Windsor Rail Link

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by monsento, 2 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monsento

monsento Member

ive been watching the windsor rail link developments with keen interest now they have approval and funding they are getting a plan together on how to build the thing.

where will ten cars go at Slough?

2. bluenoxid

bluenoxid Established Member

I would not say that they have funding that will get them through GRIP and the only approval I am aware of is inclusion on the local plan. However, if you can confirm otherwise, I would be interested. WRATH is a separate project.

3. monsento

monsento Member

see the main site it is funded is the more the permission/planning then building, loads of red tape!

Last edited: 2 May 2015
  4. bluenoxid

bluenoxid Established Member

They need £100m and they are not celebrating that. They may claim a robust business case but that is very different to cash in the hand. They have got a major amount of work to do before the first sod is cut on site

5. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

Is there really a market of people wanting to get from one side of Windsor to the other? Seems like a lot of money for an uncharted benefit.

6. monsento

monsento Member

look at it again lol

7. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Noblesse oblige, as they say in Rotherhithe.

8. QueensCurve

QueensCurve Established Member

"Windsor Link" or "Ordsall Lane Chord"?

The Windsor Link (and Salford Crescent Station) was built in the mid 1980s.

9. gswindale

gswindale Member

What has Salford got to do with The Windsor Link Railway (www.windsorlink.co.UK)?

10. QueensCurve

QueensCurve Established Member

Mia Culpa. I had no idea that there was a proposal for a "Windsor Link" in Windsor. It made me think immediately about the one in Salford!

11. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

Is it not officially "Windsor Bridge" in Salford, as that is what the signs refer to the junction name as?

In peace

Adam

12. quantinghome

quantinghome Member

couldn't find anything on that website that said it had funding in place. looks more aspirational than anything. A solution in search of a problem.

13. snowball

snowball Established Member

"Windsor Link" is the name for the section of railway in Salford from Ordsall Lane Junction to Salford Crescent station (Windsor Bridge South Junction). This section is younger than the surrounding railways by well over 100 years - it was built in the late 1980s.

14. edwin_m

edwin_m Established Member

We seem to have three schemes mixed up here.

Windsor Link in Salford was the connection between Ordsall Lane and Salford Crescent as stated.

Western Rail Access to Heathrow provides a link to the GW main line towards Reading and has funding.

Windsor Link in Windsor is a proposed scheme with no funding and considerable doubts on feasibility. WRAth plus an "Airtrack Lite" or similar scheme (to introduce a fourth one, not funded) providing a link from the Staines area to Heathrow would provide similar connectivity albeit probably with a change of train at Terminal 5.

15. civ-eng-jim

civ-eng-jim Member

The design for Western Rail Link to Heathrow (As it's now called) is well underway. The Alignment is almost nailed and the GRIP3 design will be done by the end of the year ready for the Development Consent Order application early 2016.

Probably rules out the Windsor Links scheme......

16. monsento

monsento Member

oh well next time i meet the director ill tell him to close down... its happening! the gears are grinding just takes time. only phase two mentions heathrow and is a totally separate plan.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    my question to the forum was about Slough, and the capacity.

Last edited: 3 May 2015
  17. edwin_m

edwin_m Established Member

If they are going ahead without knowing whether Slough has capacity then I have serious doubts regarding their competence.

A few moments on Bing Maps confirms that the Slough bay is far too short for 10 cars and extending it would destroy the historic station building or at least totally change its setting. Crossrail trains will run on the Relief lines which are separated from the Windsor branch by the Main lines. The Mains have an intensive service of high speed trains and there's basically no way a branch service would be allowed to cross them on the flat.

18. monsento

monsento Member

its the terminus, looking at Slough its going to be interesting if they do want to expand.

19. MarkyT

MarkyT Established Member

It looks like an extension of the existing bay to 10 car length would be feasible under the William Street Bridge and without any changes to the historic buildings or canopies, and it might be possible to construct another parallel platform alongside where there was once a siding with a loading dock, although the access to the station car park alongside the branch further west would have to be rearranged to make space. Some junction pointwork may need moving and the new platform(s) might have to curve a little at the western extremities.

Last edited: 5 May 2015
  20. EM2

EM2 Established Member

Having lived in both Windsor and Slough, and also having worked in Camberley, I really cannot see the point.
    I'm pretty sure I never heard anyone say 'What Windsor needs is both the railway lines linked up'.

Last edited: 5 May 2015
  21. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

Have Network Rail had any input to the proposals?

22. ironstone11

ironstone11 Member

23. dysonsphere

dysonsphere Member

Just read old thread and agree pigs might fly before this silly idea gets built. And there still trying the staines Heathrow link failed before on the level crossing problems

24. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

However I believe a straightforward Heathrow to Staines terminating service (using a new west facing bay platform) wouldn't involve any level crossings. All those well documented issues were towards Waterloo or Woking, I think an extension of Hex or Crossrail just as far as Staines would be relatively straightforward; and possibly all you'd need if WRatH is in place as well...

25. gswindale

gswindale Member

Indeed a direct link from Staines to Heathrow would be a big benefit for some as it would help confections by avoiding either traveling to Reading and getting the coach or traveling to Feltham and getting the local bus.

I would certainly use such a service subject to connecting timings with the Reading line services.

26. monsento

monsento Member

exactly, and regenerated park in Windsor would be spectacular, much more suited to a world heritage site and the jewel in the uk.

27. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

Aren't both stations in Windsor already rather striking from an architectural point of view?

There's simply no need for a cross-Windsor line, in fact even less need than there is of the "Bradford Crossrail" proposal that resurfaces every few years.

28. philabos

philabos Member

As a visitor, I have stayed in Windsor many times. I too have to wonder why a direct line would even be considered. It is certainly an easy walk from town centre to either station.
    Admittedly the SWT service is slow, but if your destination is in the Waterloo area of the city it is faster than going via Slough and the tube beyond Paddington.

29. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

OK, I'll say it.

Just what are you on about here? Do you still think this proposal is going to happen, despite the lack of evidence that it ever will, and has a 'regenerated park' got anything to do with it at all?

30. MarkyT

MarkyT Established Member

I am not saying the scheme is viable or justified in it's currently envisaged form, but not all journeys are to or from London! Their website explains the concept is about making many more local journeys easier by public transport, such as Slough to Staines. A tram-train running on surface streets through Windsor might be a better bet. That could replace the Slough - Windsor shuttle, and with reversal at Slough could be extended via a flyover then use of the GWML Reliefs to Maidenhead, Bourne End and Marlow, and with a cheaper more lightly built new build link to High Wycombe, joining the Chiltern line near Loudwater, with light rail standards solving the level crossings problem in Bourne End.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.