• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wireless charging on trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Is a wireless charging pad likely to be more reliable, and therefore less hassle for the operator, than a USB socket?

On some of the vehicles Transdev use for their Aireline (Keighley - Leeds, 60) services are wireless charging points. These buses haven't been around for too long and already some are not functioning. Whether this is a reliability issue or maintenance one I couldn't say, but there are only 4 per bus at the seats over the rear axle so it shouldn't be too hard a thing to keep on top of.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
On some of the vehicles Transdev use for their Aireline (Keighley - Leeds, 60) services are wireless charging points. These buses haven't been around for too long and already some are not functioning. Whether this is a reliability issue or maintenance one I couldn't say, but there are only 4 per bus at the seats over the rear axle so it shouldn't be too hard a thing to keep on top of.

I suspect this is falling foul of the usual bus-company adage that if it moves it goes out in service, i.e. fixing it isn't a priority. That or they have bought cheap rubbish, another bus company favourite.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I suspect this is falling foul of the usual bus-company adage that if it moves it goes out in service, i.e. fixing it isn't a priority. That or they have bought cheap rubbish, another bus company favourite.

Possibly, but I suspect just like USB ports being installed up & down the network, if one falls over on a unit TOCs won't be sweating too much about getting it back working. Personally for journeys that might mean I need extra mobile juice, I'll stick to my handy Anker power bank that cost me £25!!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Possibly, but I suspect just like USB ports being installed up & down the network, if one falls over on a unit TOCs won't be sweating too much about getting it back working. Personally for journeys that might mean I need extra mobile juice, I'll stick to my handy Anker power bank that cost me £25!!

As will I, though on occasions everyone gets caught out. To me sockets are more useful as mains sockets for the laptop.

Belperpete

Established Member
I disagree, in the case of 230s that don't have a faultless reliability record it is a distraction from getting the basics right. I'm sorry if I sound negative, I'm all for Wifi, wired charging, wireless charging, streamed media, etc. etc. but until the basics are being delivered, namely no cancellations these technologies are simply a distraction
As realistically we are never likely to get to a situation where there are no cancellations, what you are effectively proposing is that there should never be any other improvements! Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, do you think we shouldn't make any improvements to transport until we have fixed the NHS?

I do think that there is an argument for not adding extra complexity. The more complex you make something, the less reliable it will be. These charging points will inevitably fail, and will require resources and time to fix. Assuming anyone ever bothers to routinely check that they are still working in the first place. While having these chargers may initially increase passenger satisfaction, in the long term they could have a negative impact if they are not properly maintained. Like when catering or wifi is advertised but not provided, passengers will inevitably be aggrieved if a charging facility is advertised but not available.

Belperpete

Established Member
There was an incident recently where a flight had to be diverted due to a mobile device catching fire whilst charging. In that incident I think it was being charged from the owner's own power bank, but I am waiting for the first case where a mobile catches fire while being charged from one of these onboard charging points, and the mobile's owner blames the bus/train company for their charger causing the fire.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There was an incident recently where a flight had to be diverted due to a mobile device catching fire whilst charging. In that incident I think it was being charged from the owner's own power bank, but I am waiting for the first case where a mobile catches fire while being charged from one of these onboard charging points, and the mobile's owner blames the bus/train company for their charger causing the fire.

I have witnessed a situation similar to that where a passenger blamed the socket for causing her charger to fail. The guard clearly took this seriously as he taped the socket off "just in case".

Belperpete

Established Member
As will I, though on occasions everyone gets caught out. To me sockets are more useful as mains sockets for the laptop.
When these sockets were first introduced, there were anecdotal stories of power surges damaging whatever was plugged into them. Not heard anything recently about this, until your post.

These days, people travelling with a bag will generally have a charger in that bag, so can use these sockets. However, they are not much use to someone travelling light, as you can't comfortably fit a charger and lead in a pocket.

euk-dar

I'm new to this forum and have to register that I work for a company that makes both inductive and USB chargers. The point to me is democratisation of charging for all passengers, very few seats on older trains have a 13A socket, so that most people can't charge either USB or inductively. With a service life of over 20 years on trains the industry needs to roll out charging and refurbish existing stock with phone chargers for every seat.

Modern charging systems for trains incorporate both Qi inductive charging for those without a cable and a USB socket for those with a cable and typically deliver 1A or 2A so about 5 or 10W when in use and can be fitted either into tables, or on to the seatback for airline style seats, in addition, the actual socket in the device is easily changed by the train operator if it becomes damaged. It's not cheap to fit out a train with these systems, so lobbying to spend the money has to come from passenger groups, forums etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.