no overcharging, how are you overcharged?

Aha I get you. I think he's referring to journeys to or from PAYG stations other that Gatwick, when passing through the p13&14 gateline - when using said gateline it could split up a single through journey into two journeys and that could be detrimental.

An example - if you had a zones 1&2 Travelcard-on-Oyster and are travelling from Rayners Lane (zone 5) to East Croydon (also zone 5), you should only pay £3.00 peak / £2.70 off-peak (the multimodal fare for zones 3-5) once.

However if you passed through the p13 & 14 gateline at Victoria that would break the through journey up (as there's no OSI configured) and you'd pay the extra for the zones 3-5 travel twice over (specifically £2.40/£1.50 for Rayners Lane/zone 5 to zone 3 at the TfL rate, and £3.00/£2.70 for zone 3 to East Croydon/zone 5 at the NR rate).

Likewise if you were just doing a straightforward PAYG journey, it would be charged as two journeys (split at Victoria) rather than a through journey. (I'd hope this doesn't happen when using contactless as the fares are calculated in the back office.)

It would only happen if your train from Victoria to East Croydon was using platform 13 or 14 - most of the time this doesn't happen.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yet not applying the extention fare between Gatwick and whatever boundary season held on the oyster card. When there is the technical means to do so and is done on the rest of the network is not being within the spirit of the atoc conditions of carriage. Unlike hs1 Travelcards are valid on the Gatwick express and can be combined with other tickets to gatwick
GTR/DfT specified that travelcards were not to be accepted on the GatEx when using Oyster/contactless. There was no technical reason not to program this so TfL did.

I agree that they should allow it, and quite possibly TfL do too, but their hands are tied.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
(I'd hope this doesn't happen when using contactless as the fares are calculated in the back office.)
Willing to be proved wrong, but I think it will. Contactless uses the same single fares as Oyster and there are no fares linking the world to platforms 13/14 so it would be treated as two separate journeys.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Willing to be proved wrong, but I think it will. Contactless uses the same single fares as Oyster and there are no fares linking the world to platforms 13/14 so it would be treated as two separate journeys.
If there is no osi backoffice programming will not have an effect. Any journeys joined together in the back office is done automatically and as such they will not link the victoria 13/14 journeys together and the other platform journeys.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

Unless they've programmed in a linkage, which would be good if so.

Nick66

It would only happen if your train from Victoria to East Croydon was using platform 13 or 14 - most of the time this doesn't happen.
On the 4 or 5 occasions my non-GatEx train has left from the GatEx platforms we were clearly told to use the platform 9-12 gateline and the side gate to P13 was opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.