• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the Supertram be Rebranded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent Dreamer

Stagecoach are obviously rebranding all their buses. However, are they going to be rebranding the super tram as that currently uses Stagecoach’s old colour scheme?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steddenm

The Stagecoach Supertram livery is bespoke to the trams and tram trains (albeit a version of it appeared on SWT and EMT units).

I imagine all that will change on them will be the Stagecoach beachball logo to the newer style one.

EDIT:

Just noticed that the new Stagecoach logo and beachball is now part of their revised colour logo:

New:

New Supertram Logo 200x75.jpg

Old:
supertram-logo.png

Last edited:

Kent Dreamer

The Stagecoach Supertram livery is bespoke to the trams and tram trains (albeit a version of it appeared on SWT and EMT units).
When stagecoach had the stripes livery, the trams also had the stripes livery and then when stagecoach changed the livery on the buses, the tram livery changed. So didn’t know if it would change again now that the branding has been updated again.

ALEMASTER

There was a plan on doing one tram in the new livery using vinyl but I'm guessing that has been cancelled due to the pandemic. Stagecoach only have a few years left of the operating concession so I don't think they are wanting to spend too much on the fleet beyond keeping the trams maintained, safe and operational.

TC60054

As has been mentioned above there's no plans. Stagecoach's time on the concession ends in March 2024, so I'd be amazed if they've decided it's worth the effort on designing a whole new livery to suit. The logo is all that's changing (and even then it hasn't done so on the trams themselves yet)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Regardless of who the operator is, the "Supertram" name doesn't quite have the caché that it arguably had in the early 1990s. It seems a bit more cringeworthy these days, and was almost repeated 30 miles to the north.

D365

Veteran Member
Regardless of who the operator is, the "Supertram" name doesn't quite have the caché that it arguably had in the early 1990s. It seems a bit more cringeworthy these days, and was almost repeated 30 miles to the north.
I had assumed that it was a means to differentiate from the trams of old.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I had assumed that it was a means to differentiate from the trams of old.
It was, but it was completely unnecessary. I'm not sure where any confusion would be caused if they'd just been called trams. After all, modern trains are much nicer to travel in than those that ran in the 1850s but we don't call them "supertrains".

Call a spade a spade. It isn't a "superspade" unless you throw it at someone!

py_megapixel

Established Member
*Mod Note* This post and replies have been moved from this thread

Does anyone know if the Supertram brand is planned to be refreshed to match the new Stagecoach branding?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Does anyone know if the Supertram brand is planned to be refreshed to match the new Stagecoach branding?
It already has:

cnjb8

Established Member
It already has:
Those trams are approaching thirty years old. Why are they repainting them? Same goes with all the Darts and Tridents as I’ve previously mentioned

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Those trams are approaching thirty years old. Why are they repainting them? Same goes with all the Darts and Tridents as I’ve previously mentioned
30 years old wouldn't be old for a tram - or have they got some new ones due?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
On a related note, the Sheffield Star has covered the planned changes to the Sheffield Station tram stop. Predictably with a misleading and clickbait-y headline talking about "ripping up tram tracks". :rolleyes:

For a front line service tram, I think that’s quite old
Maybe by UK standards where (Blackpool aside) the tram systems themselves are less than 40 years old. Less so in Central Europe where there are Tatra T3 trams (designed 1960) still giving good reliable service.

Mat17

I find the new Stagecoach bus liveries to be awful to be honest. They're so insipid, bland.

The old beach ball livery was smart and colourful. Even the old stripe livery was neat and tidy. The new livery just looks anemic.

TC60054

It already has:
This is not a brand refresh, simply just an advertising livery.
The only refresh that’s being done with the trams in the next two and a half years prior to the concession being re let is the use of the new Stagecoach logo as part of the Supertram logo, and even that might not actually make it onto the trams themselves short of this one example.

GoneSouth

It already has:
That’s horrible! The green is like something out of a 70s Soviet apartment block

_toommm_

Established Member
On a related note, the Sheffield Star has covered the planned changes to the Sheffield Station tram stop. Predictably with a misleading and clickbait-y headline talking about "ripping up tram tracks". :rolleyes:

Have you got a link to that article please?

It’s probably the most times a tram stop has been redone on the network - it was only changed ten-ish years ago when Sheffield Midland was done up.

_toommm_

Established Member

507 001

Established Member
The only refresh that’s being done with the trams in the next two and a half years prior to the concession being re let is the use of the new Stagecoach logo as part of the Supertram logo, and even that might not actually make it onto the trams themselves short of this one example.

This is the livery Stagecoach Manchester are using on their all electric busses. It appears to be their new ‘electric’ livery.

GoneSouth

This is the livery Stagecoach Manchester are using on their all electric busses. It appears to be their new ‘electric’ livery.
Oh dear, that’s not good. What a shame Stagecoach has reduced its brand to this tacky disaster

SteveyBee131

30 years old wouldn't be old for a tram - or have they got some new ones due?

For a front line service tram, I think that’s quite old

Not if you spend time in Germany, Switzerland, Poland, Portugal etc etc
Even on our shores on the Tyne and Wear Metro, trams were still being repainted and even refreshed/refurbished at over 30 years old! Trams tend to last a lot better than buses usually. Only now the T&W metrocars are over 40 are thoughts turned to their replacement!
I'm not blessed with any inside knowledge, but I would strongly agree that this looks like a vinyl advertising livery, merely promoting the tram's green credentials, and not a complete rebranding exercise. Look at the handrails by the cab doors, cab air-conditioning units, air intake grilles, mirror brackets etc... They're all in the "beach ball" livery colours, which wouldn't be the case otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.