• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT class 172/2 & 172/3 routes/diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigchris

Good morning all,
Just wondered if anybody could provide info on what routes the WMT 172/2 & 172/3 units work, and if any unit can cover any route or do they stick to specific routes within sub-classes? I'm not bothered about individual diagrams or timings, just the routes covered. I'm planning a trip over to West Mids in a few weeks and would like to try and clear as many as possible, the only route not through Snow Hill that I'm already aware of is the Nuneaton-Leamington shuttle (which was a 172/0 every time I've seen it previously) so unless anybody tells me otherwise my plan would just be to sit at Snow Hill for a couple of hours at peak time.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks, Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST274

You are right in that they mainly cover the snow hill lines. However a few operate on the Hereford-Birmingham line occasionally, perhaps only in peak. There was certainly one operating yesterday on A New Street to Hereford service (172334). But otherwise your best bet is Snow hill unless someone more of an expert can contribute. Also a few terminate a Moor Street I believe so maybe not all will come through Snow Hil.
-Robert

Bigchris

That's spot on, thanks very much for the info. You know what, I meant Moor St, no idea why I said Snow Hill in my original post!
Thanks, Chris

Sprinter107

Any WMT 172 at Moor Street, you should also see at Snow Hill. I dont know of any running in from the south only going as far as Moor Street. Also from the new timetable, most of the Hereford trains are also 172s. Only one all day 170 diagram remains on that line, except for a peak hour 170 + 172 diagram. Hope this helps.

Bigchris

Hi Sprinter,
Thanks very much, yes that helps massively, although rather frustrating as I was hoping to get away with just Moor St and not have to spend any time at New St (or down route). Looking on RTT the only WMT working in the morning peak that terminates/starts at Moor St is the 07:25 to Whitlocks End but that unit would repeat later anyway. If I've worked it out right then morning peak 07:27-09:18 should cover all units out working on the Moor St.

For the Hereford route, if RTT is to be believed and units work the next service back to New St after arriving at Hereford (ie, no spare units on the route), you could cover all 4 workings in 2:19 at New St:
15:50 dep
16:50 dep
17:20 dep
18:09 arr
That's quite a long time to be at New St for a few units lol

Thanks for all the info anyway,
Chris

Last edited:

Sprinter107

Hi Sprinter,
Thanks very much, yes that helps massively, although rather frustrating as I was hoping to get away with just Moor St and not have to spend any time at New St (or down route). Looking on RTT the only WMT working in the morning peak that terminates/starts at Moor St is the 07:25 to Whitlocks End but that unit would repeat later anyway. If I've worked it out right then morning peak 07:27-09:18 should cover all units out working on the Moor St.

For the Hereford route, if RTT is to be believed and units work the next service back to New St after arriving at Hereford (ie, no spare units on the route), you could cover all 4 workings in 2:19 at New St:

Chris
The 1650 will be a pair of 170s.

From Sunday there will be regular diagramed 172/1's on Herefords another 172 type if they are unavailable. Snowhill will be all classes of 172 albeit /1's allegedly will try to be put onto Herefords. Kidderminster- Stratford should only be /2 & /3's but /0 and /1 may deputise.

Nuneaton to Leamington weekdays and Saturdays are /0's (not sure if /1's will appear) and Sundays I believe they have had /2's to keep traction knowledge up on that variant (different cab layout for gangwayed).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The questions on my mind are:

Have you already had some of the 172s? Are you after them just for sighting or to travel on?

I must confess to not realising it's going over to almost all 172s on my local line from next week, in a way it'll be strange not to get a 170 on the Hereford services. In another way it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for me to get all the 172s out of Hereford. I've had them all already, this is just out of curiosity.

Back to your visit to the Midlands, you'll certainly get a lot of 172s for sight in that time at Moor Street. For the 172s on Hereford services, the 0950 from New Street to Hereford would be back in Birmingham around 1310, and should then do the 1350 back to Hereford. So by my reckoning that's whatever is on that, the 1050, 1150 and 1250 to view.

Obviously there's plenty of other stuff to see in Birmingham, but if you only want the 172s you could use the time between Hereford services to have an explore of the city, maybe even have a ride on the trams, something like that. Just sitting around at New Street for hours would drive most people crazy, I sure couldn't do it!

Based solely on current workings, the 1920 Worcester Foregate Street to Stratford-upon-Avon is normally a pair of 172/0s. Whether that continues or not remains to be seen, certainly would be an interesting journey!

Hi Sprinter,

Chris

Let's hope the 07:25 does not get routed into plats 3 & 4 as A) WMT drivers don't sign those platforms. B) /0 /2 and /3's are not route cleared into them as per sectional appendix.

Last edited:

Bigchris

Thanks for all the info guys. I units I want are for sighting only, I certainly don't have the time to be going for haulage, just seeing stuff these days takes me long enough lol.

I don't need any if the 172/0s or /1s so just the /2s & /3s are of interest. Actually I do want some of the recent 170/5s & /6s that have been renumbered, that never occured to me, so that could be a bonus at New St.

I certainly won't be spending all day there, I'll probably do Moor St in the morning peak, quick trip out to Tyesley and back, a few hours in the day at Walsall for some of the freight workings I wouldn't normally get to see, back to New St for evening peak, then back up to Stafford in the evening (assuming I base myself there).

Blimey, that almost sounds like a plan!

newtownmgr

17:21 ex New St should be 2 x172/1
17:50 should be a 170/5 & 172/0 or /1.
As regards the renumbered 170’s i think most are already with EMR

Bigchris

Ah right, that's handy to know thanks, especially as it looks like there's only 3 renumbered WMT units of interest (533/4/5).
Cheers, Chris

HST274

170/5s & /6s that have been renumbered
If that includes the XC 170s that have been renumbered 170619 (used to be 170519) is on the 1549 New Street to Nottingham. I don't know when they were renumbered though so sorry if that was not recent.
-Robert

Edit: and 170623 (170523 originally) is on the 1749 New Street to Nottingham if you stay that long.

Bigchris

Ok thanks, was going off info from another site with those 3. Probably looking at beginning of June for my trip over, a couple of days West Midlands then just working out what to do the rest of the week.

warwickshire

On Moderation
From Sunday there will be regular diagramed 172/1's on Herefords another 172 type if they are unavailable. Snowhill will be all classes of 172 albeit /1's allegedly will try to be put onto Herefords. Kidderminster- Stratford should only be /2 & /3's but /0 and /1 may deputise.

Nuneaton to Leamington weekdays and Saturdays are /0's (not sure if /1's will appear) and Sundays I believe they have had /2's to keep traction knowledge up on that variant (different cab layout for gangwayed).
Yes for the lnwr Coventry crewe.
Leamington sign them anyway.
However Sundays at the momment shuttles are as far as Coventry only from leamington Spa

D.K.TAYLOR

Thanks for all the info guys. I units I want are for sighting only, I certainly don't have the time to be going for haulage, just seeing stuff these days takes me long enough lol.

I don't need any if the 172/0s or /1s so just the /2s & /3s are of interest. Actually I do want some of the recent 170/5s & /6s that have been renumbered, that never occured to me, so that could be a bonus at New St.

I certainly won't be spending all day there, I'll probably do Moor St in the morning peak, quick trip out to Tyesley and back, a few hours in the day at Walsall for some of the freight workings I wouldn't normally get to see, back to New St for evening peak, then back up to Stafford in the evening (assuming I base myself there).

Blimey, that almost sounds like a plan!
Hello if i may say Smethwick Galton Bridge platform 2 you will see all the Dorridge Stratford Worcester Stations also Kidderminster turns.
Also at 47 mins past the hour to Birmingham and 05 past the hour heading to Shrewsbury at platforms 3 and 4 you will see the 170s on the Shrewsbury turns.
Added bonus of the 350S on the Crewe Liverpool Wolverhampton Walsall turns and Tfw units on the International turns

Bigchris

Thanks for the idea, I'd not thought of that to be fair. If I've worked it out correctly there are 2 earlier timed WMT services into Moor St that don't go as far as Smethwick, however with some tweaking of the times you can get those 2 units on later workings, 08:15 at Galton Bridge for the first, and 09:45 (or 09:33 at Moor St) for the second. Think I might go for that option, if everything is on time the 08:55 off Galton Bridge to Tyesley would put me back to Moor St on the 2nd of the 2 missing units.

D.K.TAYLOR

Thanks for the idea, I'd not thought of that to be fair. If I've worked it out correctly there are 2 earlier timed WMT services into Moor St that don't go as far as Smethwick, however with some tweaking of the times you can get those 2 units on later workings, 08:15 at Galton Bridge for the first, and 09:45 (or 09:33 at Moor St) for the second. Think I might go for that option, if everything is on time the 08:55 off Galton Bridge to Tyesley would put me back to Moor St on the 2nd of the 2 missing units.
If your interested in the 172/0s the 09-30 Dorridge Stourbridge Junction and the 10-27 Stourbridge Junction to Stratford is a 172/3 + 172/0 also the 05/40 Dorridge Worcester Shrub Hill 10-34 Worcester Shrub Hill Dorridge 12-09 Dorridge Kidderminster is a pair of 172/0 also the Moor St Leamington on a 2 hour cycle is a 165 turbo

newtownmgr

If your interested in the 172/0s the 09-30 Dorridge Stourbridge Junction and the 10-27 Stourbridge Junction to Stratford is a 172/3 + 172/0 also the 05/40 Dorridge Worcester Shrub Hill 10-34 Worcester Shrub Hill Dorridge 12-09 Dorridge Kidderminster is a pair of 172/0 also the Moor St Leamington on a 2 hour cycle is a 165 turbo
They no longer run. New timetable from today.

D.K.TAYLOR

They no longer run. New timetable from today.
The 09-40 Whitlocks End - Worcester Forgate Street today formed of 172004 on it's own did not see the 10.34 Worcester Shrub Hill -Dorridge was a pair of 172/0s before the change cancelled today

Status
Not open for further replies.