• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wires Down At Hest Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class195

Does anyone know how long they'll be down? I've got to be in Lancaster for a very important business meeting at 13:30.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Does anyone know how long they'll be down? I've got to be in Lancaster for a very important business meeting at 13:30.

Can be anytime really, depends on the severity of the damage.
At least a couple of hours I'd say

National rail reporting delays and cancellations up to 16.00 coaches replacing trains between Preston and carlise

Class195

I've been told to catch the 13:44 to Barrow which stops at Lancaster?

This too is now cancelled.

Last edited:

underbank

Established Member
Both lines blocked between Lancaster and Carnforth, so that will stop Lancaster<>Barrow trains too.

Panto ripped off the penolino. Wires still up but one of those triangular brackets (don't know what they're called) has been twisted to 90 degrees, so parallel with the line rather than perpendicular. Looks to be an easy enough tow to get the pendo out of the way. No sign of any blockage/damage to the southbound line so the train stuck at BLS heading south can probably be towed through too. Considering it's been a while since the damage, only one Network Rail bloke there sat in his van, so not much in the way of resources there yet.

Class195

I'm now onboard a replacement coach from Preston for Lancaster.

Avanti staff could improve their communication with regards to the replacement buses.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Meant to be travelling on the 1740 from glasgow all the way through to Birmingham, I’ve seen this is being terminated at Carlisle. Avanti make no mention of replacement buses but they do mention ticket acceptance. Would I be able to use my ticket on a CrossCountry service all the way through to Birmingham?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
NRE has just posted an extension of the disruption until 1900, and ticket acceptance with LNER and XC is in place.
So you should be OK on XC to Birmingham.
Scotrail to Edinburgh is also OK.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The 15:00 also gets me to Birmingham just before my original arrival time anyway, so shouldn’t be a proglem

Class195

Would I be right in thinking that my advance Lancaster to Halifax ticket would be valid via the Bentham on the way back?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Would I be right in thinking that my advance Lancaster to Halifax ticket would be valid via the Bentham on the way back?

Not if it's an advance, unless there is specific ticket acceptance in place.

jawr256

This isn't normally be a permitted route for Lancaster-Halifax, and trains on this route are also suffering cancellations as the issue is between Lancaster and Carnforth.

Class195

This isn't normally be a permitted route for Lancaster-Halifax, and trains on this route are also suffering cancellations as the issue is between Lancaster and Carnforth.

Looks like it's the RRB. Not to worry.

LancasterRed

Emergency train shuttles between Preston and Lancaster - sounds the best bet to get between the two. It's a bad state of affairs when this is still more reliable than the 40/41.

Hopefully everyone's safe now, and that everything can be rectified ASAP.

pnepaul

I was on the 11.09 from Crewe to Edinburgh as we approached Preston the train manager warned us that the wires were down north of Lancaster and to expect delays. I dithered about what to do lol, however I was on a coach to Carlise at c13.15, once it was full we set off straight away. I am now on the 16.16 TPE to Edinburgh.

All in all not as bad as I was expecting in the circumstances!

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I'm now onboard a replacement coach from Preston for Lancaster.

Avanti staff could improve their communication with regards to the replacement buses.
Noting that there have been several previous threads about (emergency) rail replacement buses at Preston would you care to expand on this point?

(I am sure that many rail staff have worked very hard to get arrangements up and running as quickly as possible but customer perspectives are always helpful. Thankfully my days of suddenly having to deal with thousands of delayed customers after a power supply problem are long behind me. It isn't easy.)

MDB1images

Messroom 'lawyers' had it as re-opening at 3am tomorrow at best(the source as anyone who has been in messrooms around such characters cannot be viewed as accurate but now and again they get a prediction correct!).

With units/crews displaced Friday will have some challenges for affected TOCs especially in the morning.

LeylandLen

Obviously many passengers inconvenienced , many Avanti/TPE/Northern people doing there best. A lot of freight uses this part of WCML especially overnight . Including the overnight postal trains between Glasgow/Warrington /London . Not easy to arrange last minute road transport .

LancasterRed

I'm on the emergency shuttle to Preston now. Class 221.

Crowding issues at Lancaster mean it's best to enter on platform 4/5 side and walk to 3.

Avanti are doing a sublime job.

Established Member
Passengers on 0940 Glasgow to Euston were evacuated train to train onto Voyager and taken away on that back north. The Euston bound set still not moved. Think the 0830 Euston to Glasgow was involved in opposite direction also, In area at same time.

Carlisle

Established Member
I'm on the emergency shuttle to Preston now. Class 221.
Whilst I appreciate it’s no magical solution, crew knowledge of the Settle & Carlisle route certainly would’ve helped during today’s disruption

cactustwirly

Established Member
Whilst I appreciate it’s no magical solution, crew knowledge of the Settle & Carlisle route certainly would’ve helped during today’s disruption

I don't see how, Avanti could have only used 221s and there aren't many of them north of Preston.
An RRB is a more effective option

Status
Not open for further replies.