• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Energy

Established Member
Does anyone have a source for the fact that end-doors on FLIRTs are not possible? Surely it's just a case of nobody as specced them yet because GA and Wales didn't need them? T

There's little point when there's little expectation for multiple working - for example, the 12 car 745s are never going to be in multiple because you couldn't accommodate a 24 car train on the network, and in many cases the 755s are more than doubling capacity as singles anyway.
I believe there is no FLIRT in existence with end doors, could always be an option but looking at their cab it may be a little hard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
It’s not the cab that would be the issue - it would remove one of the unique selling points of the FLIRT platform, the ability to have level access boarding.

Energy

Established Member
It’s not the cab that would be the issue - it would remove one of the unique selling points of the FLIRT platform, the ability to have level access boarding.
How would end gangways require the removal of level boarding?

Pumbaa

Established Member
Ah apologies misread that. End gangways are definitely possible for the UK platform and has been offered during franchise competitions previously. Just never come to pass.

Clansman

Established Member
Flirts have low floors to match platform heights, which means the boggies protrude into the passenger saloon - hence them being the only UK rolling stock fleet with different seating levels. Having end doors in this regard wouldn't be possible as youd hit the boggies, unless, as said, you remove the low floor profile at the expense of the level access to existing platforms.

Energy

Established Member
Flirts have low floors to match platform heights, which means the boggies protrude into the passenger saloon - hence them being the only UK rolling stock fleet with different seating levels. Having end doors in this regard wouldn't be possible as youd hit the boggies, unless, as said, you remove the low floor profile at the expense of the level access to existing platforms.
Seems people are a little confused by end doors I meant end gangways not the style of doors on intercity stock.
Ah apologies misread that. End gangways are definitely possible for the UK platform and has been offered during franchise competitions previously. Just never come to pass.
Interesting, is it mentioned anywhere publicly accessible?

Pumbaa

Established Member
Seems people are a little confused by end doors I meant end gangways not the style of doors on intercity stock.

Interesting, is it mentioned anywhere publicly accessible?
Probably not.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anyone have a source for the fact that end-doors on FLIRTs are not possible? Surely it's just a case of nobody as specced them yet because GA and Wales didn't need them?

There aren't any FLIRTs with end doors, the reason being that the whole point of the FLIRT (spectacularly missed by PKP, to be fair) is that it's low-floor, and for that to be useful you need the doors between the bogies.

What GA have ordered, with a single large set of doors in or near the middle, is basically the equivalent. Remember it's all "walk through", it's more like one big long snake than a set of coaches.

Or the PKP layout:
376b2d477617ac09ccab9848f22446fc.png

PKP FLIRT

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Ohhh...I suspect it's just that nobody's ordered it yet. Mainland Europe by and large doesn't do gangways on MUs, and GA have ordered units with the intention that they mostly won't be paired up so you might as well have the benefits of the wider cab.

That said, I don't know if the long overhang from the bogies would be an issue in causing too much movement between vehicles?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Ohhh...I suspect it's just that nobody's ordered it yet. Mainland Europe by and large doesn't do gangways on MUs,

Yes. Do end gangways actually improve passenger flow that much? By and large end gangwayed units these days have doors between units which, from the passenger saloon, look like somewhere you aren't meant to go. I doubt many people would go through there, and you presumably might as well have the benefits of a more spacious cab for the driver even if the units are mostly in multiple?

I know that, for example, the Berlin S-bahn runs seemingly the majority of trains in multiple, with no gangways, despite it being a high-density commuter service. So is there actually a major benefit to having end gangways?

Clansman

Established Member
Out of curiosity, is the articulated and low floor design of the floor able to accomodate coaches longer than the ~20m Stadler construct them as - or rather, articulated stock in general? In which case, you'd be able to have a low floor and end doors, albeit not over the boggies.

/off topic

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Out of curiosity, is the articulated and low floor design of the floor able to accomodate coaches longer than the ~20m Stadler construct them as - or rather, articulated stock in general? In which case, you'd be able to have a low floor and end doors, albeit not over the boggies.

I'd start a new thread but this post should end it :)

Articulation requires the bogies to be at the ends (think about it). Therefore, end doors in their traditional sense are not possible.

Stadler can build any length you like (within reason) but the overhang in the middle will clout platforms after a certain point.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Thank you; apologies if I'm being dim - where's the seating plan on there please?

Not being dim at all don't worry :). There's no online seating layout but you can see about seven different shots - at the bottom right corner of the 196, there's dots and arrows which give you access to the inside of the new train basically.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

centraltrains

Is this of any use?

he first complete CAF Class 196 has arrived in the UK for testing and commissioning at Tyseley.

Four-car diesel multiple unit 196101 was built by CAF in its Beasain factory in northern Spain. It had been tested at the Velim test track in the Czech Republic before being moved to the UK.

The Class 196s were ordered by West Midlands Trains to boost capacity on various routes. Twelve two-car (196001-196012) and 14 four-car (196101-196114) sets are on order, with 20 of the 80 vehicles to be built in Spain and the rest assembled at CAF’s Newport factory (RAIL 900). They are from the same CIVITY platform as the Northern Class 195s and Transport for Wales Class 197 DMUs.

A second four-car Class 196 (196102) has also been tested at Velim, while the first two-car set (196001) is complete at Beasain. A third four-car set (196103) has been built in Spain, while 196104 is due to be the first to leave Newport.

• For the FULL story, read RAIL 905, published on May 20, and available digitally now.
  • For an in-depth EXCLUSIVE 16-page special on CAF's business in the UK, read RAIL 900, available digitally.

(Googled after seeing it on the front cover of a marketing email for Modern Railways)

TH172341

Noticed whilst driving past Tyseley depot (whilst on a couple of essential journeys!) that 196101 seems to have a yellow end gangway door on it as opposed to black. Impressed that there is a mock carriage for training use too.

atsf_fT

Well the 196 has been at Tysley for 2 months know and still no sign of it going out on test ?
I remember the testing of 172s in the early days
I saw them all out testing ' hope to see these beatys testing too 'might be some time though!

20200702_130732.jpgw20200702_125926.jpg20200702_125919.jpg20200702_125521.jpg20200702_130027.jpg20200702_125956.jpg

Spirit555

I did hear a rumour that it did break cover and did a test run to Shrewsbury last month. However I have not seen anything to back that up. Could be duff gen.

Mark

rebmcr

Established Member
I wonder if covid is making testing impractial?
I've heard some TOCs are suspending driver training too.

There's a ban on 2+ people in a cab, so no TOC is able to do training that involves it. While there are other aspects that can be covered, there's not much point if they would lapse before the rest can be completed.

atsf_fT

I guess covid may have some part in the non testing ' but WM metro have been training drivers on there route daily for over a month so no problem with drivers and instructors in the cab so not problem working rules wise.
And while takeing these photos of the 196 a got talking to 2 workers at the depot who said the 196 arrived two months ago !
And no testing has started has there seems too be a bit of a differnce of opinion between CAF and WMT about how testing should be done.
Odd it's been here for 2 months and it's not made a few runs out Stratford or whitlocks end like the 172s did.

WYSH

Still think these look so much better than what Northern went with!

the sniper

Established Member
I guess covid may have some part in the non testing ' but WM metro have been training drivers on there route daily for over a month so no problem with drivers and instructors in the cab so not problem working rules wise.

Are you sure? All their Trainees are still off, at least. Any training being done would only be that deemed essential.

FLIRTfan18

Well the 196 has been at Tysley for 2 months know and still no sign of it going out on test ?
I remember the testing of 172s in the early days
I saw them all out testing ' hope to see these beatys testing too 'might be some time though!

View attachment 80258wView attachment 80262View attachment 80263View attachment 80264View attachment 80259View attachment 80260
I'm not sure whether this has already been brought up (apologies if it has) but that strikes me as a quite different purple to the one found on the 172s. This seems to have more burgundy/maroon to it, and as a result it clashes with the orange more and isn't as pleasing on the eye.

the sniper

Established Member
I'm not sure whether this has already been brought up (apologies if it has) but that strikes me as a quite different purple to the one found on the 172s. This seems to have more burgundy/maroon to it, and as a result it clashes with the orange more and isn't as pleasing on the eye.

The orange is different too... Well, 172s are gold rather than orange.

fgwrich

Established Member
Agree that the orange taking over from the gold is a little odd, but the Purple looks pretty similar to me. It may be a case that the 172s may be vinyl, while the 196s are painted?