• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris89

Established Member
So has anybody taken the plunge and installed the public version of Windows 10 yet?

I have done so. Although only on my laptop for now. Desktop will wait.

So far rather impressed with it, seems to perform better the Windows 7 and looks like it without the horrible Metro UI from Windows 8/8.1

Chris

Senex

Established Member
I've done it too. Whole process took about 90 minutes and seemed to go very smoothly. The actual download was very fast indeed. Everything seems to be working so far, though OneDrive is taking quite a long time to "Process Changes".

AM9

Veteran Member
I've done it too. Whole process took about 90 minutes and seemed to go very smoothly. The actual download was very fast indeed. Everything seems to be working so far, though OneDrive is taking quite a long time to "Process Changes".

Do you do an install over the current OS? Also, is it possible to revert to the original OS?

Senex

Established Member
Do you do an install over the current OS? Also, is it possible to revert to the original OS?

Yes, it installs as an upgrade. Yes, it provides an option to step back (available for one month, I believe).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
One of my sons, ever mindful of a free upgrade, took the plunge and signed up for the offer. He then saw the Windows Upgrade page show this and under the panel with that information, in small typeface, was the ability to click on to view any Windows upgrades.

He has just telephoned me to say that the "Windows 10" panel has completely vanished and the Windows update page is now back to normal.

Crossover

Established Member
I've registered for it for my laptop but haven't been on it for a couple of days. I work in IT and am keen to give it a whirl (maybe in VM form) as soon as possible - I cant wait to kill the odd Windows 8.1 machines we have at work with fire!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I've registered for it for my laptop but haven't been on it for a couple of days. I work in IT and am keen to give it a whirl (maybe in VM form) as soon as possible - I cant wait to kill the odd Windows 8.1 machines we have at work with fire!

We visited the John Lewis store at Cheadle Royal this afternoon and in the computer department, I overheard an assistant talking to a customer about Windows 8 and saying "rather uncomplimentary things" about it.

SS4

Established Member
I'm surprised there hasn't been much mention of the issues regarding privacy. I think it's fair to say that you may not be forking over any £££ but you are paying with your privacy. I also find it suspicious that MS have made it quite difficult to find the Windows 10 privacy policy/EULA on their website for perusal.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings

Windows 10 is under attack over default settings which users say compromise their privacy, just days after the operating system’s successful launch saw more than 14 million installs in the first 24 hours.

Hundreds of commenters on sites such as Hacker News and Reddit have criticised default settings that send personal information to Microsoft, use bandwidth to upload data to other computers running the operating system, share Wi-Fi passwords with online friends and remove the ability to opt out of security updates.

Many of the complaints relate to the new personalised adverts embedded in Windows 10. When the OS is installed, Microsoft assigns the user a unique advertising ID, which it ties to the email address registered with the company. That email address is also associated with a raft of other services, such as the company’s productivity and communication programs, as well as app downloads and cloud-storage uploads.

more from google

Last edited:

Temple Meads

Established Member
I'm happy enough with 8.1 to be honest, the only sticking point I had originally was the lack of a start menu, but I got over that fairly swiftly.

Crossover

Established Member
We visited the John Lewis store at Cheadle Royal this afternoon and in the computer department, I overheard an assistant talking to a customer about Windows 8 and saying "rather uncomplimentary things" about it.

Sounds like they were putting it fairly nicely then!

The Server version of the same OS winds me up no end - that flippin' Metro interface on a server - I hope Microsoft get that updated soon too!

richw

Veteran Member
I've had endless problems with windows 8.1, so took the plunge and so far so good.

My main problem with 8.1 it kept uninstalling my wireless driver, which when I first had the problem I discovered to be a common problem with Toshiba laptops on 8.1. So far 10 has not lost the wireless driver,

redbutton

I've been using it as part of the Insider programme for about a month. I upgraded directly from Windows 7. I've had no major issues.

The full-screen Metro interface from 8/8.1 is gone; it now has a Start menu that has the app list on the left and live tiles on the right. The taskbar has a search bar in it that can be used for the Cortana smart assistant or you can opt out of that and have a more traditional search for apps and files.

What were Metro apps are now windowed by default but can be fullscreened (e.g. I use the Netflix app rather than the website.)

It's good. I hated Windows 8 but I really do like 10.

455driver

Veteran Member
A daft question from a computer novice, do you need to back everything up, install windows 10 and then reinstall everything else you or do you just download windows 10 and everything else stays where it is.

Cheers in advance.

Domh245

Established Member
My understanding is that it will simply update the OS files, and everything else should remain in place, but back-ups never do any harm!

Senex

Established Member
A daft question from a computer novice, do you need to back everything up, install windows 10 and then reinstall everything else you or do you just download windows 10 and everything else stays where it is.

Cheers in advance.

It's always wise to keep an up-to-date backup of your own files. But no, you don't need to do anything special for Windows 10 if you're already running 7, 8, or 8.1. You just do the download and then start things running, and it basically looks after itself. When it is all up and running you will have some choices about permissions. Don't let it do the automatic, but choose to intervene and see if you are happy to let Microsoft get hold of all the information they want. But they really have made the process very easy this time.

dgl

Established Member
Upgraded at the weekend, I think it's a bit (but not much) slower than 8.1.

I personally got used to the metro interface and didn't see what all the fuss was about, going back to the start menu seems a little strange now as I haven't used a version of Windows with a normal start menu for a while.

Don't like the new window design and not being able to easily see which window is active.

Desktop will, however, be staying at windows 8.0 for the time being as I have hardware that is not compatible with 8.1.

And for anyone who wants to know it was a painless install (on a 2003/4 Fujitsu i3 SB laptop) just downloaded, asked you to accept the license agreement and restarted. Once restarted went into upgrade mode and took about 10-20 mins to do the upgrade. All files/folders/programs are left untouched (inc. Cookies/passwords on IE/Firefox)

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Having done an in-situ upgrade on the machine I am currently using, I'll confirm that you do not need to do anything except run the upgrade.

It is however ALWAYS wise to have a backup copy of any files that are important and notes of settings and passwords ... just in case.

455driver

Veteran Member
It's always wise to keep an up-to-date backup of your own files. But no, you don't need to do anything special for Windows 10 if you're already running 7, 8, or 8.1. You just do the download and then start things running, and it basically looks after itself. When it is all up and running you will have some choices about permissions. Don't let it do the automatic, but choose to intervene and see if you are happy to let Microsoft get hold of all the information they want. But they really have made the process very easy this time.

Thank you for such a clear answer, I do back everything up every month or so (normally just photos) so there isn't much to lose.

I might give this 10 a go, I find 8 and 8.1 diabolical and much prefer the XP on my old laptop.

Haydn1971

Established Member
I might give this 10 a go, I find 8 and 8.1 diabolical and much prefer the XP on my old laptop.

As someone who's been familiar with Windows since 3.1, I really struggled with Win8 last year when we bought new base towers for the parents - I threw Win10 onto mine at the weekend (I'd been hanging on with Win7) and found it pretty refreshing to use after the horrors of Win8/8.1

carriageline

Established Member
Absolutely fantastic.

Tried the upgrade to windows 10, hung up on the update and had to 'refresh' my PC. Brilliant, apparently I get to keep all my stuff (coming from 8.1)

Refresh worked fine, I'm back on 8.1 with all my files intact, just moved to windows.old.

Now, I've just gone to start migrating everything back over to try the update again, to find windows.old missing my program files and program files (86x).

Thinking I've messed up, I go to google.

Microsoft, in all their wisdom, think it's a great idea to DELETE the BACKUP you asked them to create, after 28 days!!!!!!!!!

Not only that, many people are complaining they haven't even seen 20 days nevermind 28 before it randomly starts deleting folders in windows.old.

Microsoft, you have truly out down your self this time.

Anyone got any ideas? Simply don't have any helpful backups.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I've been having a bit of a nightmare with it - it seems nVidia's drivers don't work properly yet, and so I'm getting horrendous flickering, and keep having to restart the explorer.exe process.

Giugiaro

There were several people who had the Windows 10 files corrupted during downloading, creating problems while upgrading. This can eventually damage sectors on the disk and rewrite data entirely if the update is carried out.

It may be a good idea to search for similar enquiries on Microsoft Community, or ask a question:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10?tab=Threads

New drivers are being added for Windows 10 due to changes on the DirectX API. I had to install a new version of the drivers straight from the website, since the old ones I had installed weren't firing up.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

As someone who's been familiar with Windows since 3.1, I really struggled with Win8 last year when we bought new base towers for the parents - I threw Win10 onto mine at the weekend and found it pretty refreshing to use after the horrors of Win8/8.1

The experience of Windows 10 has been really great on Desktop and Laptop computers. For mouse and keyboard users, the OS is very sturdy right from the start and has got new cumulative updates already, so the efficiency and reliability of Windows 10 will increase steadily.

For those who have laplets and convertibles, the experience with touch is still a bit sluggish and may disappoint some people who have grown fond of Windows 8.1 when using devices like the Surface Pro. I talk by myself since I'm really happy with Windows 10 on the Desktop but then, sometimes, I become really frustrated with it on my Surface Pro 1. Several changes have already been announced for September and October that may change some aspects of the Tablet mode.

Last edited:

TheKnightWho

Established Member
There were several people who had the Windows 10 files corrupted during downloading, creating problems while upgrading. This can eventually damage sectors on the disk and rewrite data entirely if the update is carried out.

It may be a good idea to search for similar enquiries on Microsoft Community, or ask a question:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10?tab=Threads

It's a well-known bug, on a clean install as well so I'm waiting for nVidia to just release better drivers really.

I seem to have managed to get Windows to stop automatically overwriting the better drivers at least, but they're still far from perfect.

Clip

Established Member
Im gonna wait till I buy me new laptop in autumn. Had a good play on me mates the other night and seems good

Status
Not open for further replies.