• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will you be eating out to help out?

Will you be eating out to help out?

• YES - I will be eating out more often due to the scheme

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • YES - I will be eating out as much as usual, but taking advantage of the scheme

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • NO - I think it's too dangerous to eat out at the moment

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • NO - I do not normally eat out and this scheme won't encourage me

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I will be eating out but avoiding the scheme as it will make places too busy

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Don't know / undecided

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • NO - I'd like to eat out, but won't while the Covid Secure measures are in place

Votes: 19 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djgr

Established Member
Well I certainly include myself in that. I was out for a walk at the at the weekend and passed a pub. There was an outside seating area with lots of empty tables, so I decided it might be nice to stop there for lunch. I was told that if you wanted to eat, you must make a reservation online. The pub in question was in an area with no mobile signal (at least on Vodafone, mine was showing "Emergency use only").

So how on earth are you supposed to make a reservation unless you plan in advance? The suggestion was you should do it from home before coming to the pub!

So I asked if it was possible to use their Wifi to make a reservation for now, but I was told that they were "fully booked". I pointed to the large number of empty tables outside and asked "even these tables outside". Then I was told that it was because they were "short staffed". I gave up. I can't understand how a pub can hope to stay in business insisting on online only booking in an area with no/poor mobile signal and I guess it explains why almost all of the outside tables were empty at 1pm on a Saturday lunch time.

Well indeed. But millions of people DO seem to be able to sort out getting a meal out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not unusual for a restaurant not to use some tables if they are short of waiting staff. That way they give good service to a smaller number of people rather than bad service to a larger number which could affect their reputation.

Djgr

Established Member
No I don't, but that doesn't mean I won't get told to isolate "out of an abundance of caution".

To be honest I could put up with most of the other stuff, it's the requirement to hand over my details so I can be arbitarily placed under house arrest that puts me off. I doubt I'll go near a pub until that requirement goes. A few quid off a meal won't make any difference.

Well pubs have been reopen for a month now and so it should be clear by now that the chances of "house arrest" as you put it are negligible. And probably less than being knocked over on the way to the pub.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well I certainly include myself in that. I was out for a walk at the at the weekend and passed a pub. There was an outside seating area with lots of empty tables, so I decided it might be nice to stop there for lunch. I was told that if you wanted to eat, you must make a reservation online. The pub in question was in an area with no mobile signal (at least on Vodafone, mine was showing "Emergency use only").

So how on earth are you supposed to make a reservation unless you plan in advance? The suggestion was you should do it from home before coming to the pub!

So I asked if it was possible to use their Wifi to make a reservation for now, but I was told that they were "fully booked". I pointed to the large number of empty tables outside and asked "even these tables outside". Then I was told that it was because they were "short staffed". I gave up. I can't understand how a pub can hope to stay in business insisting on online only booking in an area with no/poor mobile signal and I guess it explains why almost all of the outside tables were empty at 1pm on a Saturday lunch time.
It's rare for pubs to behave like this; I would expect such behaviour from much of the rail industry of course, but my advice would be to find another pub and not give up, as in my experience the vast majority of pubs - unlike some train companies - don't see customers as an inconvenience.

AdamWW

Established Member
It's not unusual for a restaurant not to use some tables if they are short of waiting staff. That way they give good service to a smaller number of people rather than bad service to a larger number which could affect their reputation.

I sat down in an Italian restaurant a few years ago and was told I was welcome, but they had one waiter and one chef working so if I wanted a meal there would be quite a wait.

I wasn't in a rush (I was away for work and didn't have anything else to do that evening, and I had a Railway Modeller to read) so I was happy to wait and when the meal came it was very good.

It seemed to me a very good way to handle the situation.

DB

I suspect if people don't play along we will see legislation on the matter as Scotland have.

Yes, because as we know, mask and lockdown enthusiasts have an unhealthy preoccupation with making petty 'laws', and with the associated 'fines', of course!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, because as we know, mask and lockdown enthusiasts have an unhealthy preoccupation with making petty 'laws', and with the associated 'fines', of course!

It beggars belief that anyone would fail to support an effective track and trace system - it has the most potential to obviate the need for any other measures!

DB

It beggars belief that anyone would fail to support an effective track and trace system - it has the most potential to obviate the need for any other measures!

To some of us, it 'beggars belief' that some people still think that this virus can be eliminated!

DB

Track and trace is not about eliminating it, it's about controlling it.

With the ultimate aim of eliminating it - which is not going to happen (probably at all, but certainly within any timescale of less than years or decades).

What otherwise would be the point of controlling it? We are nowhere near overwhelmingthe NHS which would be the only other viable reason.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
With the ultimate aim of eliminating it - which is not going to happen (probably at all, but certainly within any timescale of less than years or decades).

What otherwise would be the point of controlling it? We are nowhere near overwhelmingthe NHS which would be the only other viable reason.
I think this is best discussed in one of the existing threads (not sure which is most appropriate off the top of my head, but if none are, a new thread could be created)

AdamWW

Established Member

Being nowhere near overwhelming the health system with our current restrictions is not the same as saying that if we dropped them all the health system would cope. (There seems to be a very good chance it wouldn't)

I think the problem is that it is asking individuals to make a sacrifice to benefit everyone.

Having to stay home for 2 weeks is unpleasant enough for most of us, but for many it would be a financial disaster.

Perhaps some of the people put off eating out because of the risk of being told to isolate (or who give false details) would behave differently if the government would cover loss of salary, spreading the costs throughout the population rather than concentrating them on the unfortunate.

BJames

Established Member
I don't enjoy the restrictions but I must admit I've used the scheme four times so far. Twice in chains and twice in independents. I must say I haven't experienced the same overdone restrictions that some have mentioned... most restaurants I've been to are not overdoing the restrictions. I haven't been unlucky enough to visit anywhere that's forcing you to parade around the restaurant as part of a one-way system yet, the only "one-way" so far has been one way in and one way out, which I don't mind.

Details have been taken a couple of times but not at every place I've been to. Most places are just incredibly happy to get the business, and I'm happy to support them. I wouldn't be going anywhere that had silly restrictions but I've followed recommendations and gone to the places that are best managing the restrictions they have to implement without being overbearing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perhaps some of the people put off eating out because of the risk of being told to isolate (or who give false details) would behave differently if the government would cover loss of salary, spreading the costs throughout the population rather than concentrating them on the unfortunate.

Perhaps they would, and I'd support that, but the answer is that if that small risk is unacceptable to you for any reason then you should choose not to eat out at present.

DB

Being nowhere near overwhelming the health system with our current restrictions is not the same as saying that if we dropped them all the health system would cope. (There seems to be a very good chance it wouldn't)

We were told that before, and it peaked before the lockdown would have had much effect, without getting anywhere near overwhelming the NHS. There is now more immunity as well so the risk is less than it was then.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We were told that before, and it peaked before the lockdown would have had much effect, without getting anywhere near overwhelming the NHS. There is now more immunity as well so the risk is less than it was then.
I think they are waiting to see what impact the colder months and the onset of other viruses will have, but this is best discussed in another thread.
I don't enjoy the restrictions but I must admit I've used the scheme four times so far. Twice in chains and twice in independents. I must say I haven't experienced the same overdone restrictions that some have mentioned... most restaurants I've been to are not overdoing the restrictions. I haven't been unlucky enough to visit anywhere that's forcing you to parade around the restaurant as part of a one-way system yet, the only "one-way" so far has been one way in and one way out, which I don't mind.

Details have been taken a couple of times but not at every place I've been to. Most places are just incredibly happy to get the business, and I'm happy to support them. I wouldn't be going anywhere that had silly restrictions but I've followed recommendations and gone to the places that are best managing the restrictions they have to implement without being overbearing.
Agreed. This has been my experience too.

Jamiescott1

they are waiting to see what impact the colder months and the onset of other viruses will have, but this is best discussed in another thread.

There should be less "other viruses" as flu and the like are transmitted the same way as covid-19, so increased use of face coverings and social distancing should see a huge reduction in transmission of these other viruses.

But we digress. Back onto topic...

bramling

Veteran Member
It is really, - so many of the general public have only one dimension in their lives and it boils down to price. To me, either a restaurant is worth the prices on its menu or it isn't. Subsidising all eateries from public funds just keeps the not so good ones in business longer.

Nice to be in full agreement with you on something! ;)

Bantamzen

Established Member
At least one major chain of restaurant/pubs around here are simply offering 50% off regardless your food bill.

As for track and trace, some pubs I've been too are using scannable QR codes to populate their T&T data, although as it will always be it is a little rough around the edges, asking only from approximate time of arrival & how long you are planning to stay.

DB

But if some restaurants are "not so good" then surely nobody will go to them and they therefore WON'T receive any subsidy?

The fact that KFC and McDonalds never seem short of customers rather disproves your statement...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At least one major chain of restaurant/pubs around here are simply offering 50% off regardless your food bill.

Which of course they're entitled to do, they'll just have to pay some of it themselves if they do. Same as the way there was no requirement to apply the 80% or cap on furlough, companies could pay full salary if they wish and just had to make it up themselves.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Which of course they're entitled to do, they'll just have to pay some of it themselves if they do. Same as the way there was no requirement to apply the 80% or cap on furlough, companies could pay full salary if they wish and just had to make it up themselves.

The chain is Greene King, although I don't know if this is a national initiative, or a more localised one as they recent took over quite a few pubs in the area. Either way if they want to offer me 50% off my steak, triple cooked chips and all the trimmings then it would be rude not to!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The chain is Greene King, although I don't know if this is a national initiative, or a more localised one as they recent took over quite a few pubs in the area. Either way if they want to offer me 50% off my steak, triple cooked chips and all the trimmings then it would be rude not to!

Their website seems to confirm that they are paying it up to a full 50% off everything except alcohol:

"Yes, you will get 50% off all food and non-alcoholic drinks uncapped. "

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yes and I have done twice. I probably would have done at least once anyway, but it is a nice bonus. The places I've been to were both pretty busy.

As an aside they seem to be putting a blanket £20 off the bill (2 people) regardless of alcoholic drinks. We've paid enough for it not to matter anyway I suppose.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm enjoying taking advantage of it, even for things like cheap coffees in Costa, but like many things, it feels like a typical Tory fudge. They're happy to throw money around to businesses, but they're terrified to give money to individuals in case someone *shock horror* undeserving gets it. There's this paranoia that someone lazy and skiving might get something. It's ridiculous because anyone self-employed under certain criteria gets shedloads of cash with no checks as to whether they've actually lost any income, but people like me - I'm a freelance contractor - have lost thousands and get absolutely nothing.

High Dyke

Established Member
It wasn't really planned, but whilst shopping this morning I called into a coffee shop. Had a drink and cake for considerably less than they usually charge for the coffee on its own. Bargain!

james60059

Personally, I would, BUT I am not prepared to be ushered around like cattle, sit here, don't sit there, then you have to leave straight afterwards - I'm sure I'm not alone in having a natter with others in your party after having a meal and drinks out. Then of course there's the track and trace element, do a 14-day stint in solitary confinement if someone tests positive who has visited the same place.

I'm going to eat my own socks here.

Despite what I said in the aforementioned post above, my better half managed to persuade me to go out today for a meal, went to the Hinckley Knight on the A5, and I must say it was an enjoyable experience, OK there are one way markers but the staff make you feel welcome and the food was really good too. It wasn't really busy so social distancing wasn't an issue.

We'll be doing it next week now too 8-).

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I'm going to eat my own socks here.

Despite what I said in the aforementioned post above, my better half managed to persuade me to go out today for a meal, went to the Hinckley Knight on the A5, and I must say it was an enjoyable experience, OK there are one way markers but the staff make you feel welcome and the food was really good too. It wasn't really busy so social distancing wasn't an issue.

We'll be doing it next week now too 8-).
Excellent, glad to hear you were able to go out and enjoyed it - hopefully people who’re more apprehensive will follow suit and be able to start enjoying what society has to offer once again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.