• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Windows Powershell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
I haven't used PowerShell for years.

What is it?

Go to your windows 'type here to search' and enter 'cmd' that should bring up a black window with something like C:\users\ If you are old enough to remember MS-DOS you will instantly recognise it. PowerShell is a more powerfull version. You can also type powershell directly into the search and open it up directly from there. It will look blue instead of black.

You can run various commands that can poke about in your PC.

type 'cmd'
at the command prompt type 'cd\'
you should see the command prompt as 'C:\>'
type 'dir' and hit enter

It should list all your folders. :)

They type 'Deltree'...... (don't do that)

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member

Go to your windows 'type here to search' and enter 'cmd' that should bring up a black window with something like C:\users\ If you are old enough to remember MS-DOS you will instantly recognise it. PowerShell is a more powerfull version. You can also type powershell directly into the search and open it up directly from there. It will look blue instead of black.

Oh that, yes I've seen it before. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Used Powershell sorting out Windows 10 security holes.
Configuring and deleting unwanted windows services and scheduled tasks

Crossover

Established Member
Has anyone on this website ever used it?

Yes - it is becoming something of a staple for managing a network and the periphery of Microsoft stuff

type 'cmd'
at the command prompt type 'cd\'
you should see the command prompt as 'C:\>'
type 'dir' and hit enter

It should list all your folders. :)

They type 'Deltree'...... (don't do that)

That's the Command Prompt - PowerShell is a different beast (it does support most of what cmd does, but also does significantly more)

87 027

I am running my tablet (Surface) in Windows 10 Home S Mode which fortunately means cmd.exe, PowerShell and assorted other tools with the ability to do great damage are not allowed to launch. I have thought long and hard about whether to exit S Mode and so far have decided against it. (I have also downloaded the original recovery image for my particular device model from Microsoft in case it is ever needed)

route:oxford

Established Member
Has anyone on this website ever used it?

Yes, regularly.

If someone from "Microsoft" or "Your Broadband Supplier", or "your bank" phones you and asks you to do anything with the command prompt or asks you to install software on your laptop or computer, just put the phone down and speak to a younger relative or neighbour before you do anything.

Absolutely nothing bad will happen if you do nothing no matter what they try and tell you on the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for the discussion of Windows Powershell. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.