• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wirral Tramway

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
Can anyone tell me please what is the current status of this Tramway? I have free time to spend in the Liverpool area on Saturday 16th February and I was wondering if the tranway, and/or the associated transport museum, are likely to be open on that day? I'm struggling to find up to date information online.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8H

Can anyone tell me please what is the current status of this Tramway? I have free time to spend in the Liverpool area on Saturday 16th February and I was wondering if the tranway, and/or the associated transport museum, are likely to be open on that day? I'm struggling to find up to date information online.

Look for Wirral Transport Museum & Heritage Tramway Facebook page. Should run Sat and Sun normally.

brstd4260

I went about 2 years ago and it was a good supplement to doing other things in the area. We did a ride on the Mersey ferry first which on a nice day is also worth a go

Goldie

Renewed my acquaintance with the tramway over the weekend. If you haven't been, the tramway and museum are well worth a visit. Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society have worked wonders, putting together a lovely collection of perfectly restored trams and buses from the North West which look right at home on Birkenhead's streets (with Lisbon 730 bringing a bit of Portuguese exoticism). Woodside Ferry Terminal has a very good food hall in it now, and if the weather's good you can eat and drink on an outdoor terrace overlooking the Liverpool skyline (and u-boat U-534, which lives next door). Throw in the ferry and the Mersey Railway, and you have a very rich transport focussed day out.

49015286227_838e0d6301_b.jpg

49015286007_42eff279e5_b.jpg

49014556113_bc6961318b_b.jpg

Honourable mention too to the Museum of Liverpool's extremely evocative Liverpool Overhead Railway exhibit. It's not obvious from my photos, but you can sit inside car No.3, and the museum sometimes has volunteers to tell visitors about the history of the Railway. Ted, who was handling the talks today, remembered riding on the railway and did a great job of bringing those memories to life:

49015082876_5a3e0fdcaf_b.jpg

49015285592_85287f3676_b.jpg

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but in the background of your first photo is the replica of "Resurgam II", one of the two early Victorian submarines designed and built in Britain by Reverend George Garrett. Resurgam II sank in Liverpool Bay off Rhyl on 25 February 1880 whilst en-route to Portsmouth. It's a great conrast to U-534 next door.

Goldie

Slightly off topic, but in the background of your first photo is the replica of "Resurgam II", one of the two early Victorian submarines designed and built in Britain by Reverend George Garrett. Resurgam II sank in Liverpool Bay off Rhyl on 25 February 1880 whilst en-route to Portsmouth. It's a great conrast to U-534 next door.

We loved the idea that a 19th century curate's workload and commitment to Christian ideals of brotherly love was low enough to allow the design and construction of not one but two death dealing submarines.

We loved the idea that a 19th century curate's workload and commitment to Christian ideals of brotherly love was low enough to allow the design and construction of not one but two death dealing submarines.
Ironic that Resurgam means "I will rise again" but the vessel did not!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Ironic that Resurgam means "I will rise again" but the vessel did not!

That's true; it's location is known (although a closely guarded secret) and there are thoughts that it could be raised, but it's sadly unlikely given it's current condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.