• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Will you & your family travel for leisure if masks are still mandatory?

Will you & your family travel for leisure if masks are still mandatory?

• Yes

Votes: 100 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 24.7%
  • Yes but probably not as much as before

Votes: 16 10.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'll travel by train for leisure regardless. Would prefer the face mask decree to be lifted at some stage. I certainly think there needs to be a relaxation on open platforms - if changing trains on a long journey, taking some fresh air on the platform can be vital.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ve added an extra option to the poll this morning which I think probably should have been included originally.

Harold Hill

On Moderation
Certainly will NOT travel for leisure in a mask. Apart from the humiliation and discomfort I find the sight of everyone around me masked-up to be quite depressing

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I'll travel by train for leisure regardless. Would prefer the face mask decree to be lifted at some stage. I certainly think there needs to be a relaxation on open platforms - if changing trains on a long journey, taking some fresh air on the platform can be vital.
Aside from TfL stations and Scotland, there is absolutely no requirement to wear a mask on the open part of platforms, it’s only required when the station is “enclosed”.

Personally, I hate the things and think they’re discriminatory, but they wouldn’t put me off going a leisure journey, and I’ve enjoyed many over the past year.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Why is there. So I want to make a journey; I can either (1) go by train and have to wear a mask, or (2) go by car and not have to wear a mask. Option 2 is probably more comfortable, cheaper and quicker.

In what way is choosing option 2 cutting my nose off?

Naturally it’s a different matter for those who don’t have a car, as it may be a case of not making the journey at all - but then again you could always just do something else.
Yep, I’ve got a car which is parked outside my house. I often travel 200 miles and 3.5 hours on a train to visit my football team.

We normally go by train but I will just drive instead, especially as fares had been going up pre-Covid.

I can stay in a hotel if I want a drink, no spite on my nose

nlogax

Established Member
This is that nose/face thing I was talking about...

Yep. I really don't get it. On one hand we have some people who work in the rail industry here furious about the lack of passengers as a result of multiple lockdowns, and in the next breath what appears to be the same group determined to not use trains.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yep. I really don't get it. On one hand we have some people who work in the rail industry here furious about the lack of passengers as a result of multiple lockdowns, and in the next breath what appears to be the same group determined to not use trains.
I wonder when the penny will drop with them that less passengers = less services needed = less staff required? Maybe some are at the end of their careers and are hoping for some juicy pay-outs, but they might be in for a shock with the government now holding all the purse strings.

nlogax

Established Member
I wonder when the penny will drop with them that less passengers = less services needed = less staff required? Maybe some are at the end of their careers and are hoping for some juicy pay-outs, but they might be in for a shock with the government now holding all the purse strings.

Exactly this.

nedchester

Established Member
I'm already claiming a fake exemption and have been for a while.
I think there will be many more claiming exemption from June 21st if the current rules aren't changed.

I think they can go to 'strongly advised' and then people can decide for themselves.

LAX54

Established Member
But the TOC's cannot increase the service until the Dft say they can.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I think there will be many more claiming exemption from June 21st if the current rules aren't changed.

I think they can go to 'strongly advised' and then people can decide for themselves.

I think they would be a huge problem. Take bicycle helmets which are strongly advised but not mandatory.

As I've said before, it's going to cause a lot of confusion and argument between the people who choose to wear masks, and those who choose not to.

takno

Established Member
Agreed, I don't relish them, but we are now used to them, and sometimes it feels odd if you don't wear one ! as with most things, you get used to it after a while.

It also depends a lot on what mask you wear, the blue disposables, that some seem to wear for days..weeks ! are a pain, and uncomfortable, but some of the fabric 'more expensive' ones are fine, I bought a couple from the London Transport Museum, they are fine, could wear them for hours if needed, not too hot / stuffy and can breathe ok.
Don't want to keep harping on about this, but you can't just translate your own experience across to other people. The fact that you initially didn't like them but got used to them after a while doesn't mean that other people suffer discomfort or fear for the same reasons, or can progress through the same process of getting used to them. I know a few people who just can't start wearing them at all, and a lot of people who haven't really ever got used to them at all and continue to be in some level of misery.

Worth bearing in mind that the blue disposables are pretty much the entry level for masks having any useful effect at all. If you are finding a cloth one more comfortable it's very likely that it isn't even theoretically capable of blocking most of the droplets, let alone aerosols.

Established Member
When I was in Italy last October you had to wear a mask outside as well - just be thankful that never happened in the UK.

Amazing how may cigarettes I smoked when removal was permitted for a quick burn.

With regards to travel you just have to play it smart.

Flying over and back I hardly had my mask on due to quaffing the complimentary Highland Park BA kept forcing down my throat and enjoying the complimentary catering. Same in the Lounge prior to boarding.

On a Train in 1st Class with the catering freebies you can avoid wearing a mask for most of the journey - amazing how long a drink can last, like a old man nursing a half of mild in a Pub. Even in Cattle just bring your own as it's a permit to remove your mask.
Great minds think alike, Good Sir!

Grecian 1998

Another factor for me caused by face coverings is that in hot weather I will strive to avoid any services which might be operated by GWR 158s or 166s, due to their ropey air conditioning. Unpleasant at the best of times, but particularly unpleasant now I would imagine. Other GWR local trains aren't too bad - 150s are fine as long as the train is moving, 165s have an effective air cooling system.

I am aware other 158s around the country have the same problems, but I wouldn't travel far enough currently to experience them.

Cdd89

Established Member
Isn't an obvious solution to this to repurpose the "Quiet Carriages"?

We can have a Covid Secure carriage that has:
  • Double masks required
  • No eating and drinking
  • 2 metres around every passenger and if there isn't space you'll have to just wait for the next train
  • No talking
...then the rest of the trains can be normal and people can get on with their lives.

bramling

Veteran Member
Isn't an obvious solution to this to repurpose the "Quiet Carriages"?

We can have a Covid Secure carriage that has:
  • Double masks required
  • No eating and drinking
  • 2 metres around every passenger and if there isn't space you'll have to just wait for the next train
  • No talking
...then the rest of the trains can be normal and people can get on with their lives.

Don’t forget no coughing or sneezing, and no doubt some would probably like no breathing too, just in case.

We have to move on from all this!

Dave91131

As I've said before, it's going to cause a lot of confusion and argument between the people who choose to wear masks, and those who choose not to.

No different to now then with exempt people being subjected to interrogation and abuse by jobsworths and maskivists, based on what I've witnessed and been told about.

LAX54

Established Member
Don't want to keep harping on about this, but you can't just translate your own experience across to other people. The fact that you initially didn't like them but got used to them after a while doesn't mean that other people suffer discomfort or fear for the same reasons, or can progress through the same process of getting used to them. I know a few people who just can't start wearing them at all, and a lot of people who haven't really ever got used to them at all and continue to be in some level of misery.

Worth bearing in mind that the blue disposables are pretty much the entry level for masks having any useful effect at all. If you are finding a cloth one more comfortable it's very likely that it isn't even theoretically capable of blocking most of the droplets, let alone aerosols.
1) I am not the only person to say 'got used to them' and 2) we are saying that the cloth/fabric ones that many ar now wearing, and are not cheap, are no good ? You do seem far more informed than myself.

bramling

Veteran Member
No different to now then with exempt people being subjected to interrogation and abuse by jobsworths and maskivists, based on what I've witnessed and been told about.

Quite simple - posters in every carriage making the situation clear, and anyone who doesn’t like it can move elsewhere or get off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny

Established Member
By masktivists, do you mean unofficial loudmouths?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think that’ll do for this masks thread. We’re going to quit while we’re ahead on this one.
Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.