• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wimbledon Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewNo2

Why is the track between Putney Bridge and Wimbledon shared with NR? I know there are about three trains per day, at awkward times, which use it, but I'm struggling to understand why. Is it purely to maintain a parliamentary service over the chord at Putney? It's not like the line can be used for diversionary purposes as it's too busy with the District service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
The line does get used for diversionary purposes. It was used a fair bit over the summer blockade at Waterloo. It also allows access to Wimbledon Park depot.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The depot access point (already made above) is not trivial either. It is pretty much essential because of the poor access to the depot on the mainline side. Stock leaving the depot joins the up main fast. The reverse move would require trains from Waterloo using the down main slow to cross over the other three lines.

There are normally 3 trains in passenger service out of about 23 in total each day. Those 20 ECS moves are a significant proportion of the total.

Here's an example page early next year:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...0/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=SW

simple simon

Although built by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) this route to Wimbledon was also served by Metropolitan District Railway (MDR) trains from about the time the line first opened. Originally these were steam powered, and when electrification came (in 1905, I think) a system that would be compatible with trains operated by both railway companies (L&SWR and MDR) was chosen.

Until 1940 there was a shared service but war-time economies (ie: service reductions) saw what by then were Southern Railway 'all stations' services being withdrawn.

Until railway privatisation in 1994 this route and the two intermediate stations was vested in British Rail - even though the main service was as part of the District Line. In the past it was known for BR trains to call at intermediate stations on special occasions, such as when no District Line trains were coming this way, but nowadays the railway industry seems to prefer bus substitution - if anything at all. Of course the passengers would prefer trains, even if only a shuttle between East Putney and Wimbledon.

As previously stated, in addition to ecs (empty coaching stock / not in passenger service) trains travelling to and from Wimbledon depot some (nowadays South Western Railway) passenger trains still travel this way. I agree with those who see them as Parliamentary trains which are really about ensuring the legal fiction of all sections of a railway route still being in passenger service. Its not just for the connections at East Putney but also at Wimbledon.

What may also be noteworthy is that these trains are on longer distance services and they tend to travel at quieter times. The Real Time trains link above shows when they are running. An impediment to running a more frequent service is that only one track remains connected to the route to Waterloo at East Putney (the former northbound track that crossed over the Waterloo route on a viaduct has been removed).

For reasons I do not understand, when on this section of railway all mainline trains are muzzled at a somewhat sedate 30mph.

Simon

Last edited:

simple simon

Southfields and Wimbledon Park.

East Putney is at the northern end and Wimbledon the southern end of the shared section of railway.

Simon

simple simon

btw, my comment about a local mainline service operating when the District Line is not running will be especially pertinent next week as it seems that there will be no District Line service for much of the week between Christmas Eve 2017 and New Years Eve.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
For reasons I do not understand, when on this section of railway all mainline trains are muzzled at a somewhat sedate 30mph.

Simon

Could be a power supply limitation? The online SA for route SW 225 shows that 450 and 458 have a 'power controller notch 2 limit' as well as the 30 mph limit.

urbophile

Established Member
Southfields and Wimbledon Park.

East Putney is at the northern end and Wimbledon the southern end of the shared section of railway.

Simon
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the LSWR/SR/BR actually owned the whole of the District Line tracks from immediately south of Putney Bridge station (including the bridge across the Thames). Though of course they only ran trains from the junction at East Putney.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the LSWR/SR/BR actually owned the whole of the District Line tracks from immediately south of Putney Bridge station (including the bridge across the Thames). Though of course they only ran trains from the junction at East Putney.
Yes I think you are right. Photos of East Putney show the station to have Southern Electric / British Railways branding on the outside. The NR|LU electrification boundary is also on the north side of the river

benc

That line was transferred from British Rail to London Underground in 1994.
The viaduct at East Putney had its arches removed in 1987 because it was unsafe and the work to fix it wasn't thought worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.