• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will there be more East Midlands Trains calling at Luton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
I could also post electrification see, some cross London services. Maybe the thameslink Beckenham junction trains carrying on to corby providing two service to the city.But it would need to be a inter-regional specd unit.

Funniest. Y enough I saw something a while back saying corby/kettering and wellingborough platforms will be extended to 240m each.

Beckenham Junction TL service are withdrawn in December 2017 TT change IIRC.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
MrCub and Neil are right...
Sorry to harp on about it, but this seems to be (mostly) yet another London-centric discussion, when we really need to discuss the transport needs of the whole country. Please can we have some sort of a national connectivity objective (maybe even a Taktfahrplan - and an equivalent fares structure) to give all areas of the UK equal access to rail for quality travel and equity of charges?

Given the number of Scots recruited to staff the steel industry in Corby I would have thought that connections northwards might be one of the business drivers, especially as the demographics suggest that the grey pound could be exploited for leisure travel to visit family roots.

I doubt that even after spending much on publicity, there would be much of a flow keen to double back at Kettering. Probably far better to shoot down to London and get HS2 towards the north in a few years. That's why platforms are being prepared for 3x377/5s etc..

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Electric that soon? I thought the MML electrification was put on hold?

Corby wiring has generally been shown as a separate subject to the rest of the MML, with different dates. There was a Dec 2016 update to the scheme milestones and it has a "key output 1" of Corby wiring and various capacity improvements as deliverable in 2019, key output 2 is later and is the wiring work that appears to be 'on hold'.

See pages 35 to 40 of the CP5 milestones plan for detailed description:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-con...Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-September-2016.pdf

Envy123

North of Kettering is has, Bedford to Corby is still being done.

Corby wiring has generally been shown as a separate subject to the rest of the MML, with different dates. There was a Dec 2016 update to the scheme milestones and it has a "key output 1" of Corby wiring and various capacity improvements as deliverable in 2019, key output 2 is later and is the wiring work that appears to be 'on hold'.

See pages 35 to 40 of the CP5 milestones plan for detailed description:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-con...Enhancements-Delivery-Plan-September-2016.pdf

Thank you :)

Will there necessarily be a rolling stock update or is it still up in the air?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I think it's just that what's required / most useful is 110 or 125mph electric rolling stock capable of running in up to 240m length for peak services and with an interior standard suitable for journeys of over an hour and a half. It just so happens that the 379 meet all of these mostly and will be available in time. They are also very young so it won't be seen as too much of a downgrade.

Who knows what the DfT might say though and what might be bid...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Would that not be up to the bidders though or is the expectation DfT will specify 379s for it?

Can't see any reason to specify 379s. As far as I know rolling stock is only designated a franchise asset if it was bought for that particular franchise and needs to stay with the new franchisee for some reason.

I believe (probably from reading stuff on here) that the 379s have particularly high lease rentals so the owner would have to reduce these to have a chance of getting them back into use. Just about any 100mph EMU with a suitable interior, new or refurbished, would be a competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.