• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Windsor to Surrey Quays

Status
Not open for further replies.

gst

Hi all, looking for the cheapest way to get from Windsor to Surrey Quays, weekday off-peak. Am I right in thinking I should get a Windsor Riverside - Feltham anytime day single (£5.50), get off the train, tap in again at Feltham, change at Clapham Junction for the Overground (£1.50)?

Or is there a better / quicker way? I will be travelling in December, so will the SWR strikes affect me?

Thank you all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonbridge

Established Member
Strike timetables are being published so you may want to consult them. Also sit at the rear of the train and if you’re quick enough at Feltham it’s possible to jump off, tap in and jump back on the same train.

freddie1729

The fare for Feltham to Surrey Quays is £3.00. The £1.50 zones 2-6 fare is for (most) TfL services only.

Still cheaper than Windsor to Surrey Quays in total though!

If you don't want to get off the train, you can get two paper tickets (splitting at Feltham) for £5.50 + £5.10.

Last edited:

gst

The fare for Feltham to Surrey Quays is £3.00. The £1.50 zones 2-6 fare is for (most) TfL services only.

Still cheaper than Windsor to Surrey Quays in total though!

If you don't want to get off the train, you can get two paper tickets (splitting at Feltham) for £5.50 + £5.10.

yep I checked on trainsplit - so it will be 2 quids saved if I get off the train (and possibly a 15-minute wait, if I fail to get back on the same train). Thanks!

PeterC

Established Member
Check the default route on the TfL single fare finder. I haven't checked but guess that the default would assume via zone 1 so you may need to find a pink reader at Clapham Junction.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Check the default route on the TfL single fare finder. I haven't checked but guess that the default would assume via zone 1 so you may need to find a pink reader at Clapham Junction.

The single fare finder says there's no need for the pink reader at Clapham Jn, presumably because any (sane) route via zone 1 would involve going through NR and LU gatelines, e.g. at Waterloo, Victoria or Vauxhall.

Worth bearing in mind the aforementioned £3 contactless/Oyster fare is off-peak - the peak fare (touch-ins between 0630-0930 and 1600-1900 weekdays) is £4.40.

Also, as has been mentioned SWR will be subject to strike action throughout much of December - I think I might prefer the extra cost of a split paper ticket versus the uncertainty of a potentially lengthy wait at Feltham were some services not to run. (Or even a more expensive journey on GWR from Windsor & Eton Central station via Slough to Paddington then Tube.)

Status
Not open for further replies.