Will the Blackpool South line be electrified?

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by cool2005, 12 Nov 2017.

1. Altfish

Altfish Member

I would have though that this line is well down the list of those requiring electrification.

2. randyrippley

randyrippley Member

Lets hope the remedial work gives the enhanced clearances for electrification..."just in case....one day"
    I bet it doesn't though

3. 47802

47802 Established Member

I don't think I particularly advocated that but pointed out it would be better if the current line ran closer to the original Central Station and that the closure of Central seemed to be more at the behest of the Council rather than BR, but of course it was different times then with a Railway on the decline, maybe that could be something to consider in the future as an alternative to a Tramlink.

4. Elecman

Elecman Established Member

:lol: :lol:

5. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

I never knew that there were once direct trains and now direct trams from Birmingham to Altrincham and Bury.

When did these ran, and when did the Midland Metro been extended that far north?

6. PR1Berske

PR1Berske Established Member

That line is brilliant :lol::E

7. Cliveblackpool

Cliveblackpool Member

Living near Blackpool South, that would not be good for business, or visitors, especially to Pleasure Beach. The promenade tramway is not good in Winter, rammed in peak season, and slow! All South line needs is a passing loop, an extra train to Manchester? Far cheaper than closing part of it, and converting part to a tramway.

8. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    From what I hear of the current admission charges to Blackpool Pleasure Beach that are advertised, the company running that should be asked to contribute some finance towards any upgrading/enlargement of the railway station facilities there.

9. scrapy

scrapy Member

In think the Pleasure Beach literally turned their backs on the station when they closed the entrances round that side of the park meaning a long trek all the way round to get to the entrance. The pleasure beach station is now almost as far walking from the main entrance as South station anyway so I can't see funding forthcoming.

10. 47802

47802 Established Member

Wont it make more sense to go to North and then hop on a Tram to Pleasure Beach when the link is completed

11. Lytham Local

Lytham Local Member

There was a FoI request put in on August https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/south_fylde_railway_line which asked some of the questions and points being raised in this post.

The reply from DFT https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/426203/response/1037892/attach/html/3/attachment.pdf.html would have been at home during PMQ.

"Looking ahead, you might be interested to know that Lancashire County Council has
    identified the Blackpool South line as a key weakness in the Fylde Coast public transport
    network. The Council secured funding to investigate the best way of enhancing the role of
    the South Fylde Line in providing a southern gateway to Blackpool and to establish what
    the most viable and cost-effective way of linking the South Fylde Line and the Blackpool
    Tramway might be. They also looked what benefits such a link might deliver."

We've heard that one for years.

"In regard to your point on a passing loop, Network Rail explored a number of options for
    maintaining rail access to Blackpool during the closure, which included a passing loop as
    you have suggested. Unfortunately, due to the time required to undertake the design and
    delivery of the passing loop, this option could not be completed ahead of the November
    closure. However, Blackpool South will be open during 8 weeks of the closure to help to
    minimise disruption to passengers travelling to Blackpool."

Meh! I think that is utter tripe. Doing a project like re-opening the Borders railway does take a great deal of planning, but to plan for a loop when at the same time planning as already been done to introduce signalling on the South Fylde line just seems to me like they are missing a bit of joined up writing. But then again, I'm not in the industry, so I don't know how they plan for such things.

Going back to the tram situation. Agree with the post above that replacing heavy rail with trams to either St Annes / Lytham would has too great an impact on people and businesses. According to the stats, more than 50% of the usage on the South Fylde line starts at BPS, BPB and SQU so there would be a great deal of outcry from the locals if they lost their direct service to Preston. I would imagine that the nimby's at Royal Lytham would object to electric masts going up next to their beloved golf course. Blackpool Transport and Stagecoach provide a decent bus service from Blackpool to Lytham so it asks the question of whether extending the tram to Lytham would be viable.

12. furnessvale

furnessvale Established Member

Given the attitude of the Pleasure Beach owners described in these pages, if I hop on a tram at North, I will be going in the opposite direction!

13. BelleIsle

BelleIsle Member

The bridges already completed on the South branch are all noticably steeper which I assume is due to them being higher. They also have high coping stones like what you see on an electrified line. They look wire ready to me. You certainly feel the difference on a push bike.

Skew Bridge (between Lytham and Ansdell) was a much bigger job than the others so I hope they took into account the raised track at this point meant to mitigate flooding issues.

A much bigger issue for me is why they decided to put the new S&T kit where the second track should be.

14. gg1

gg1 Member

Hasn't it been the case for a while that ALL new bridges, regardless of location, are built with sufficient clearance for OHLE?

15. Chester1

Chester1 Member

Cutting back to Lytham would allow a half hourly service without needing to upgrade what was left of the branch. Combined with reasonable connection times at Lytham this could be sold as an improvement. Redesigning Lytham with an island platform for same platform transfers between train and tram would also help. NR will sign over half of the branch if that is what the council wants because it loses money.

16. snowball

snowball Established Member

Yes but the bridges under discussion are not new, merely undergoing (apparently fairly heavy) maintenance.

17. Kettledrum

Kettledrum Member

surely this is about as likely as a new tunnel being built under central Blackpool to build a new line to link the Blackpool North and Blackpool South stations!

18. mwmbwls

mwmbwls Member

It would make the Colne-Blackpool-Ormskirk-Blackpool-Colne service concatenation more robust by reducing the overall proportion of single line working.. IIRC earlier studies about a loop on the line found that Ansdell would have been the best place but that the alignment had been compromised by post rationalisation development with Lytham as a second choice. Lytham had/has two facing platform faces so a cross platform tram/train interchange might have to include some extensive rebuilding and some clever design solution to enable either a ground level passenger crossing that did not cross the heavy rail track or a lift/bridge/staircase arrangement. Extending the trams north through the car park to the Tower would also be worth investigating especially after the North Station link opens. Through inter mode ticketing, TfL style would be essential.

19. Elecman

Elecman Established Member

If the tram was terminated a5 Ansdell you could still use the existing platform both sides with the tram stopping befor3 th3 disabled ramp and the train at th3 existin* platform face or just donan Ormskirk/ Kirby arrangements dividing the tracks at a suitable point alon* th3 0latform with stop blocks

20. GRALISTAIR

GRALISTAIR Established Member

In the Northern Sparks Final Report referenced and downloadable in the pinned electrification resources thread, it was listed as Tier 2 (not tier 3) with a weighted score of 45/100 - so I don't 100% agree with your assessment

21. Fleetwood Boy

Fleetwood Boy New Member

Beeching proposed retaining Central and closing North, with the line via Poulton continuing to Fleetwood which in many ways would have been better than what actually happened. Only Layton would have lost out.

As others have said the appeal of selling the Central site overcame common sense unfortunately. Ironically I seem to remember that in the end the site lay vacant for years until the Hounds Hill Centre was eventually built.

22. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    Have you ever travelled on the Manchester Metrolink on the section of the line from Derker to Rochdale? Plenty of countryside to view en route.

23. jonesy3001

jonesy3001 Established Member

Blackpool central is where coral island is now, you can actually see where the tracks have been filled in across the road in the car park

https://www.google.com.mt/maps/plac...c54b1b0463c0bcb!8m2!3d53.8141009!4d-3.0546712

24. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I've long considered the northern bit of the Oldham loop quite beautifully scenic, and the huge tram windows are excellent for viewing it, just like the Pacers before them.