• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 730 interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theccone

Hello,
Sorry if there is a topic already. I have a question regarding the interior design of the trains. Since they will work on the cross city line why they have tables since they are more like city trains/overground. Shouldn’t the seats be as the ones on the cross rail in London, mixed doible and tube style seats? I would personally prefer the mixed seating because it gives extra space for more people to board the train in peak times as well as it gives the train more fresh looks in my opinion. Also is there plan to restore the 10mins interval on the cross city line because it is frustrating if you miss a train and wait 20 mins, since they are every 10-20-10-20 minutes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
I believe they are getting 2+2 Kiel seats (like the class 720s but not 3+2).

city dweller

Hello,
Sorry if there is a topic already. I have a question regarding the interior design of the trains. Since they will work on the cross city line why they have tables since they are more like city trains/overground. Shouldn’t the seats be as the ones on the cross rail in London, mixed doible and tube style seats? I would personally prefer the mixed seating because it gives extra space for more people to board the train in peak times as well as it gives the train more fresh looks in my opinion. Also is there plan to restore the 10mins interval on the cross city line because it is frustrating if you miss a train and wait 20 mins, since they are every 10-20-10-20 minutes.

This video should help

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think for these it's a Class 700 like layout, with narrow 2+2 seating without armrests to allow for a wide aisle, isn't it? Not sure why tables to be honest.

Tell you what, the DMU racket on that video is loud! :)

Liam L

Hello,
My local line is the cross city, I don't think there plans to extend the service back up to 10mins intervals, I guess it's to allow all the services to be doubled up to 6 carriages for social distancing etc

Halish Railway

Established Member
My local line is the cross city, I don't think there plans to extend the service back up to 10mins intervals, I guess it's to allow all the services to be doubled up to 6 carriages for social distancing etc
Although really going from 6tph to 4tph is more to do with a shortage of drivers due to reasons that have been extensively covered elsewhere. Social Distancing creates a good smokescreen.

The Fox 4846

I would hope that there is a recast in order for the trains to be every 15 mins as atm there is a 21/9 min interval at present. I would also hope to see a realistic snow hill lines timetable for December such as 2tph to Dorridge, 2tph to Whitlocks End and at minimum 3tph to Stourbridge if it cannot be made back to the original timetable

Mordac

Established Member
Hello,
The way we Cross City Line passengers have been treated by WMT and WMCA is appalling. We were told the reduction to 4tph was a Covid measure, so it was pushed without any consultation whatsoever, only for them to come back and say there are no plans to reintroduce the service as it was. As you very correctly say, there's also no plans to regig the timetable so the trains are at an even interval. And before the usual suspects come here and tell me this can't be done easily, I'm aware of that. I know it's not an easy task, but what gets me is that there are no plans to do so, not that it hasn't happened yet.

I certainly don't take the train as often as I used to, because the turn up and go frequency is gone.

12guard4

Until the 730s come in the there aren't the units available to run a 6tph city service and have all units 6 cars.

At 4tph the service is much more reliable there is a lot less pressure on the network though new street and the totally shambolic backlog of trainees mean there is less demand on crew as well.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The way we Cross City Line passengers have been treated by WMT and WMCA is appalling. We were told the reduction to 4tph was a Covid measure, so it was pushed without any consultation whatsoever, only for them to come back and say there are no plans to reintroduce the service as it was. As you very correctly say, there's also no plans to regig the timetable so the trains are at an even interval. And before the usual suspects come here and tell me this can't be done easily, I'm aware of that. I know it's not an easy task, but what gets me is that there are no plans to do so, not that it hasn't happened yet.

I certainly don't take the train as often as I used to, because the turn up and go frequency is gone.

Everyone who's ever used Merseyrail* says this is hyperbole.

I'd rather a punctual 4tph than a messy 6tph. Neither is truly "turn up and go" - you could be standing around for 9 minutes - so I'd certainly know the timetable and time my departure to walk onto the platform as one was arriving, same as I always did when using Merseyrail, or even the 6tph (12tph peak) Hamburg U-Bahn.

* Nothing like hitting hyperbole with hyperbole :)

RealTrains07

Established Member
Until the 730s come in the there aren't the units available to run a 6tph city service and have all units 6 cars.

At 4tph the service is much more reliable there is a lot less pressure on the network though new street and the totally shambolic backlog of trainees mean there is less demand on crew as well.
Which is surprising considering the number of 323s in the fleet.

The way we Cross City Line passengers have been treated by WMT and WMCA is appalling. We were told the reduction to 4tph was a Covid measure.
At least your WMT service didnt go from 1tph to 0tph for part of lockdown last year and we arent getting the 730s on our route.

The rate we’re going the only thing passengers will be thankful for about the 730s will be the far better interior

12guard4

So what? I'd rather 6tph with some three cars.
But that isn't profitable during off peak hours. Even when the 730s are in service it isn't planned go be a 6tph service. It just isn't needed outside of peak time.

I'm not sure where the rest of the 730s will be utilised. I wouldn't be surprised to see them covering all of the Midlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.