• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will you be eating out to help out?

Will you be eating out to help out?

• YES - I will be eating out more often due to the scheme

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • YES - I will be eating out as much as usual, but taking advantage of the scheme

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • NO - I think it's too dangerous to eat out at the moment

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • NO - I do not normally eat out and this scheme won't encourage me

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I will be eating out but avoiding the scheme as it will make places too busy

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Don't know / undecided

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • NO - I'd like to eat out, but won't while the Covid Secure measures are in place

Votes: 19 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Local Embers Inn mega busy tonight compared to normal which resulted in a 75m wait for food so they made extra money on more drinks. Anyhow jovial atmosphere and staff couldn't be more apologetic for delay and actually quite nice to not have a rushed evening

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
The law expressly forbids that as well.
Update - the Statutory Instrument 828, 2020, which deals with the latest restrictions in Greater Manchester etc., does not mention pubs or restaurants at all. So, despite being told we couldn't meet others indoors, that's only advisory and not illegal. However meeting someone in their garden IS illegal!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Have already done so once at a local pub. They kept some tables out of use, had us sanitise our hands on entry and leave through a different door to the entrance, and waiters (who were wearing clear plastic visors) brought us cutlery, napkins and condiments rather than leaving them on the table. Other than the fact that our reservation information was retained for Test and Trace, that was all. Hardly difficult to get used to.

If all local establishments are displaying this level of professionalism then my family will certainly be taking advantage of the scheme.

Furthermore, I'd urge anyone who enjoys eating out, feels safe doing so, and of course has the money available at this time, to give it a go!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
We've just got back in after a night out with our Classic Car Club for the first time since the C19 lockdown.

The pub/restaurant felt little different to normal with just a few tables missing and no queuing at the bar, plus some extra tables added outside. Yes we were asked to hand sanitise before we went in and to complete a register, but I see no harm in either. None of the staff were were masks or shields. Food was as excellent as ever and it was nice to see the bill including drinks go down from £31 to £16. And there was NO pressure to leave after the meal was eaten, as some here seem to be implying.

Talking to the owner after the meal he said that overall business is up, and not just on the Monday to Wednesday but the rest of the week as well. He had asked all his staff what they wanted to do about wearing "protection" and all of them declined. However he did admit that he had had to take on extra waitresses to cope with the new regime.

The one thing I did find, and found most enjoyable, was the way that it almost felt "foreign", in that everything was table service and there was no money changing hands until the end of the evening. Much more enjoyable!

And this weekend we are away in the caravan at a rally another Club is running for the first time since lockdown so shall probably be going out for atleast one more meal. It will be interesting to see whether there is a difference in the way things are done since we are going to a different country and you English seem to have different rules to us...............now where's my mask?? :D :lol:

BJames

Established Member
I have been out twice already. Intend to go out twice next week and probably the following week too.

As an aside, I'm personally not convinced that this scheme should be used by places like McDonalds and Wetherspoons who already have enough custom and are busy enough... surely it should be used to support the independent places? Don't get me wrong, I went to McDonalds but I would've stopped in anyway, it was just a nice bonus to get the food for half price. It was packed inside (of course the drive thru was empty). Is this taking custom from independents who need it?

I will be going to independent restaurants next week that I haven't tried before or haven't been to in a while - I notice a lot of conflicting opinions on here, I personally can't wait to get back to normal of course and am fed up with the restrictions but I'm finding eating out in MOST places to be quite reasonable and normal and many places the staff aren't wearing masks and there's no tape really as it's all table service. It's actually more convenient than usual. Definitely give a few places a go. A great chance to try places you may not usually have the time to get to, or don't want to spend lots of money in.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
We had a pre-booked slot for 1945 at Pizza Express , - and were finally seated at 2010. I reiterate this was not in Woking.

There were long queues at other venues in the city. The hard worked staff were flat out , and they had been very busy all day. An excellent experience in all respects.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I have been out twice already. Intend to go out twice next week and probably the following week too.

As an aside, I'm personally not convinced that this scheme should be used by places like McDonalds and Wetherspoons who already have enough custom and are busy enough... surely it should be used to support the independent places? Don't get me wrong, I went to McDonalds but I would've stopped in anyway, it was just a nice bonus to get the food for half price. It was packed inside (of course the drive thru was empty). Is this taking custom from independents who need it?

I will be going to independent restaurants next week that I haven't tried before or haven't been to in a while - I notice a lot of conflicting opinions on here, I personally can't wait to get back to normal of course and am fed up with the restrictions but I'm finding eating out in MOST places to be quite reasonable and normal and many places the staff aren't wearing masks and there's no tape really as it's all table service. It's actually more convenient than usual. Definitely give a few places a go. A great chance to try places you may not usually have the time to get to, or don't want to spend lots of money in.
I agree with you about McDonald's particularly. They seem to have a big enough customer base to gridlock the first place they reopened in (Peterborough) so I doubt they are too stripped for cash.

Honestly the government basically handing money to billion-dollar American corporations defeats the purpose of the scheme in my opinion.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree with you about McDonald's particularly. They seem to have a big enough customer base to gridlock the first place they reopened in (Peterborough) so I doubt they are too stripped for cash.

Honestly the government basically handing money to billion-dollar American corporations defeats the purpose of the scheme in my opinion.

A reasonable number of them are franchises, so are actually small businesses under the common brand. All Subways are franchised, as another example.

birchesgreen

Established Member
And it is British people who are working in your local branch flipping the burgers and wot not, not rich Yanks :)

Smidster

I'm sure you're both right but at the moment I struggle with the entire concept. Especially the risk of a 14 day prison sentence which I can't viably take.

It does feel as if you are giving yourself a 9-12 month "prison sentence" to avoid the very small possibility of being contacted by Test & Trace.

Two things I would say.

1) Just being in the same restaurant / pub wouldn't always mean you are a close contact - Before being asked to isolate they would try to establish if you were close to the person who has tested positive. If you are a

If you are one side of the restaurant 30 metres from the individual you would be fine.

2) While you should take the advice of Test & Trace there is no legal obligation to do so. There is also no legal requirement for establishments to take details so you might be able to find one that doesn't.

If you are happy then great, you do you, if not then perhaps it is worth giving it a go?

py_megapixel

Established Member
While you should take the advice of Test & Trace there is no legal obligation to do so.
Personally, though I don't want to spend 14 days in self-isolation, I would take the advice of Test & Trace just because it is in my opinion morally unacceptable not to do so.

Having people wandering around in public rather than self-isolating having been told that they have been in contact with a carrier of the virus, just because they don't feel like it, would be a dreadful state of affairs.

Saint66

We had a pre-booked slot for 1945 at Pizza Express , - and were finally seated at 2010. I reiterate this was not in Woking.

There were long queues at other venues in the city. The hard worked staff were flat out , and they had been very busy all day. An excellent experience in all respects.

Was this St Albans by any chance? Been out for my evening exercise last three nights and the eateries around that end of the City have been very busy, which is good to see! I noted decent queues for a couple of places, including Pizza Express. Good to see a lot of places adopting outside tables too where they can.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Personally, though I don't want to spend 14 days in self-isolation, I would take the advice of Test & Trace just because it is in my opinion morally unacceptable not to do so.

Having people wandering around in public rather than self-isolating having been told that they have been in contact with a carrier of the virus, just because they don't feel like it, would be a dreadful state of affairs.

I must admit to being hugely surprised that it isn't legally mandated, it would make absolute sense for it to be so. Are we sure of this? I'm sure I recall something in the original legislation that might be able to be used that way.

jumble

Yes, if they can tolerate them.

I find miles of black and yellow tape, Perspex screens and everyone in masks to be stressful and anxiety inducing. I also cannot wear a mask myself.

If I want to eat out it’s because I want it to be an enjoyable experience. As things stand, for me, it would be anything but. So until things are back to normal I won’t be eating out. And if that’s “never”, then I’ll never eat out again. It’s that simple.

FYI I have not seen any black and yellow tape anywhere and most pub staff were not wearing masks
If you go to a Spoons you will see practically no difference
Perspex screen at Bar
Request not to reuse coffee cups on bottomless
That's it in the two that I have been in

py_megapixel

Established Member
So until things are back to normal I won’t be eating out. And if that’s “never”, then I’ll never eat out again. It’s that simple.
Define "normal".

I highly doubt the world will ever go back to how it was this time last year, and I'd argue that's probably a good thing.

But at some point, social distancing measures will be relaxed to the extent that the yellow tape and face masks - which already appear to be largely nonexistent - can be done away with.

However, for many years, and probably forever, people will be encouraged to walk and cycle, rather than using motorised transport. Again, I'd argue that's a good thing, but it means if you're used to driving or getting the bus to a café/restaurant then you might have to change your habits.

Also the hand gel dispensers might well stick around, as might the policy of not leaving cutlery/condiments on the table.

Those who refuse to participate in something until it's exactly as it used to be - those who resist change - will never do that thing again.

DB

I highly doubt the world will ever go back to how it was this time last year, and I'd argue that's probably a good thing.

I don't agree - people want normality back, and it will return. The question is when.

However, for many years, and probably forever, people will be encouraged to walk and cycle, rather than using motorised transport. Again, I'd argue that's a good thing, but it means if you're used to driving or getting the bus to a café/restaurant then you might have to change your habits.

I suspect it's actually going to have the opposite effect as regards transport. People may be prepared to walk and cycle at the moment, but come November there will be much less enthusiasm and it will be back to cars. Plus many are likely to be put off public transport for a good while at least, so if they have access to cars will use them (of even get one in some cases) - this situation has set back the cause of public transport by years.

Those who refuse to participate in something until it's exactly as it used to be - those who resist change - will never do that thing again.

You seem very sure that your view of the future is what is certain to happen!

Djgr

Established Member

But there are major advantages in keeping the scheme simple and allowing any eating/drinking place to participate rather than having acres of small print exceptions.

jtuk

FYI I have not seen any black and yellow tape anywhere and most pub staff were not wearing masks
If you go to a Spoons you will see practically no difference
Perspex screen at Bar
That's it in the two that I have been in

My Spoons is fairly different, great big Perspex dividers between tables (which nearly got knocked into our pints last week), can't use my normal table, my other local certainly has a bunch of black/yellow tape around. Will trade that for steak + chips + pint = £5.50

Smidster

I was wondering how the unlimited coffee in that chain was being handled - are you allowed to use the machine or does a member of staff need to do it for you?

What is the reasoning behind not reusing a cup? If someone is infected aren't they just putting their mits on more stuff that could transfer to others?

I don't think people want to return to the "February 2020" version of the world and indeed there are lots of surveys showing that people don't want everything to revert back - Things like more flexibility over work / more time with family and shopping local were prominent if I remember rightly. I would guess hospitality will be an area that long term changes less than most but some things will change for sure

Djgr

Established Member
I was wondering how the unlimited coffee in that chain was being handled - are you allowed to use the machine or does a member of staff need to do it for you?

What is the reasoning behind not reusing a cup? If someone is infected aren't they just putting their mits on more stuff that could transfer to others?

I don't think people want to return to the "February 2020" version of the world and indeed there are lots of surveys showing that people don't want everything to revert back - Things like more flexibility over work / more time with family and shopping local were prominent if I remember rightly. I would guess hospitality will be an area that long term changes less than most but some things will change for sure

You are supposed to claim a new cup from the bar. Yes, they let you operate the machine.

Discussed this with my friends and we decided that the policy of not reusing mugs was a load of pants, although no doubt someone will refute this.

DB

You are supposed to claim a new cup from the bar. Yes, they let you operate the machine.

Discussed this with my friends and we decided that the policy of not reusing mugs was a load of pants, although no doubt someone will refute this.

From what I recall the spout on those Wetherspoons machines is well above the cup, so not sure where the risk of transfer is.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone have anything specific to the topic of Will you be eating out to help out?

we already have an existing thread to discuss the wider topic of eating out in the era of the "new normal".

Spamcan81

Ate out to help out yesterday. Visited my local for the first time since lockdown ended to see how their "Covid safe" system worked. While I was drinking my pint, the penny dropped that they were participating in the scheme so I ordered lunch.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Was this St Albans by any chance? Been out for my evening exercise last three nights and the eateries around that end of the City have been very busy, which is good to see! I noted decent queues for a couple of places, including Pizza Express. Good to see a lot of places adopting outside tables too where they can.

Yes it was - and a good mix of people as well.

Ianigsy

Decided to give the Costa over the road from work a go yesterday lunchtime- £3.38 for a large coffee, sausage toastie and a bun wasn't to be sniffed at and beats a Boots sandwich deal by a penny!

sheff1

Established Member
We had a pre-booked slot for 1945 at Pizza Express , - and were finally seated at 2010. ...
An excellent experience in all respects.

Being kept waiting that long for a booked table is not my idea of excellent.

Not counting breakfasts at Spoons, I ate out four times last week (3 walk in, 1 booked). Next week I will be out again, including on the discount days, I hope I do not get turned away (unbooked) or am kept waiting a long time for a booked table due to excessive crowds.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We had a pre-booked slot for 1945 at Pizza Express , - and were finally seated at 2010. I reiterate this was not in Woking....
I assume they had previously been on a train that had to wait for its booked slot at a station, and decided to get their revenge ;) <D

Anyway, 4 of us had no option but to dine in Wetherspoons in Kendal yesterday; we must have tried about a dozen alternatives and none of them had capacity. We got the only available table at around 18:30. the experience was very good the pizza was very nice indeed.

On Monday, I was in a group of 6 and our first choice restaurant was already fully booked (even to dine at 5pm and phoning ahead in advance) and the one we ended up at was full by the time we left at 7pm; we only got in because we arrived when they opened (I posted about the experience in the other thread)

Looking forward to visiting a pub with other forum members in York next week; I'll be sure to book in advance!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Went for tea (x 2) and cakes (x 2) at a local cafe yesterday, with a work colleague, and was quite pleasantly surprised to get change from a fiver. Presumably priced as per Rishi Sunak's half-price deal.

LAX54

Established Member
See they are now recommending that masks are worn, and just removed to actually eat the meal, sort of puts a dampner on it a bit, although I assume that will be widely ignored :) I suppose that is in response to those that have said you have to wear a mask here there and everywhere, but have a meal or go to a pub, then not required.

I would have been gone by 1955 ...(if not 1950) . certainly would not be waiting half an hour to be seated !

Status
Not open for further replies.