• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Winchester to Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosehead

Hi,

I am travelling from Winchester to Edinburgh next w/e (Fri 30th March - Mon 2nd April). I'll be stopping over in Newcastle on the Friday, travelling Newcastle to Edinburgh on the Saturday, and Edinburgh to Winchester on the Monday.

I have a Disabled Adult card, and don't mind going via London. However, I'd like to stop every hour or two for a break of at least half an hour.

Would some kind soul know how to buy the cheapest combination of tickets for this route please? Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
If you are wholly flexible regarding start and finish times, my guess is that we can devise an itinerary to meet your need within the flexibility restrictions of a Railcard discounted £93.05 Super Off-Peak Return Winchester - Edinburgh route ✠ Any Permitted.

The requirement to "stop every hour or two for a break of at least half an hour" will make it difficult to beat that amount at short notice using a combination of Advance tickets.

Before we plan a detailed itinerary, can you please say whether you have any time restrictions?

moosehead

Hi John - thanks for your reply.

The only time restrictions I have are a) I'd like to aim to arrive in Newcastle mid to late afternoon on the Friday b) leave Edinburgh mid to late morning on the Monday. Regarding the breaks, the only requirement I'd really need is a half hour stop between Edinburgh and London (if I'm going via London), if it isn't via London then maybe two stops between Edinburgh and Winchester.

Thanks in advance for your kind help. My apologies for lack of info in my initial post and making things so complicated!

wintonian

Established Member
Hi John - thanks for your reply.

The only time restrictions I have are a) I'd like to aim to arrive in Newcastle mid to late afternoon on the Friday b) leave Edinburgh mid to late morning on the Monday. Regarding the breaks, the only requirement I'd really need is a half hour stop between Edinburgh and London (if I'm going via London), if it isn't via London then maybe two stops between Edinburgh and Winchester.

Thanks in advance for your kind help. My apologies for lack of info in my initial post and making things so complicated!
Going via London the connection time allocated for the transfer (inc. wait for train) is normaly 50 - 60 mins IIRC and depending on the time of day Kings Cross to Waterloo can be done in just over 20 min by changeing at Oxford Circus.

So bar to possibility of adding adding on an extra 5 – 10 mins if you want to be on the safe side of getting a 'break' I really wouldn't worry too much about breaking in London ypu will have more than enougth time.

John @ home

Established Member

Thanks for this. The Railcard discounted £93.05 Super Off-Peak Return Winchester - Edinburgh route ✠ Any Permitted allows break of journey, is valid via London or Birmingham as you choose, and the time restrictions are not too onerous. These are set out in Validity Code 9F and, if you travel via Birmingham, Code 2V.

The main potential obstacle is the overnight break of the outward leg of the journey in Newcastle. The rules on this have changed at least twice since 2008 and are in the process of changing again. My suggestion is that you buy your ticket from Northern because their Super Off-peak fares - terms and conditions meet your requirements:
Northern Rail said:
Where Break of Journey is available on your specific journey, if you wish to stop overnight or it is not possible to complete the journey by 0230 on the day following the last day of validity, you may continue your journey the following morning. Travel must resume before 1200, where the time restrictions that apply to the ticket should be observed and no further break of journey is allowed except to change trains.

http://www.northernrail.org/travel/tickets/terms-and-conditions-offpeak-tickets
This corresponds with the notes on overnight break of the outward leg of the journey in Validity Code 9F:
Validity Code 9F said:
Overnight Break of Journey (see break of journey notes at start of this section) - restarting journey from an intermediate station: Outward (on day 2): outward morning restrictions as above apply from/via the stations shown above (Monday-Friday). Recommencing from any other station en route that is north of the stations shown above must be on trains timed to depart 09:30 or later (Monday-Friday).

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/pdfs/SSR_9F.pdf
The "break of journey notes at start of this section" are
National Fares Manual NFM 11 CD (Jan - May 2012) said:
BREAK OF JOURNEY

Break of journey is allowed on the OUTWARD portion of Super Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's Restriction Code, and in all cases on the RETURN portion of Super Off-Peak return tickets.

Super Off-Peak Singles and the outward portion of Super Off-Peak Returns are valid for travel on the date shown on the ticket. Where a passenger wishes to stop overnight or the journey cannot be completed within one day, break of journey for an overnight stay is allowed.

Where a journey continues into the next day, travel must resume before 1200 and any relevant time restrictions apply (except where regarded as an unbroken continuation of the previous days' travel where the first connection of the day may be taken). No further break of journey is allowed except for the purposes of changing trains.

Please note that break of journey is not permitted on some journeys, as detailed in in the ticket restrictions.

Return portions of Super Off-Peak Return tickets are valid for travel until 0230 on the day following the last day of validity (i.e. one calendar month from the outward journey). If a passenger is still travelling at 0230, they may stay on the train to complete that part of the journey but no further break of journey is allowed and all travel must be completed by 1200.
Some other ticket vending sites have different break of journey conditions which contradict Code 9F and are less suitable for your needs.

If I were making this journey, I would buy online from Northern, collect my ticket prior to travel from a Winchester ticket machine, print copies of my purchase confirmation and of Northern's Super Off-peak fares - terms and conditions, and carry these with me on the journey.

Trips to and from Edinburgh are greatly to be enjoyed. Don't let these technicalities stop you doing just that!

cuccir

Established Member
There are also still some advance fares which might suit. These obviously cut back on your flexibility, as they restrict you to the booked train (unless you are delayed en route...). I'd advise booking these ASAP to get these prices, and from East Coast's website. They only save you £5 on the super-off peak return, but also avoids the issues with overnight break of journey!

30th March,
Winchester - Newcastle £34.35

Winchester 10:25
London Waterloo11:34
London Underground from London Waterloo to London Kings Cross
London Kings Cross 12:30
Newcastle15:43
Train terminates at Newcastle

1st April,
Newcastle - Edinburgh £12.25 FIRST CLASS (cheaper than standard class)
Available on the 09:44, 09:55, 10:39, 10:54

2nd April
Edinburgh - Newcastle £7.90
Edinburgh 09:08
Newcastle10:38

Newcastle-Winchester £34.35
Newcastle 12:25
London Kings Cross15:45
London Underground from London Kings Cross to London Waterloo
London Waterloo 16:39
Winchester17:48

That gives you a 2 hour wait in Newcastle on the way back. You can book slightly later trains down to Newcastle for £14.20/£14.75 if that is too long a wait. Alternatively if you wanted to put a change of scenery into your wait, and to do so a little closer to London, an off-peak day single to Durham would set you back £2.20 and could be added on to that Edinburgh-Newcastle advance. You can then get a Durham-Winchester £34.35 ticket on the same train as above, departing Durham at 12.37.

Status
Not open for further replies.