• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

TH172341

Plus considering the 172s already work as 6 car diagrams too

plus with the gangway connecting the 196s together it will be even more beneficial having 2x2 diagrams

Exactly, will offer flexibility. Just hope that CAF are going to learn lessons from the TPE and Northern 'issues'...considering the 195s cannot even manage a simple task like PIS operation it is a bit concerning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RealTrains07

Established Member
Exactly, will offer flexibility. Just hope that CAF are going to learn lessons from the TPE and Northern 'issues'...considering the 195s cannot even manage a simple task like PIS operation it is a bit concerning.
Doesnt look like ordering mass amounts of new trains has been a good idea after all :lol: (for some more than others)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The reasoning for having two car units is to enable 6 car formations to run for peaks. Not sure on platform lengths on the Shrewsbury line in particular but Hereford line should not be an issue considering GWR's IETs running that way and where ASDO will come into play. Certainly if they get utilised on Snow Hill line diagrams which I expect they will do, it will be handy.
They would also be able to form 6-car trains if they had 3-car units. A mix of 4-car and 3-car units would give flexibility to run trains that are 3/4/6/7/8 coaches long. The planned mix of 2-car and 4-car units however only gives the options of 2/4/6/8 coach formations. Thus, unless they plan to use 2-car units somewhere (at the expense of being able to run 3-car/7-car formations) why have they opted for 2-car units rather than 3-car?

Energy

Established Member
They would also be able to form 6-car trains if they had 3-car units. A mix of 4-car and 3-car units would give flexibility to run trains that are 3/4/6/7/8 coaches long. The planned mix of 2-car and 4-car units however only gives the options of 2/4/6/8 coach formations. Thus, unless they plan to use 2-car units somewhere (at the expense of being able to run 3-car/7-car formations) why have they opted for 2-car units rather than 3-car?
They already have 3 car 172s, I believe they should be able to run with 196s but I'm not sure.

TH172341

Across nearly all of the diesel WMR network there is no provision in terms of platform length for 7 or 8 car workings. A handful of the Snow Hill line stations can take 8 car, those being where Chiltern serve them who run 8 car formations in the morning peaks in particular or with the loco hauled sets of 6 carriages + loco/DVT.

Therefore with 3 car sets you would not be gaining much in terms of cost or flexibility as 7/8 car working is not possible and you would be having less 4 cars in order to fund the higher proportion of 3 cars. At least the ordered arrangement will mean a mix of 2, 4 or 6 car and tailor it for the peaks and troughs of demand in the day.

Compatibility with the 172s would be useful, but that would suggest CAF have managed to get the software compatible with the Bombardier systems?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
They already have 3 car 172s, I believe they should be able to run with 196s but I'm not sure.
Unless it was specified in the design specifications, I don't believe that 172s and 196s will be able to work together. 172s have couplers that allow them to work with 170s and sprinters, whilst I believe CAF's product has Dellner couplers so they wouldn't even be mechanically compatible, before we address the issue of electrical/software compatability.

anamyd

On Moderation
Unless it was specified in the design specifications, I don't believe that 172s and 196s will be able to work together. 172s have couplers that allow them to work with 170s and sprinters, whilst I believe CAF's product has Dellner couplers so they wouldn't even be mechanically compatible, before we address the issue of electrical/software compatability.
Yes, 172s have BSI couplers, so it's a no-go situation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. And this proves the point. Although to be fair, it is a nice pic, it's just the subject matter that's an eyesore - to my sensitive eyes anyway.

The livery is nasty beyond belief (why they didn't use the original silver with orange doors I have no idea, that looked really good) but the unit itself just looks like a slightly different Class 172? The different window layout will at least allow for alignment, though I think the windows are actually vertically smaller too?

At least they have gangways. Omitting these was a huge error from Northern.

Mind you, that weird-shaped window on the side of the cab...why not square?!

RealTrains07

Established Member
The livery is nasty beyond belief (why they didn't use the original silver with orange doors I have no idea, that looked really good) but the unit itself just looks like a slightly different Class 172? The different window layout will at least allow for alignment, though I think the windows are actually vertically smaller too?

At least they have gangways. Omitting these was a huge error from Northern.

Mind you, that weird-shaped window on the side of the cab...why not square?!
The livery i think is far better than LNR. Its just unfortunate that they have given the 196s brighter shade of orange and a darker shade of purple. Doesn’t match the 172s at all

Meerkat

Established Member
That’s a horrific colour scheme!
Those lights need eyebrows and the coupler painted like a mouth....

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Here's what you could have won:

hqdefault.jpg

Class 172 in the originally proposed WMR livery

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
Too much like TfL and politicians wanting a more distinctive Brummie look?

superalbs

Established Member
It looks bald, it needs a bit of highlighting I think.

Here's an edit I made to demonstrate what I mean:
upload_2020-1-21_23-40-1.png

In summary, I've made the roof at the front black, changed the gangway to orange, and added highlights on some of the bodywork.

Last edited:

anamyd

On Moderation
...the unit itself just looks like a slightly different Class 172?
especially as it has the gangway connections. There are even mechanical similarities, with the 172 and 196 both having the same base 13L MTU 6H engines (the difference is in power rating and emissions equipment) and similar 6-speed ZF gearboxes.

xc170

Its just unfortunate that they have given the 196s brighter shade of orange and a darker shade of purple. Doesn’t match the 172s at all

I'm not sure they have changed the colour shade, I think whoever processed the photo has been a bit heavy handed with the saturation slider...

Spartacus

Established Member
Who'd have thought anyone would want to put a Bradford City shirt on a train! :lol:

mightyena

To me it looks a bit like an Aventra and a 380 had a baby...

As for how I feel about it? Meh. It's not great, but it could have been a lot worse! That said I quite like the more angular 195 design, and the orange/purple colour scheme doesn't really do it any favours.

Chris125

Established Member
Class 172 in the originally proposed WMR livery

IMHO the original livery was way too busy and the purple cab front was ghastly - much prefer the current livery, even if the colour combination wouldn't be my first choice...

507 001

Established Member
Personally, I think the livery is stunning and I was one of the people that baulked when they unveiled the orange and purple colour scheme.