• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wires down at St Neots (28/03)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
What are THEY going to to? Arrest the train? Or issue the wires with a Penalty Notice for Disorder?!

I wasn't saying they would do anything, nor was I making any assumptions or claims of what was happening. I simply said they were there, because they were.

Anyway, that is something I have never thought of, how they would electrify Clapham Junction to AC. I assume in theory that they could do the SWT or SN side separate from each other operationally. But I guess it wouldn't be safe to be playing around with the SWT train side while SN trains continue to merrily use 3rd rail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I wasn't saying they would do anything, nor was I making any assumptions or claims of what was happening. I simply said they were there, because they were.

Anyway, that is something I have never thought of, how they would electrify Clapham Junction to AC. I assume in theory that they could do the SWT or SN side separate from each other operationally. But I guess it wouldn't be safe to be playing around with the SWT train side while SN trains continue to merrily use 3rd rail?

Safe - yes. Reliable - not on your nelly.

It would be little or no worse than the WCML running next to the Watford DC lines, if done properly, which of course it would (will) be.

NSE

Established Member

It would be little or no worse than the WCML running next to the Watford DC lines, if done properly, which of course it would (will) be.

Oh no, I knew it would be safe when done. What I meant was, while in theory working on the SWT lines wouldn't stop the SN trains from running, would it be safe enough for workers to be putting the knitting up when the adjacent line still has full third rail voltage running through?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Oh no, I knew it would be safe when done. What I meant was, while in theory working on the SWT lines wouldn't stop the SN trains from running, would it be safe enough for workers to be putting the knitting up when the adjacent line still has full third rail voltage running through?

I get in trouble enough from fellow posters about getting on topic, but it was wires down at St Neotts that started the whole DC/AC debate once more. I assumed (wrongly) that Clapham Jct would be a nightmare - but good points are made - already happens on the WCML that AC/DC/Underground are all close together. So would need multiple small blockades doing sections at a time. Good to know. :)

QueensCurve

Established Member
As I am sure I have commented - it would need the mother of all blockades - plenty of notice -and tell commuters to take a 2 week holiday. Far bigger than Crewe in 1985 for logistics.

Crewe in 1985 was 7 weeks.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
They conduct a con-current investigation to determine if there are potential charges, using the pantograph to find out if everyone's been telling the truth.

Shocking the current voltage of the puns but as they say, Resistance is Futile:p:lol::D

Philip Phlopp

Established Member

Joseph Locke covered it in detail earlier.

There might (probably would) need to be a little tweaking of safety to cope with any arising issues, but it's all do-able.

Status
Not open for further replies.