• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wires down at St Neots (28/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Is there a project to do that or is it a piecemeal effort. So with this latest one, will a local replacement instead of a repair take place?
Philip Phlopp is best placed to answer, but I understand it is a project and they are converting headspans to portals at key locations along the ECML.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Neither does the knitting elsewhere on the network. How often do you hear about the WCML or GEML having wiring problems due to the wind? The ECML was wired on the cheap, but they're fixing it.

I wouldn't say the WCML is immune from wind dewirements, especially over the fells.
It is Mk3 OHLE north of Weaver Jn, and while most of it is single cantilevers on twin track, it is headspans on the multiple track sections between Acton Grange and Preston, and around Carlisle and Carstairs-Motherwell.
Maybe the mast spacing was shorter than on the later ECML.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I wouldn't say the WCML is immune from wind dewirements, especially over the fells.
It is Mk3 OHLE north of Weaver Jn, and while most of it is single cantilevers on twin track, it is headspans on the multiple track sections between Acton Grange and Preston, and around Carlisle and Carstairs-Motherwell.
Maybe the mast spacing was shorter than on the later ECML.

Also headspans north of Preston where there are 3 track sections/passing loops - right outside my UK home for example.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Oh, I agree it isn't immune, but it is a rarity as compared to the ECML.

Last time I remember was in the 80s. They came down south of Lancaster and north of Preston. They coped with diesel drags and then the loco would run light engine back to Lancaster. Class 40s, 47s, and 31s galore. Wonderful.

Phil.

Established Member
Yes, it was cheap and could be installed quickly and easily. SR didn't have much spare cash and they made the best of the money that was available to improve their services. That doesn't make it a sensible choice for the rest of the country.

It isn't a good choice for the rest of the country but, as I stated, " for an outer suburban service.....".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The whole reason third rail was installed was because of SR companies being el cheapo! OHLE was installed first on the Crystal Palace route and they got rid in favour of cheap third rail. Wires elsewhere don't get blown down every time it gets windy. Last time I checked windy Scotland, the Alps, other main lines and high speed lines around the world deal with it quite well. No reason why the TOCs couldn't run more ghost trains either, NR isn't exactly rolling around in surplus. Like said above the ECML, GWML and MML was knitted cheap by BR because of financial starvation.

It's not the TOC's responsibilities to look after the running lines. It's the owners (N.R.). That's why TOCs have track charges levied against them.
The old S.R. abandoned overhead wires because the system was too complicated for their use which was a suburban railway.

NSE

Established Member
Yeah but what do you propose for the ECML? In this instance it's an outer suburban service that's bought the wires down. Do you want OHLE on two tracks for Inter City services and two third rail ones for the commuter ones? The three big third rail operators operate over an area of the country where there isn't any InterCity services running long distance over the same tracks (ignoring XC on SWT metals and SWT's Exeter services). The ECML, GEML and the WCML are all AC electrified and have both InterCity and Outer Suburban services sharing the tracks.

najaB

Veteran Member
It isn't a good choice for the rest of the country but, as I stated, " for an outer suburban service.....".
It's not even really a good choice for an outer suburban service, truth be told. Electrical losses are higher, it requires more distribution equipment and it's less safe.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It might be **** but it doesn't get blown down every time that the weather gets windy. For an outer suburban service like most of what was B.R.'s southern region it's ideal. It suffers during ice and snow because el cheapo Network Rail won't pay for ghost trains to be run as in the days of black and white and leaves are a problem on any line with trees near them because the trees are never trimmed back like they used to be. Have a look at pictures of line-sides of fifty plus years ago. You'll see no trees and bushes adjacent to the line. There was a reason why the southern railway stuck to third rail.

Network Rail will happily pay for ice trains overnight. However there aren't enough drivers to drive them. Operators could, of course, cancel a few trains the next day to release enough drivers to operate the ice trains, but apparently it's not that easy.

And the trees are trimmed back - indeed more than they have ever been. However now that steam trains have long since gone, line side fires don't keep the vegetation in check.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's not even really a good choice for an outer suburban service, truth be told. Electrical losses are higher, it requires more distribution equipment and it's less safe.

And it regularly screws up the signalling, and it also makes maintenance work significantly less productive (and thus much more expensive).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When I was growing up I saw railway men deliberately setting fire to railway embankments etc to keep the vegetation in check. Would not happen now of course.

Steam locomotives of course did a good job of that themselves. It's almost certainly an urban myth, but I vagueĺy remember reading about the first heavy maintenance carried out on the Metrolink Bury line where workers turned over soil on the embankments and revealed patches of hot cinders and ashes that had lain dormant for many years since steam services ended on that route.

D1009

Established Member
It might be **** but it doesn't get blown down every time that the weather gets windy. For an outer suburban service like most of what was B.R.'s southern region it's ideal. It suffers during ice and snow because el cheapo Network Rail won't pay for ghost trains to be run as in the days of black and white and leaves are a problem on any line with trees near them because the trees are never trimmed back like they used to be. Have a look at pictures of line-sides of fifty plus years ago. You'll see no trees and bushes adjacent to the line. There was a reason why the southern railway stuck to third rail.
OK, if you think 3rd rail is so wonderful, how come you see so little of it in the rest of the world?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If the SWML from Weymouth-Waterloo was converted to overhead then there'd be no need to worry about what was sent west of Poole. iirc around the Upwey area there's a limit as to what electric trains can be in the area

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
If the SWML from Weymouth-Waterloo was converted to overhead then there'd be no need to worry about what was sent west of Poole. iirc around the Upwey area there's a limit as to what electric trains can be in the area

You couldn't send a Class 455, Class 456 or Class 458 though. That's why conversion isn't an urgent priority.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
You couldn't send a Class 455, Class 456 or Class 458 though. That's why conversion isn't an urgent priority.

None of them 3 classes go along there in service anyway (think Woking might be the furthest west along the SWML that they go)

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
None of them 3 classes go along there in service anyway (think Woking might be the furthest west along the SWML that they go)

Yes, but converting the route to 25kV without removing the 750V DC would be almost impossibly complicated, so until every unit can operate on 25kV, it's not really a viable option.

najaB

Veteran Member
Yes, but converting the route to 25kV without removing the 750V DC would be almost impossibly complicated...
I thought you'd be up for the challenge. Can't be that hard to immunise against DC and AC at the same time - 'earth' is only relative after all. :D

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I thought you'd be up for the challenge. Can't be that hard to immunise against DC and AC at the same time - 'earth' is only relative after all. :D

It's easier if it's done on a relatively simple stretch of track, as few signals as possible, as few sets of points as possible, as little equipment as possible to immunise.

The layouts at Waterloo and Clapham Junction would be a nightmare to immunise reliably for both 25kV AC and 750V DC. It can all be done, but it would be a maintenance and logistical nightmare.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The layouts at Waterloo and Clapham Junction would be a nightmare to immunise reliably for both 25kV AC and 750V DC. It can all be done, but it would be a maintenance and logistical nightmare.

I must admit I did stand at Clapham Junction once and found myself wondering how the hell they were ever, ever going to convert that to 25kV AC. It just seems like it would be neigh on impossible to do without basically shutting down the entire area whilst it's done...

najaB

Veteran Member
Having seen them, I'm in awe of the fact you guys managed to get them working reliably for one traction current supply, never mind two!

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Having seen them, I'm in awe of the fact you guys managed to get them working reliably for one traction current supply, never mind two!

The praise really belongs to the signalling engineers who put it all together, keep it working and fix it all when there are 'leaks'.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I must admit I did stand at Clapham Junction once and found myself wondering how the hell they were ever, ever going to convert that to 25kV AC. It just seems like it would be neigh on impossible to do without basically shutting down the entire area whilst it's done...

As I am sure I have commented - it would need the mother of all blockades - plenty of notice -and tell commuters to take a 2 week holiday. Far bigger than Crewe in 1985 for logistics.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As I am sure I have commented - it would need the mother of all blockades - plenty of notice -and tell commuters to take a 2 week holiday. Far bigger than Crewe in 1985 for logistics.

More like a 2 year holiday...

Philip Phlopp

Established Member

ETCS Level 2 might simplify a part of the operation, but there's not much experience of using it around dual electrified stretches of the network as yet.

If Level 3 can be gotten to work reliably, it could be a bigger help, as it removes track circuits and axle counters from the mix.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member

Would they really have to do it all in one hit, could they not do the "Southern" side separatly from the "SWT" side?

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half

I don't think so.

The biggest items of work will include
  • Bridge reconstructions for clearance and parapet compliance - staged, ad-hoc
  • track lowerings, drainage and track renewal - ROR
  • New main steel - ROR
  • Associated signal moves and immunisation - ad hoc ROR and start now for all new works
  • SPS and wires - ROR
  • Traction distribution - off track
  • Section proving - ROR
  • Bonding - that might have to wait for a biggish BTET but not necessarily full possessions
  • changeover - one weekend

AndrewE

Established Member
Steam locomotives of course did a good job of that themselves. It's almost certainly an urban myth, but I vagueĺy remember reading about the first heavy maintenance carried out on the Metrolink Bury line where workers turned over soil on the embankments and revealed patches of hot cinders and ashes that had lain dormant for many years since steam services ended on that route.

That may well have been spontaneous combustion of coal seams where they outcrop.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ter_District_B__Surface_Coal_Resource_Map.pdf
shows that the Bury line goes straight through surface coal, and more coal will be not far below ground outside that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.