• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the auto PA System Voice ever change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Mr Sayer is not at BRI.

I could swear I heard Phil at BRI tonight doing the announcement for the 23:06 departure to Exeter...

I've grown to like Roger (if not the pauses between most words), but the new lady still grates on me.

On a rather ominous related note, I saw a few guys with hi-viz doing work on the old PA screens/speakers at BRI tonight, was it the beginning of the end for the old system there perhaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
On a rather ominous related note, I saw a few guys with hi-viz doing work on the old PA screens/speakers at BRI tonight, was it the beginning of the end for the old system there perhaps?

Correct! New PA speakers have already been installed at BRI last time I went (months or so ago).

Ivo - do you know how Bath Spa's new system is progressing?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Sounds abit like Annie & Roger over on First Great Western then!

I can't say I’m that impressed with Annie & Roger over on FGW - I much preferred the former Wessex Trains 'Ruth' and Phil & Celia where they at least could announce the station names correctly - How many takes are they now on with Lostwithiel?...As I’ve heard Lostivel, Lastwithel and now it's on Lostwetheil or something similar! :roll: Over this end we now seem to have Platform ONE for the XX:XX First Great Western service to Reading. Calling at Bramley Hampshire, mOretimer, Reading west and Reading. (Note these are not how they’re actually being displayed, but how they seem to announce it!)

As for the handrail announcements - there’s one on a sensor operated loop at Plymouth advising people to use the handrails - so i tried... can’t go upstairs very easily using the handrails though! :lol:

Anyway, here’s an example of Annoying Annie & Roger on FGW - It's Soooooo Slow at some stations!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bmTv-vLBA

is there anyone, I wonder, who would try to argue that that is an improvement over having a Human? So what is the point of it? Surely the cost of installing all this Automation must surely mean that the difference in cost over having a Person on the end of the microphone must be negligible. It's exactly the same as Automated ticket machines and ticket barriers; maybe they think that Automation makes them look more up to date and technological or something.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think Leeds deserves a shout out for it's appalling homemade announcements that they've needlessly been playing for years, including such classics as:

"Pickpockets are known to operate on this station. Please do not give money or tickets to anyone begging. .

That's no way to describe Transpennine Express ...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That dull-sounding woman at Liverpool Street who announces about Route Improvement Work, and now says pointlessly "Welcome to London Liverpool Street, host city of the 2012 Olympic Games." That's all very well but it's irrelevant if I want to know what platform my train is going from.

That's another thing that always amuses me. "Due to Improvements, services will be disrupted and your journey may take longer, etc..." :lol:

Eeveevolve

What about Leeds where they have kludged in 'Liverpool South parkway' into the TPE service? That always amuses me. The added voice sounds like a disinterested cleaner on 40 a day...

AndyLandy

Established Member
I'd rather have Phil than the current announcements at Crewe. I find it so hard to make out what that chap is saying.

"Burble, burble, burble, platform alteration, burble something-or-other, London Euston"

Wait, what? Is that my train? I have no idea!

Bridge189

I prefer manual announcements; it adds a human touch to the railways and often the announcers have local accents or say them in a funny way (eg. ryhming). I hate the female voice they use at Leeds, if announcements have to be automated then I think Phil Sayer is the best.

I don't believe intercity TOCs like auto PA voices either as trains such as the 222s/voyager, Pendolino and MK4s have an auto PA system installed but it's not policy to use them I believe. Customer focus and professionalism reasons I'm told.

Eagle

Established Member
I don't believe intercity TOCs like auto PA voices either as trains such as the 222s/voyager, Pendolino and MK4s have an auto PA system installed but it's not policy to use them I believe. Customer focus and professionalism reasons I'm told.

I have heard the auto-PA used on a Voyager only once, when the guard was otherwise occupied (either deep in conversation with a passenger or fulfilling an urgent bodily function). The Pendo one I've heard quite a bit, although most of the times I have it seems to be used in addition to manual announcements.

WL113

The worst one has to be Birmingham New Street. When its not announcing a train the PA just plays constantly repeated messages about cases and bags not being left, no smoking etc, it is a constant noise!

tsr

Established Member
The worst one has to be Birmingham New Street. When its not announcing a train the PA just plays constantly repeated messages about cases and bags not being left, no smoking etc, it is a constant noise!

King's Cross can be bad for that, and also the small station of Wanborough, for some strange reason not yet known to man.

Bridge189

I have heard the auto-PA used on a Voyager only once, when the guard was otherwise occupied (either deep in conversation with a passenger or fulfilling an urgent bodily function). The Pendo one I've heard quite a bit, although most of the times I have it seems to be used in addition to manual announcements.

Have not heard the voyagers but I have heard the MK4s and it was just a blunt "the train guard will now be passing through the train please have your tickets ready for inspection" or similar when leaving KX after the main crew announcements and it was the same voice that does the bleep, bleep " attention train crew" when the toilet alarms are pressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.