• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the latest M5000 Metrolink trams be different to previous batches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozhua

Established Member
Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/manchester-metrolink-trafford-centre-extension.171586/

Looking at the article quoted in sprunt's post, 'first half of 2020', I'm wondering if they're waiting until they've taken delivery of some of the new batch of trams? I think the first is due in February?

Are there going to be any differences with the new M5000's, these ones are going to be a good few years newer?

Would've almost thought it was time for a newer model, say an M6000 ;)

Guess they'd need to be tested and training, etc if it was called a new model...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
Are there going to be any differences with the new M5000's, these ones are going to be a good few years newer?

Would've almost thought it was time for a newer model, say an M6000 ;)

Guess they'd need to be tested and training, etc if it was called a new model...

There will be some changes, but nothing major. Everything that is being changed is intended to be retrofitted to the existing M5000s.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There will be some changes, but nothing major. Everything that is being changed is intended to be retrofitted to the existing M5000s.

Hard to believe the oldest M5000s have notched up a decades's worth of service now....

507 001

Established Member
I don't know, in comparison to pacers and 150's or basically anything on the mainline they feel space age!

Well yes, but you can definitely tell when you’re driving the older ones.
They’re noticeably noisier, more rattly and some of them are battered outside. The cabs need a good going over too, threadbare seats etc. Nothing a decent refurb and repaint won’t sort mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.