• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wilmslow to Burnage - permitted route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyj

Can a knowledgeable person clarify whether Wilmslow to Burnage via Manchester Piccadilly is a permitted route for an Anytime Day Return ticket? (I am aware that direct trains exist.)

The National Rail journey planner shows journeys via Man. Picc. (e.g. 17:27 weekdays), and their site states that "When you book your journey online, any ticket offered in connection with the timetable or itinerary produced by the journey planner will be accepted as a permitted route." Does this mean that it is a permitted route?

I've tried reading the National Routing Guide, which seems to show Piccadilly as a routing point, but I'm not confident that I fully understand what I'm reading.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
NRE shows that two tickets are required for the journey via Manchester Piccadilly (agreed that it doesn't make this very clear - clicking on "other tickets" is hardly the most likely place to find that information), so unfortunately no, it's not a permitted route. As Burnage is an associated station of Wilmslow Group routeing point, only through trains, the shortest route and routes within 3 miles of the shortest route are permitted, unless there is a relevant easement (which there isn't).

andyj

Thanks @indigo2. That's then answer I was expecting after further reading of the NRG, but it's nice to have confirmation. Thanks again!

cookie365

I've travelled Euston to Burnage via Piccadilly on a Virgin train that stopped at Wilsmslow. So does that mean I wasn't on a permitted route?

No ticket inspectors at any point raised an objection, and I'm fairly sure that wasn't because they thought I'd come via Sheffield :)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've travelled Euston to Burnage via Piccadilly on a Virgin train that stopped at Wilsmslow. So does that mean I wasn't on a permitted route?

No ticket inspectors at any point raised an objection, and I'm fairly sure that wasn't because they thought I'd come via Sheffield :)
No, as the Routeing Guide is not recursive. Eus-Wml-Man-Bna is a permitted route

Status
Not open for further replies.