• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the auto PA System Voice ever change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
My least favourite:
"Passengers are reminded to always (sic) use the handrail and not to run on the stairs" I think it goes, or rather went, because the last few times I have used the stairs down to Glasgow Queen Street low level the incredibly irritating continuously looped announcement has been replaced by a loud hum and a few crackles.

Can't say I noticed droves of people running and falling on the stairs due to the lack of fatuous advice though.

While I do agree, the problem lies in when people put in claims as they were not warned there are any stairs and what to do. People are moronic sometimes. We need more Judge Judys' in this country!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PR1Berske

Established Member
To answer the OP

I know the woman you mean (the Wigan North Western, Manchester Pic woman)

Her tone is lovely, and all that, but if I hear the misuse of "...only" one more time..

"Calling at Euxton Balshaw Lane, Leyland, Preston, Kirkham and Wesham, Poulton-le-Fylde, Layton and Blackpool North.......ONLY"

There's no other stations to call at woman!

2Dogbox

I think the woman at Nottingham when announcing 'Lincoln Central' always sounds like she has a bad cold. The best one is the 'on the cheap' EMT automated ones at Sleaford, Newark Castle etc which are done on a 'text to speech' computer programme. All the annunciation is wrong ... Something like "the next train to arrive at platform 3 is the 1756 East Midlands Trains service to Don-CASTr, calling at METHrngm, Ruskingtn, Lincn, SAXalllbeee, Gainsbrolee Road, and Don-CASTr."

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think the woman at Nottingham when announcing 'Lincoln Central' always sounds like she has a bad cold. The best one is the 'on the cheap' EMT automated ones at Sleaford, Newark Castle etc which are done on a 'text to speech' computer programme. All the annunciation is wrong ... Something like "the next train to arrive at platform 3 is the 1756 East Midlands Trains service to Don-CASTr, calling at METHrngm, Ruskingtn, Lincn, SAXalllbeee, Gainsbrolee Road, and Don-CASTr."

I was very disappointed when they installed the Nottingham woman (Anne) at Lincoln, but as it appears to be set at such a low volume it's often drowned out when the station is busy or a train is idling. Her pronunciation of some stations is funny though - Brrrrrrighton being a notable example, she sounds very dismissive of the place :lol:

The 'text to speech' system could be worse, I think the one Northern use at some stations sounds a lot weirder.

ess

there's an announcement at kings cross "due to the inclement weather, please take care..." and the exact same announcement in the same tone at man picc except rather than saying 'inclement' it says 'wet'!

Philip

On Moderation
The Class 185 announcer is quite good, although the original recordings were better. She used to just announce the destination and the next stop, rather than run through the list of stops after every station.

There also used to be a separate announcer who did the safety info - she had quite a deep Yorkshire accent but I've not heard her on the trains for years.

WestCoast

Established Member
To answer the OP

I know the woman you mean (the Wigan North Western, Manchester Pic woman)

Her tone is lovely, and all that, but if I hear the misuse of "...only" one more time..

"Calling at Euxton Balshaw Lane, Leyland, Preston, Kirkham and Wesham, Poulton-le-Fylde, Layton and Blackpool North.......ONLY"

There's no other stations to call at woman!

The system which says the strange "only" is heard exclusively at about half a dozen Virgin stations north of Crewe plus Blackpool North. I've no idea why these stations have this unique voice. The Manchester Picc announcer is Anne and is heard across the country..

Last edited:

PR1Berske

Established Member
Ah, I am getting confused, forgive me. The "...Only Woman" if I can call her that is the focus of my main gripe.

Anne does have a tendency to warn people about the inclement weather at a time when the sun is shining, though ;)

WestCoast

Established Member
The worst by far in my opinion is the system used at some TPE stations like Warrington Central. The clips are really badly put together and so it sounds like a robot...

fgwrich

Established Member
The worst by far in my opinion is the system used at some TPE stations like Warrington Central. The clips are really badly put together and so it sounds like a robot...

Sounds abit like Annie & Roger over on First Great Western then!

I can't say I’m that impressed with Annie & Roger over on FGW - I much preferred the former Wessex Trains 'Ruth' and Phil & Celia where they at least could announce the station names correctly - How many takes are they now on with Lostwithiel?...As I’ve heard Lostivel, Lastwithel and now it's on Lostwetheil or something similar! :roll: Over this end we now seem to have Platform ONE for the XX:XX First Great Western service to Reading. Calling at Bramley Hampshire, mOretimer, Reading west and Reading. (Note these are not how they’re actually being displayed, but how they seem to announce it!)

As for the handrail announcements - there’s one on a sensor operated loop at Plymouth advising people to use the handrails - so i tried... can’t go upstairs very easily using the handrails though! :lol:

Anyway, here’s an example of Annoying Annie & Roger on FGW - It's Soooooo Slow at some stations!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bmTv-vLBA

PR1Berske

Established Member
Aaah yes, I recognise that first female voice very well from the North West! She seems a bit slower on that video, though.

All Line Rover

Established Member
there's an announcement at kings cross "due to the inclement weather, please take care..." and the exact same announcement in the same tone at man picc except rather than saying 'inclement' it says 'wet'!

Posh Southerners, you see. :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The rural ATW announcements also sound like a robot.

Let's not forgot those ATW request stops, either! Along the lines of: "Welcome aboard this Arriva Trains Wales service to... Shrewsbury. We will be calling at... Stockport, Wilmslow, Crewe, Nantwich, Whitchurch, Wem and... Shrewsbury, Wrenbury, Prees, Yorton... are request stops. Passengers wishing to alight at these stations should inform the guard so that he can arrange for the train to stop to allow you to alight." And then the constant security announcements after EVERY station. :roll: Drives you nuts!

Harlesden

fgwrich complains of "slow" announcements but there are still some passengers who don't get them and ask the person next to them what was said because it was "too fast". I have been asked more than once "what did she say?" when the announcement was totally clear to me. Safety announcements are so irritating but essential to the "total idiot" element who will do something that most of us would never think of doing, and then when injured will try to sue claiming they were "never told" not to do it.

emoaconr

I have grown quite fond of ole' Ruth in the Wales & Borders region... and her Welsh-speaking counterpart, who I have no name for.

I know Ruth is terrible at attempting some Welsh placenames, but at least she sounds like a normal person (albeit not Welsh) rather than Celia, who sounds as if she has three plums in her mouth.

The Welsh language announcement system is far more complex than the English langauge one due to Welsh mutations, syntax order and numbering patterns and the system seems to work quite effectively. The grammatical structure is so vastly different to English and its quite a credit to Wales & Borders and Arriva for developing the system.

For example:
"Y trên nesaf i gyrraedd a phlatfform chwech fydd y gwasanaeth xx.xx Trenau Arriva Cymru i Benarth, yn galw yn Grangetown, Dingle Road a Phenarth".
(The next train to arriva at Platform six will be the xx.xx Arriva Trains Wales service to Penarth, calling at Grangetown, Dingle Road and Penarth)

Here we can see two mutated forms of "Penarth", firstly a soft mutation P>B and secondly an aspirate, P>Ph. The system seems to include all mutated forms of each station.

Last edited:

Established Member

Ah yes, I know the one. Ulverston uses that voice, and literally the only words I could understand were "Manchester Piccadilly".

londonmidland

Established Member
What the hell is the point of this announcement; "Security personnel tour this station 24 hours a day"? It's recently been added at East Midands Trains stations, well at least at Leicester anyway...

gottago

I think Leeds deserves a shout out for it's appalling homemade announcements that they've needlessly been playing for years, including such classics as:

"Would passengers please be aware that train doors may close up to a minute (long pause) before departure when a train is ready to leave."

"Pickpockets are known to operate on this station. Please do not give money or tickets to anyone begging. Network Rail supports (good? group? what does she say here?!) charities who carry clear station identification."

There are several other equally exciting announcements that I can sadly repeat almost precisely. The worst is definitely the one that warns to take care "due to today's wet weather" even when it is gloriously dry.

And there's really nothing meaningful about a prerecorded apology.

Established Member
That dull-sounding woman at Liverpool Street who announces about Route Improvement Work, and now says pointlessly "Welcome to London Liverpool Street, host city of the 2012 Olympic Games." That's all very well but it's irrelevant if I want to know what platform my train is going from.

londonmidland

Established Member
I think Leeds deserves a shout out for it's appalling homemade announcements that they've needlessly been playing for years, including such classics as:

"Would passengers please be aware that train doors may close up to a minute (long pause) before departure when a train is ready to leave."

"Pickpockets are known to operate on this station. Please do not give money or tickets to anyone begging. Network Rail supports (good? group? what does she say here?!) charities who carry clear station identification."

There are several other equally exciting announcements that I can sadly repeat almost precisely. The worst is definitely the one that warns to take care "due to today's wet weather" even when it is gloriously dry.

And there's really nothing meaningful about a prerecorded apology.

I've got some recording from Leeds if you want to listen to them :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyJ_B1Yf_Gw&nomobile=1

PR1Berske

Established Member
What the hell is the point of this announcement; "Security personnel tour this station 24 hours a day"? It's recently been added at East Midands Trains stations, well at least at Leicester anyway...

That's yonder Manchester Picadilly woman. Gets on my wick when I've missed the vomit rockets after nights out and need to hang around the platforms till morning :oops::oops:

GNER 91128

I quite like it that Peterborough still has the SB making the announcements, I'm hoping that doesn't change when the refurb is finished.

CC 72100

Established Member
Sounds abit like Annie & Roger over on First Great Western then!

I can't say I’m that impressed with Annie & Roger over on FGW - I much preferred the former Wessex Trains 'Ruth' and Phil & Celia where they at least could announce the station names correctly - How many takes are they now on with Lostwithiel?...As I’ve heard Lostivel, Lastwithel and now it's on Lostwetheil or something similar! :roll: Over this end we now seem to have Platform ONE for the XX:XX First Great Western service to Reading. Calling at Bramley Hampshire, mOretimer, Reading west and Reading. (Note these are not how they’re actually being displayed, but how they seem to announce it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bmTv-vLBA

Nor me. I noticed that they appeared at Tiverton Parkway a couple of months back and was not impressed. They sound very disjointed indeed. Sometimes they don't seem to say the TOC, just "the 13:18 service to Cardiff Central". Also taken over from Ruth at Glocuester. I liked Ruth!

As long as this duo don't take over from Phil Sayer and his Celia then it's not too bad, as I believe Phil's announcements are the best.

louis97

Established Member
For example:
"Y trên nesaf i gyrraedd a phlatfform chwech fydd y gwasanaeth xx.xx Trenau Arriva Cymru i Benarth, yn galw yn Grangetown, Dingle Road a Phenarth".
(The next train to arriva at Platform six will be the xx.xx Arriva Trains Wales service to Penarth, calling at Grangetown, Dingle Road and Penarth)

Here we can see two mutated forms of "Penarth", firstly a soft mutation P>B and secondly an aspirate, P>Ph. The system seems to include all mutated forms of each station.

Welsh announcements also say the time differently to the standard english announcement aswell, Glyne (as we believe he is called) says time like "12 o' clock", "25 minutes past 11" and "15 minutes to 5" - He does not use 24 hour clock.

As long as this duo don't take over from Phil Sayer and his Celia.

They already have at most FGW stations - Exeters new system will be arriving very soon!

CC 72100

Established Member
They already have at most FGW stations - Exeters new system will be arriving very soon!

Noooo! Don't say that! We like Phil, at least he's clear and natural, unlike this robotic pair! :(

2Dogbox

I was very disappointed when they installed the Nottingham woman (Anne) at Lincoln, but as it appears to be set at such a low volume it's often drowned out when the station is busy or a train is idling. Her pronunciation of some stations is funny though - Brrrrrrighton being a notable example, she sounds very dismissive of the place :lol:

The 'text to speech' system could be worse, I think the one Northern use at some stations sounds a lot weirder.

Yes she is very quiet at Lincoln. The noise of a passing freight drowns her out completely. I always enjoy it when she looses it and starts waffling on about 'long and short stay parking' being available. The settings allow it to say all sorts of stuff. On approach of a dogbox into platform 3 it once said "this train is formed of 9 coaches, a restaurant car and buffet is available on this train" I think someone had pressed the wrong button.

LE Greys

Established Member
The thing that winds me up is the fact that "This is an important announcement..." is always something relatively pointless, while the really important announcements - where or when your train will be, gets no such treatment.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The current one (Claire Goose/ <snip>

Oh that's her name. There's a lecturer at Aberdeen who could almost be her sister, yet I couldn't remember her name.

Status
Not open for further replies.