• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will 'they' pay for my taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscbrown

So a few weeks ago I started a new job out at Edinburgh Park. Having spend up to 1hr 20m on the bus there, I decided to try the train, from Waverly to Edinburgh Park.

I was meant to be traveling on the 16:18 train to Bathgate by First ScotRail but this was canceled and the next train calling at Edinburgh Park was at 16:37 arriving at 16:46 I wouldn't had enough time to make it to work for 5 PM sharp.

As a result, I had to take a taxi costing £14 to get me there in time.

Now, five minutes late to work you might think is insignificant. But as this was my third day on the job was was rather keen to make the right impression, more so as this is my first management position. Actually, it is my first job too, anyways.

Do you think ScotRail will pay for my taxi? Is it worth trying?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Nope - as you chose not to travel with them. If you had a ticket, then I don't know. You may if you sound arsy enough get Rail Travel vouchers off them!

rosscbrown

I think the very fact of buying a ticket is choosing to travel with them.

As is sitting on a train fully expecting it to pull away and take me to my destination in good time is too choosing to travel with them.

If being told to leave the train because it was canceled constitutes choosing not to travel with FSR then the railways are very much broken!

Tom B

Established Member
To the original post - I presume the 1hr 20min bus ride is the 24, which takes the scenic route to say the least. You could try the 22 then a short walk, which would land you in Edinburgh Park.

glynn80

Established Member
So a few weeks ago I started a new job out at Edinburgh Park. Having spend up to 1hr 20m on the bus there, I decided to try the train, from Waverly to Edinburgh Park.

I was meant to be traveling on the 16:18 train to Bathgate by First ScotRail but this was canceled and the next train calling at Edinburgh Park was at 16:37 arriving at 16:46 I wouldn't had enough time to make it to work for 5 PM sharp.

As a result, I had to take a taxi costing £14 to get me there in time.

Now, five minutes late to work you might think is insignificant. But as this was my third day on the job was was rather keen to make the right impression, more so as this is my first management position. Actually, it is my first job too, anyways.

Do you think ScotRail will pay for my taxi? Is it worth trying?

I can pretty much guarantee that Scotrail will not pay for your taxi, you had a train 19 minutes behind which would have got you to your destination.

If you want a taxi from the TOCs you either have to have missed the last train or the subsequent departure after your original departure is more than 2 hours later. You took it on your own back to take a taxi and unfortunately they aren't liable for that.

TOCs cannot be responsible for onward connections and are only liable once you are delayed more than 30 minutes (based on Scotrail's passenger charter), if this does occur you are entitled to 25% compensation of the of a return ticket or 50% of a single ticket.

I think the very fact of buying a ticket is choosing to travel with them.

As is sitting on a train fully expecting it to pull away and take me to my destination in good time is too choosing to travel with them.

If being told to leave the train because it was canceled constitutes choosing not to travel with FSR then the railways are very much broken!

I realise you are angry about the situation but really on the scale of things 20 minutes delay is very minor on the scale. I have heard of many worse horror stories. I would suggest catching the 1604 in future then if that is delayed you have the 1618 to fall back onto

rosscbrown

To the original post - I presume the 1hr 20min bus ride is the 24, which takes the scenic route to say the least. You could try the 22 then a short walk, which would land you in Edinburgh Park.

Anything from Meadowbank/London Rd (usually 26 or 5) , then 35 from Easter Road/Abbeyhill. Takes me to Sighthill Industrial Estate, right outside the offices for the good old HMRC!

Returning via 25 to Asda (the one across from Slateford station), shop at Asda, and then a 4/44/45 (whatever runs at that kind of time, 4 I think) to Meadowbank.

Waverley to E'Park works out quite well as I can mess about in the City if I have things to take care of before work etc.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn't expect it - as your delay is minimal. Many TOCs have their own internal policies as to when control will authorise a taxi. I know London Midland's is 90 minutes, and FGW depend on the route and who's travelling.

I used to travel daily from High Wycombe to Aylesbury (changing at Princes Risborough for the Princes Risborough-Aylesbury shuttle). In the timetable it said that trains will normally wait for a few minutes if the Main line service is late and if it doesn't/can't then replacement transport will be arranged. My train just in time to see the Aylesbury train pulling off from the other platform and so I got a taxi!

rosscbrown

I can pretty much guarantee that Scotrail will not pay for your taxi, you had a train 19 minutes behind which would have got you to your destination.

I understand that this is just a minor inconvenience and I've been delayed far longer else where, being stranded in London overnight comes to mind.

The point is, my journey was from my house to my office. Of the options of getting there I have, I went for FSR. As a result, I'm now £12 out of pocket because of their service not running!

This is the problem with the railways - if I'm going 5 hours to London, a 30 minute delay doesn't usually cause problems and in all honestly a 1 hour delay is not too much of a problem.

But on a 7 or 9 minute journey, a 20 min delay is catastrophic. If they trains can't be reliable, how can I trust them to get me to work on time? I've worked hard to make sure I'm at the station on time for the train, and to ensure there is enough time to get to my final destination. All I ask is for FSR to do the same!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All I can say is it's a good job you were waiting for a train. The days before I started driving I often waited at a bus stop for 50 minutes with no indication on when my bus would show up and not even an apology!

glynn80

Established Member
I understand that this is just a minor inconvenience and I've been delayed far longer else where, being stranded in London overnight comes to mind.

The point is, my journey was from my house to my office. Of the options of getting there I have, I went for FSR. As a result, I'm now £12 out of pocket because of their service not running!

This is the problem with the railways - if I'm going 5 hours to London, a 30 minute delay doesn't usually cause problems and in all honestly a 1 hour delay is not too much of a problem.

But on a 7 or 9 minute journey, a 20 min delay is catastrophic. If they trains can't be reliable, how can I trust them to get me to work on time? I've worked hard to make sure I'm at the station on time for the train, and to ensure there is enough time to get to my final destination. All I ask is for FSR to do the same!

Everyone is in the same boat, we are entrusting someone else to get us to work on time, if you feel you can't trust FSR then the option is there to catch the train 12 minutes earlier.

I agree that in proportion a 20 minutes delay to a 20 minute journey is a lot worst than a 20 minute delay to a 5 hour journey, thats why in general (not always though) suburban TOCs have lower thresholds for compensation.

In any walk of life nothing is ever going to be perfect. The bus could get stuck in traffic etc. If it is imperative you are there on time I would suggest leaving for the 1604, if that isn't running smoothly you can go outside to Princes Street and catch the 1611 X25 to Sighthill, Calder Road and that'll get you there for 1632. You then leave all your options open.

Tom B

Established Member
Anything from Meadowbank/London Rd (usually 26 or 5) , then 35 from Easter Road/Abbeyhill. Takes me to Sighthill Industrial Estate, right outside the offices for the good old HMRC!

Might it be quicker to catch something going up Calder Road then change to the 35 at Longstone?

Alternatively, the X26 which runs in peak hours serves Edinburgh Park directly from Abbeyhill.

Waverley to E'Park works out quite well as I can mess about in the City if I have things to take care of before work etc.

True, good point.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, as there was an alternative service and you chose not to take it. If there was no service available they would have put on a taxi or bus for you and other passengers and paid for it.

I once had to wait ages for a taxi because they forgot about our booking so they aren't perfect either.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Do you think ScotRail will pay for my taxi? Is it worth trying?

No, the only time a TOC will pay for your taxi is if they are legally obliged to provide one (see the TOC's Passenger Charter), and even then you will never have to dig into your wallet because it will be 'on account'.

AlexS

Established Member
You'll find you won't get any joy out of them.

Cumulative delays do count however - if for example XC delay you by 50 minutes, and as a result you miss another train on top of the one you planned to catch (and they were valid connections) and you eventually arrive at your destination 1 hour 10 minutes late (for example), then Cross Country are liable for the total delay to your journey, which would take you into the highest compensation threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.