• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Will that be for the same reason they did not use Windows 9?

Apparently the reason for missing out 9 were that a search for "9" would likely include "95" and "98" too, so they jumped to 10

As has been said by another poster, it has been said 10 will remain and just be updated - what actually happens remains to be seen, so watch this space!

PeterY

Established Member
I tried Windows 10. It totally screwed up my Hotmail account and anti virus. I reverted back. I'm still happy with 8.1 and I'll stick with it, until my laptop gives up the ghost.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I tried Windows 10. It totally screwed up my Hotmail account and anti virus. I reverted back. I'm still happy with 8.1 and I'll stick with it, until my laptop gives up the ghost.

Has any formal response been forthcoming from those who runs Windows regarding feedback from contributors who have decided not to change to Windows 10, even though a free upgrade had been made available.

I do wonder as to the actual percentage of Windows 7 and 8 users who did not make the change during the period of the free update.

Howardh

Established Member
I expect the next wersion of Windows to be compulsory not optional. That's why it's Ubuntu for me, it seems to do everything I need (my needs are very simple).

How do you load software from a CD onto Ubuntu...in nice, simple language an idiot like me can understand?

If there's a Ubuntu For Dummies site, please link!

DaleCooper

Established Member
Ulead Photo Express 5, on CD.
Magix Music Editor (CD)
Granite 2 (CD)

I don't know if they are compatible with Ubuntu if they are it should be no different to installing in Windows, if not you'd have to find similar software on the Ubuntu Software Centre such as GIMP for photo and image editing.

Howardh

Established Member
I don't know if they are compatible with Ubuntu if they are it should be no different to installing in Windows, if not you'd have to find similar software on the Ubuntu Software Centre such as GIMP for photo and image editing.

Well, they work on XP and 7 but not on 10. So, chances of working on Unbuntu?

SS4

Established Member
I expect the next wersion of Windows to be compulsory not optional. That's why it's Ubuntu for me, it seems to do everything I need (my needs are very simple).

Indeed, I can see Microsoft revoking licences on machines that refuse to update or do not "call home" rendering your computer useless. This is a company which initially wanted to control your computer through Safe Boot, ostensibly in the case of security but in reality to force you to use windows on your own hardware.

+1 for using Ubuntu (personally I prefer Kubuntu as I'm not a Unity fan). As a note to anyone looking to try you can try the Operating System before installing it

DaleCooper

Established Member
Indeed, I can see Microsoft revoking licences on machines that refuse to update or do not "call home" rendering your computer useless. This is a company which initially wanted to control your computer through Safe Boot, ostensibly in the case of security but in reality to force you to use windows on your own hardware.

+1 for using Ubuntu (personally I prefer Kubuntu as I'm not a Unity fan). As a note to anyone looking to try you can try the Operating System before installing it

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek but your response heightens my trepidation. With internet having become so important to everyday life it's important that the hegemony of Microsoft is challenged before we get into a position where the world could effectively be held to ransom. I know that is extreme and alarmist but I don't trust Microsoft not to attempt more subtle strategies as evidenced by the data gathering inherent in Windows 10. Even if Microsoft is currently managed by benevolent people that will not necessarily always be the case, imagine if Donald Trump got control of it.

trainmania100

Established Member
I have Ubuntu installed on my USB stick as a live USB. Ubuntu is nice however I wouldn't want to move to it completely . I use Ubuntu at work our web servers are Apache based using LAMP stack and Ubuntu terminal used to install stuff. Its more complex than windows

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I have Ubuntu installed on my USB stick as a live USB. Ubuntu is nice however I wouldn't want to move to it completely . I use Ubuntu at work our web servers are Apache based using LAMP stack and Ubuntu terminal used to install stuff. Its more complex than windows

Can Ubuntu be run from a USB stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.