• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR restores some services between Leamington Spa - Coventry - Nuneaton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova1

West Midlands Railway restores additional services between Nuneaton and Leamington Spa | West Midlands Trains (wmtrains.co.uk)

Additional train services will be restored between Nuneaton and Leamington Spa later this month, West Midlands Railway (WMR) has confirmed today.

A reduced timetable, of one train every two hours, has been running between the Warwickshire towns due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on WMR’s traincrew.

From Monday 27 September the number of trains running on the route will increase by more than 40% every weekday, with even more services restored on Saturdays.

Jonny Wiseman, WMR customer experience director, said:

“I would like to thank our customers on the Leamington to Nuneaton route for their patience and understanding while we have been forced to operate a reduced service.

“With more than 25,000 driver training days lost due to the pandemic it has not been possible to run the full timetable but I am pleased we are now able to bring in more peak trains.

“We are working hard to catch up our training programmes and remain committed to restoring the full hourly service on this route as soon as possible.”

Cllr Izzi Seccombe, leader of Warwickshire County Council, said:

“This is wonderful news and shows that, as a county, we are coming back from the effects of the pandemic. The resumption of train services is key to our ambitions as a county council that we provide an infrastructure that gives access to training and employment, that we create and sustain a vibrant economy and that we do so in a sustainable way that protects our environment.

"That is why I am so delighted. More people can now move around the county, stimulating local economies and they can do so without adding to the congestion on our roads. This is a very significant step both in our recovery and in our future ambitions for all of Warwickshire."

Jeremy Wright, MP for Kenilworth and Southam, said:

“I welcome this progress towards a resumption of the pre-Covid service through Kenilworth station, following extensive discussions with West Midlands Railway.

“I look forward to a full resumption of that service and improvements to it, so Kenilworth can reach its full potential to take my constituents reliably where they want to go and bring more visitors to the town.”

The new timetables will be available to view at www.wmr.uk/timetable in coming days.

Disappointingly this isn't a full return of the full pre-covid timetable, with a note at the bottom of:

• Under the revised timetable, an extra eight services will run between Nuneaton and Leamington Spa each weekday from Monday 27 September – an increase of 44% against the current timetable. An extra 10 services will run on Saturdays, representing a 59% increase. Rail replacement buses will continue to supplement the train service.

I think at this point they might have hurt themselves too much, especially between Leamington and Kenilworth where most people I know prefer to use the bus (which has been cheaper and more reliable)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
With the greatest of respect to the people of Kenilworth, the line is more important when it appears as a Birmingham avoider on journey planners imo.

barbette165

Mr Veg is referring to the use of the whole length of the line from Leamington to Nuneaton.
Checking a Banbury to Leicester trip for tomorrow lunchtime, you can arrive at Leicester at 14:10 by departing Banbury at 12:07 and changing once in Birmingham, or you can leave 21 minutes later at 12:28 and change in Leamington and Nuneaton.

Status
Not open for further replies.