• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the RDG extend Railcard Validity due to Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal_gee_man

Simple really

Very few of us railcard holders will have been able to use our railcards during the last few months, will they think about extending validity in these unique times

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It has been discussed a few times. A discount on renewal is much more likely, and has been rumoured internally. They don't usually give things away for free.

Deutsche Bahn by contrast are offering travel vouchers to Bahncard holders. Exactly what's called for post-crisis, however many more months / years that takes.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
After Hatfield in 2000, when the network went in chaos, railcards were sold with 15 months validity. This lasted for a year so that everyone benefited. I can't remember if this was for renewals only or new purchases as well but I do think if the rail industry does something this is more likely than a price reduction.

Nothing will happen until leisure travel returns to normal.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
After Hatfield in 2000, when the network went in chaos, railcards were sold with 15 months validity. This lasted for a year so that everyone benefited.

As I've posted in similar threads, no they didn't. Regular YP/18-25 customers didn't, as they would still need to purchase the same number of Railcards to have one for the maximum period of time.

For that reason I feel a reduction in price would be fairer, I'd go with making them £20 for 12 months (with some sort of similar discount on the longer ones).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As I've posted in similar threads, no they didn't. Regular YP/18-25 customers didn't, as they would still need to purchase the same number of Railcards to have one for the maximum period of time.

For that reason I feel a reduction in price would be fairer, I'd go with making them £20 for 12 months (with some sort of similar discount on the longer ones).

But they still offered 16-25 Railcards at 15 months for the price of 12. Not everyone with a railcard has continuous validity. Most probably let it lapse at some point.

Any business will want to maximise their income so I believe they're more likely to offer extended validity than a price reduction, if they do anything at all!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But they still offered 16-25 Railcards at 15 months for the price of 12. Not everyone with a railcard has continuous validity.

No, but I found it very raw that the offer basically excluded anything for the most loyal customers. A price reduction but sticking with 12 months would have helped everyone.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
No, but I found it very raw that the offer basically excluded anything for the most loyal customers. A price reduction but sticking with 12 months would have helped everyone.

Loyal customers are likely to travel by train regardless.

The point of the offers is to entice (and entice back) new business to the railway.

I renewed my Railcard at the start of the year - like most others, I had no idea that within three months I was going to be largely unable to use my Railcard. In this case, I wouldn't mind an extension or discount on renewal. Otherwise I'm going to feel a bit bummed that I paid for something I couldn't use.

For heavier users of the Railcard, the industry would likely see more income through increased ticket sales as a result of Railcard holders feeling as though they're getting a "good deal" and getting their money's worth from it, versus trying to extract another £30 out of a now-disgruntled Railcard holder who may just become a "former" Railcard holder.

It just seems like the fairer thing to do at the end of the day. I also wonder if we'll see some kind of offering to healthcare workers in some fashion. Certain retailers offered discounts to NHS card holders long before COVID kicked-off. I think it would be quite nice to see some kind of NHS Railcard, similar to the HM Forces Railcard - but that might be a conversation for another topic!

David M

I think 15 months for the price of 12 is an acceptable compromise. It may be, though, that it will be a further 3 months or more before the railways are 'back to normal' in which case a revisit would be required.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
For heavier users of the Railcard, the industry would likely see more income through increased ticket sales as a result of Railcard holders feeling as though they're getting a "good deal" and getting their money's worth from it, versus trying to extract another £30 out of a now-disgruntled Railcard holder who may just become a "former" Railcard holder.
It's near certain they'd see increased sales if they issued £10 travel vouchers too, because you cannot go far for £10, and most people will feel compelled to use them, when the time is right.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
If something is done, I hope it isn't a renewal discount!
I'm going to be renewing my 26-30 railcard tomorrow for the last time, as regardless of the current situation, I am 30 later this week and so won't be able to get another years validity if I wait until after that! How much of the validity I'll actually be able to use, we shall see. I did consider not bothering renewing, but I am aware that as soon as I start to use trains again, I'll make back the cost via the savings pretty quickly.

Smidster

If something is done, I hope it isn't a renewal discount!
I'm going to be renewing my 26-30 railcard tomorrow for the last time, as regardless of the current situation, I am 30 later this week and so won't be able to get another years validity if I wait until after that! How much of the validity I'll actually be able to use, we shall see. I did consider not bothering renewing, but I am aware that as soon as I start to use trains again, I'll make back the cost via the savings pretty quickly.

Can offer you a bit of good news.

You can buy a 26-30 Railcard until the day before your 31st birthday so will cover you until you turn 32.

P Binnersley

This is the reply I got from my Twitter DM

"Hi Peter,

Railcards cannot be extended and are non-refundable. Often the cost of the Railcard can be saved back in as little as one journey. We, however recognise these are exceptional times and Coronavirus is changing how everyone lives, works and travels.

We are currently looking into multiple options to assist customers, who purchased their Railcard from railcard.co.uk before the advice against non-essential travel was issued, and have since been unable to use them. We will provide a further update to you and other customers via email and social media in due course.

Stay safe, XXXXXX."

Which I read as "We will probably do something, but no promises". I don't expect to hear anything until non-essential train journeys are permitted/encouraged.

Peter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Presumably, the length that these measures are kept in place (which we don't know yet) for will inform whatever they decide to do.

They are at least recognising that something is required.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Fundamentally that's just from a customer service agent and they are just parroting what they were told.

I would be surprised if nothing is done at all, but social distancing will have to be completely over before they can.

lightbulb

Apologies if this is off-topic!

My Disabled Persons Railcard expired last week, and I telephoned the Disabled Persons Railcard Office to renew today. I was advised that I could not currently renew over the phone as I usually do, and that I could renew up to six months after the expiry by filling in an application form obtainable at a station. If I don't renew within six months of expiry, it will be treated as a new application. I'm classed as being "medically vulnerable" so am not allowed out. Can anyone confirm that the information I have been given is correct?

1955LR

I have just recently purchased a Disabled Persons Railcard totally online , having scanned the required information and sent it with the application. but I know that may not be an option for some . There is a link on their Website

paul1609

Established Member
It has been discussed a few times. A discount on renewal is much more likely, and has been rumoured internally. They don't usually give things away for free.

Deutsche Bahn by contrast are offering travel vouchers to Bahncard holders. Exactly what's called for post-crisis, however many more months / years that takes.
National Express have extended all their coachcards by six months:
Coachcard sales suspended
We have temporarily taken our Coachcard products off sale due to the suspension of our services. More information

I already have a Coachcard but can't use it, will you extend it?
Yes, if your Coachcard was valid on 1 March 2020 we have added a 6 month extension to your expiry date. For example - if your Coachcard was due to expire on 1 November 2020 your new expiry date will be 1 May 2021. No further action is required, cards will not be reissued with revised dates, simply book and travel with your current card.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
National Express have extended all their coachcards by six months:
Coachcard sales suspended
We have temporarily taken our Coachcard products off sale due to the suspension of our services. More information

I already have a Coachcard but can't use it, will you extend it?
Yes, if your Coachcard was valid on 1 March 2020 we have added a 6 month extension to your expiry date. For example - if your Coachcard was due to expire on 1 November 2020 your new expiry date will be 1 May 2021. No further action is required, cards will not be reissued with revised dates, simply book and travel with your current card.
Excellent move. Very sensible amendment to policy.

Jim Jehosofat

I can't see the validity of railcards being extended full stop as the powers that be aren't even prepared t extend staff travel cards.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I can't see the validity of railcards being extended full stop as the powers that be aren't even prepared t extend staff travel cards.
I can’t see why staff travel cards that are automatically renewed would need to be extended.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
After Hatfield in 2000 all railcards purchased during a 12 month period had 15 months validity instead of 12. It would not surprise me if something similar happens again, but obviously not until travel returns to normal.

FenMan

Established Member
According to today's i, something may be happening ....

"Rail operators are looking at options for railcard holders who have been unable to use their passes during the lockdown which prevented non-essential travel, industry sources have told i. It comes as independent watchdog Transport Focus called for passengers to be offered extensions on their railcard expiry dates or discounts on future renewals."

JonathanH

Veteran Member
According to today's i, something may be happening ....

Are we going to get extensions on passports, driving licences or any other time limited product? I simply don't see what the fuss is about. Why are people singling out the railway for needing to compensate them?

£30 is a reasonable sum of money for a lot of people but so be it. I've not spent any money on train travel in that time so in one sense I'm not out of pocket

Not sure I will be renewing my Network Railcard immediately when it expires on 23 July (as it will be some time before I next go on a train).

Llandudno

Established Member
Are we going to get extensions on passports, driving licences or any other time limited product? I simply don't see what the fuss is about. Why are people singling out the railway for needing to compensate them?

£30 is a reasonable sum of money for a lot of people but so be it. I've not spent any money on train travel in that time so in one sense I'm not out of pocket

Not sure I will be renewing my Network Railcard immediately when it expires on 23 July (as it will be some time before I next go on a train).
Extension of Railcard validity may be seen as a marketing tool to encourage leisure travel back on the railways when lockdown has ended

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Extension of Railcard validity may be seen as a marketing tool to encourage leisure travel back on the railways when lockdown has ended

Railcards themselves are marketing tools. The TOCs can sell them at whatever price, validity and duration best brings marginal revenue in. Post-Covid, there'll be a truck load of marginal revenue to chase and business to win back.

Status
Not open for further replies.