• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wine with Fish & Chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread doesn't seem to have come up before. Anyone have any tips for a decent wine to enjoy with fish and chips? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Don't drink wine, so either a cup of tea or a decent beer. Would be quite interesting to find out what kind of wine goes well with it though I do admit.

Yew

Established Member
I think quite a sour white would go well with the chips, but i think a sweeter white would be needed for the fish

I wondered how long it would be before that one came up:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't drink wine, so either a cup of tea or a decent beer. Would be quite interesting to find out what kind of wine goes well with it though I do admit.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the suggestions too. I have also eaten fish & chips, accompanied by a good strong cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that. Not tried them with beer - not sure about that.

For those fish and chip lovers familiar with the Yorkshire Coast, my late father frequented the Magpie Cafe in Whitby. He once related, the story of someone having their fish and chips with a mug of hot chocolate. He thought it was the ultimate sacrilege!

Last edited:

deltic1989

Established Member
On the basis of the fish a sweet white would slide down nicely, but I think that with the crunchy batter Paul discribes (The Bank in Nottingham does very nice crunchy batter) a pint of bitter or real ale would be more appropiate.

Ascot

Established Member
White wine for fish. A red, I find, kills the taste of a white "meat". Try a sparkling before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael.Y

Established Member
There's only two drinks you are legally allowed to have with chips.

1. Bitter Shandy

2. Dandelion & Burdock.

Case closed.

Crisso

When I visit Rick Stein's Fish & Chips Restaurant in Padstow, North Cornwall - I drink draught Chalky's Bark Beer brewed by local Sharps Brewery. It's a crisp, dry cross between Lager and Bitter, apparently intended to accompany Fish & Chips.

White wine for fish. A red, I find, kills the taste of a white "meat". Try a sparkling before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with a nice red with turkey etc. If you like it, drink it!!
If the wine is too sour, stir in some sugar!
I must agree a hot cup of tea hits the spot, and helps wash the grease down!!
Vimto is ok too.

Status
Not open for further replies.