• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the RDG extend Railcard Validity due to Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

35B

Established Member
Are we going to get extensions on passports, driving licences or any other time limited product? I simply don't see what the fuss is about. Why are people singling out the railway for needing to compensate them?

£30 is a reasonable sum of money for a lot of people but so be it. I've not spent any money on train travel in that time so in one sense I'm not out of pocket

Not sure I will be renewing my Network Railcard immediately when it expires on 23 July (as it will be some time before I next go on a train).
I've had an email today telling me that a time limited voucher for an attraction will be valid for next year if I can't use it this year; net result a happy patron who will spend money with them when I can visit, instead of a grump who will tell people how mean the attraction was and badmouth them.

A letter or email telling me (or, as important, my wife) that we've got an extension to the Family Railcard is likely to trigger the thought of a discretionary journey that we wouldn't otherwise have made. That's new marginal revenue rather than "lost" revenue due to the discount.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are we going to get extensions on passports, driving licences or any other time limited product? I simply don't see what the fuss is about. Why are people singling out the railway for needing to compensate them?
Well MOTs were extended if they expired during lockdown. Some insurance companies have refunded premiums reflecting the reduced risk of claims when very few people were driving. Passports and driving licences usually last for 10 years and were potentially still useful as ID, so not sure there's such a need to extend them.

Wuffle

We renewed our 2 together card this week, we did it with clubcard points - so £10 equivalent - saved that last October in one trip and I'm confident that we will use it again and save again

cool110

Well MOTs were extended if they expired during lockdown. Some insurance companies have refunded premiums reflecting the reduced risk of claims when very few people were driving. Passports and driving licences usually last for 10 years and were potentially still useful as ID, so not sure there's such a need to extend them.
EU regulations have extended driving licences by 7 months if they expire between February and August this year.

route101

Established Member
Im a mature student, looking to renew my railcard . Is it possible to show my student card to renew at station, i cant get the form signed as uni is closed. I emailed NR but no response.

Wuffle

Just out of interest are you using your railcard at the moment?
No we had a trip planned last April but BoJo and Ferguson ended that - It expired this month and by renewing we didn't have to update the photos. We had 2 holidays last year in August and October and took the opportunity to book first class tickets - an example - £40 from Edinburgh Waverley to Peterborough for 2 plus food and the onward 2nd class journey - first trip on an Azuma and a FLIRT
Hopefully some sanity will break out in the government and we can get something in August
As I say £10 clubcard points is good value

Established Member
This is the reply I got from my Twitter DM

Which I read as "We will probably do something, but no promises". I don't expect to hear anything until non-essential train journeys are permitted/encouraged.

Peter.
That response basically leaves extended validity or discount on a NEW railcard as the two options on the table that they MAY offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.