• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

city dweller

Midlands Today are reporting that West Midlands Trains has said the first of its 80 new diesel carriages will enter service in August.

city dweller

The BBC didn't say, this is from another source.

The DMUs are expected to enter passenger service from the second half of 2020, and will be used to increase capacity on the franchisee’s West Midlands Railway branded services between Hereford and Birmingham

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A 196 looks to have been transported through Braunschweig (Brunswick) during the night along with a few Siemens Vectrons.

Domh245

Established Member
I'm guessing that's the unit that was in Velim for testing? I think most (all?) production units were being assembled at Newport, not to mention the lockdown in spain for the last few weeks so it's unlikely to be from one of the spanish factories?

Spirit555

That picture is taken on the Docks somewhere in Germany I believe. I also believe that Alleys are delivering it to the UK.

HTH

Mark

Energy

Established Member
That picture is taken on the Docks somewhere in Germany I believe. I also believe that Alleys are delivering it to the UK.

HTH

Mark
Looking at the container crane, it looks to be Cuxhaven, Germany.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
It's probably been said but for anyone interested in the seating layout, it's available on the CAF website - not long ago this afternoon I was looking up details of TfW's Class 197's but found proper interior shots of the 196's.

I take it MTU engines will be the diesel engines in the 196's?

I like the idea of table seats at the cab ends of the carriages - if you look at the seating layout, it should remind you of the Quiet Coaches on XC HST's a bit. It reminds me of it.

Does anyone know if some sort of low-emission equipment (or SCR) is being installed in the 196's?

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
I wondered if the 170/6 solo, 170/6+153 or 170/5+153 diagrams and some of the 170/5 x2 or 170/5+153 x2 diagrams will be directly replaced by 196/1s and especially the 170/5+170/6 diagram which is a 5-coach Birmingham-Hereford Diagram will be upgraded to 6-coaches once Class 196 started service.....
Also I think SHL will also receive extra capacity once 196s started service.....

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
I take it MTU engines will be the diesel engines in the 196's?

Correct, same lump as the 195s going by this article. https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/new-british-fleets-undergo-testing-in-velim/

Each car is fitted with a 390kW Rolls-Royce MTU 6H 1800 R85L

Does anyone know if some sort of low-emission equipment (or SCR) is being installed in the 196's?

Some form of De-Nox has to be to meet latest requirements (as well as a particulate filter). The press release put out by RR for the Cl.195 contract says that SCR is used there, so would logically also be used for these. I don't think the other type of de-nox treatment (Lean NOx trap) has been used on the railway, and everyone has settled on SCR as a de-facto standard.

The MTU PowerPacks for CAF will deliver 390 kW of power output. A built-in SCR unit will reduce the amount of nitrogen oxide produced, thereby meeting the strict requirements of the EU Stage IIIB emissions directive.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Correct, same lump as the 195s going by this article. https://www.railjournal.com/fleet/new-british-fleets-undergo-testing-in-velim/

Some form of De-Nox has to be to meet latest requirements (as well as a particulate filter). The press release put out by RR for the Cl.195 contract says that SCR is used there, so would logically also be used for these. I don't think the other type of de-nox treatment (Lean NOx trap) has been used on the railway, and everyone has settled on SCR as a de-facto standard.
Yep :) - didn't think to check although I did have 'class 196 diesel engines' in my google search history.

SCR is rather useful, especially to trains that will use Birmingham New Street every day!

Domh245

Established Member
SCR is rather useful, especially to trains that will use Birmingham New Street every day!

Indeed - it'll reduce the amount of NOx in the air, although the improvement from going from 170s to 196s is barely a drop in the ocean against the voyagers!

Energy

Established Member
It's probably been said but for anyone interested in the seating layout, it's available on the CAF website - not long ago this afternoon I was looking up details of TfW's Class 197's but found proper interior shots of the 196's.
Here
1588181933302.png
1588181945797.png

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Other than the lack of armrests it looks good. Definitely a kick in the proverbials to Northern for can't ("can't be bothered paying to") align seats to windows - that looks 100% to me?

Energy

Established Member
Other than the lack of armrests it looks good. Definitely a kick in the proverbials to Northern for can't ("can't be bothered paying to") align seats to windows - that looks 100% to me?
They look good, suprising lack of armrests considering it looks like a narrow armrest could fit.