• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will the Waterloo & City line ever reopen? (Update: now open!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Keeping the W&C line closed hardly encourages commuters to return to their desks in the City. I'm surprised the Government haven't required LUL to re-open it.

I'd doubt that the absence of an operational Drain is a major factor in people deciding to return to offices.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Indeed - I've been through Cannon Street in both rush hours recently and it's still quiet, and Southeastern commuters don't need to use the W&C.

Journeyman

Established Member
Yeah, the W&C exists for one very specific traffic flow, and right now that traffic flow almost entirely doesn't exist. I wonder if a peak hours only reopening might be the first step.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yeah, the W&C exists for one very specific traffic flow, and right now that traffic flow almost entirely doesn't exist. I wonder if a peak hours only reopening might be the first step.

Peak hours would be fine, if the Government want people to return to their offices then the transport system needs to be fully operational otherwise it's just another excuse to stay at home.

Wolfie

Established Member
Has something happened such that the thread has been reopened?

Ah, media reports of reopening in the next two months. Good.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I've heard there is going to be a peak hours service on the 17th may and then a peak hours service from the 21st June together with a heavily reduced off peak service. With no Saturday services for the foreseeable future

Dstock7080

Established Member
LU sending message to Staff this evening re-Waterloo & City Line:
the Waterloo & City line is set to be reintroduced in June.
This is in readiness for the Government’s step four out of lockdown.
The service will initially be reintroduced as a Monday-Friday peak only service, but we’ll monitor passenger demand and increase over time as necessary

People honestly talking about permanent closure and a filming location as if it's the Ongar central line branch.

davews

I used it quite a lot a couple of years on my London walks. It is a much needed link from Waterloo to Central and DLR lines which take longer by all other routes. Will be good to see it back.

greyman42

Established Member
I've heard there is going to be a peak hours service on the 17th may and then a peak hours service from the 21st June together with a heavily reduced off peak service. With no Saturday services for the foreseeable future
Are they expecting a pick up in demand on the 17th May?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last edited by a moderator:

londonteacher

It would be interesting to see the demand after it reopens. London is still very quiet compared to normal and a lot of people are not returning to offices or they are for a reduced number of days.

It could be that this remains peak only.

Dstock7080

Established Member
It would be interesting to see the demand after it reopens. London is still very quiet compared to normal and a lot of people are not returning to offices or they are for a reduced number of days.

It could be that this remains peak only.
my post #37 above give the LU postion

johncrossley

Established Member
It is reopening on 21 June, but peak times only.

Transport for London (TfL) has today (Saturday 15th May) announced that the Waterloo & City line will reopen on 21 June, ready to play a vital role in the capital’s recovery from coronavirus.

The line, which connects Waterloo and Bank stations, is an important commuter link and has been closed since March last year when those who were able to do so were told to work from home. From 21 June, people are expected to return to offices in greater numbers and TfL has been working closely with the City of London Corporation to ensure that the reopening of the Waterloo & City line aligns with Government guidance on returning to workplaces.

The Waterloo & City line will run every five minutes Monday to Friday from 06:00 to 10:00 in the morning and 15:30 to 19:00 in the afternoon. These hours will not only allow customers to spread their journeys to avoid busier times in the mornings and afternoons, but also add extra capacity during peak times for those commuters who cannot change their working hours. Customers are still encouraged to travel at quieter times where possible across the network and TfL will continue to monitor demand.

greyman42

Established Member
It is reopening on 21 June, but peak times only.

What happened to the 17 May re-opening?

Cdd89

Established Member
I’m surprised it saves that much to open only in the peaks (neither AM nor PM is a full staff shift?) - and how busy is Central London at 6 am? - but I suppose TfL know the numbers. Shame for me as my working patterns make me most likely to need the line in the middle of the day; I might just scrape some use from the 3:30 afternoon services.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Presumably the reopening date is dependent on the government's 'road map' going to plan, which is by no means certain at the moment.

Taunton

Established Member
I’m surprised it saves that much to open only in the peaks (neither AM nor PM is a full staff shift?) - and how busy is Central London at 6 am? - but I suppose TfL know the numbers.
Under normal circumstances - notably. It comes as a considerable surprise to those unfamiliar with it. When the 04.50 from Basingstoke was derailed at Wimbledon at 06.00 a few years ago, and it was stated over 300 passengers were on board, there was initial disbelief of the numbers, and it was thought this was the seating capacity of the train, until pointed out this was actually correct.

In normal times there's a considerable movement in of cleaners, coffee stall staff, etc, followed very quickly by the high-paid traders etc, a good proportion of whom like to be at their desks by 07.00. It's not a 9 to 5 operation at all. I remember one of the top directors getting arrested for some issue. The police came to his house as they normally do at 06.00 to catch him in, only to find he had already left for the office.

In the latest release of TfL's Open Data, the new W&C line timetable data was released.
In the off chance it is of interest to anyone, it's available to view HERE.

Dstock7080

Established Member
W&C trains start running empty with TTN139/21 on 14 June 2021, passenger services resume on 21 June

MP33

I wonder if the man who used to sit outside Cannon Street Station asking for money for a B and B will be back. The time he spent asking, only the Ritz or Savoy would do.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Has literally nothing run at all? Not even one empty train a day to keep the railhead polished?
Trains have run during the passenger closure, for staff competencies and equipment testing.
Also the trains have had a thorough exterior clean ready for the reopening.

Southernrover

Empty trains to “shakedown” the infrastructure and rolling stock start next Tuesday.
If all goes well and it is an “if” expect a peak hours only service to be introduced within days.

LU_timetabler

Yes, W&C re-opening has been brought forward. 3 trains peak-hours only service starts sometime this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.