• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will TfL fix a failure to touch out

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I am getting on at Kentish Town later going to Brighton using last service of day changing at East Croydon. I have a ticket that covers me from London Terminals. So I won't have time to touch out at say Blackfriars using oyster and then switch to my national rail ticket. Will I be able to phone TfL after to get this corrected without problems?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
I highly doubt it. They'll just have you down as failing to touch out (thus charging you a maximum fare) and say that it's your responsibility to ensure you have enough connection time.

silvercar

I would say very likely. Providing you don't have too many failures on account, their helpline is generally good about correcting failures to touch out.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I had a missing touch out at Euston because I had a cross-London Advance ticket which I'd forgotten to use on the way in too, and had mistakenly used Oyster.

Sorted in about five minutes after ringing the helpline.

SaveECRewards

For contactless I tend to use their online account, does the Oyster account let you do this? I think someone checks your request manually but it's normally approved the next day.

They do seem to be fairly reasonable, but it's not something that should be abused.

On contactless the system may even try and sort it automatically if you have a regular journey pattern. For example in a previous job my usual trip home was Bank - Crossharbour one time I forgot to touch out and the system auto corrected it.

paddington

I'd say you have a better chance of getting it fixed if you *don't* explain the stuff about having another ticket, and just say you don't understand what happened.

As SECR says, with contactless you can just write them a quick message. I did this when I thought I had touched out but it didn't register, and I had actually tailgated someone through the barriers, and the charge was corrected without any further response from TfL; also once I thought I had touched in since the barriers opened, and there was nobody else around, yet the touch was not recorded and TfL also fixed that promptly.

gray1404

Established Member
In the end I got to Kentish Town for 0010 so had enough time to go on LU to Victoria (changing at Euston) and picked up 0100 Brighton service from there - so no issues with incomplete journeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.