• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

S-Car-Go

I would declare any medication recently taken that you think will affect the result. A driver should declare any medication taken to his/her manager prior to working a shift. Also a driver can be randomly screened, but as long as you have declared what medication has been taken beforehand, it's ok.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dan61

Still waiting for medical date to be given for potential start of 5yh July

GJ_DAN

Still waiting for medical date to be given for potential start of 5yh July
It'll come don't worry. Had my confirmation email today to start 7th June. Having to fill out some more documents online. Starting to feel real now! :D

dzdoris

It'll come don't worry. Had my confirmation email today to start 7th June. Having to fill out some more documents online. Starting to feel real now! :D
Nice one Dan! I still haven't heard and I'm supposed to be starting on the 7th June too as you know. Mind you, WMT always seem to contact me on a Thursday so fingers crossed for tomorrow! Exciting times :)

GJ_DAN

Nice one Dan! I still haven't heard and I'm supposed to be starting on the 7th June too as you know. Mind you, WMT always seem to contact me on a Thursday so fingers crossed for tomorrow! Exciting times :)
Yeah I'm sure you'll hear something very soon! It'll be nice us starting on the same day :)

I would declare any medication recently taken that you think will affect the result. A driver should declare any medication taken to his/her manager prior to working a shift. Also a driver can be randomly screened, but as long as you have declared what medication has been taken beforehand, it's ok.
ok will just declare what i have taken then, ok good, thankyou. CR gave me a date for two weeks now so will prob just lay off anything also just to e safe.

regarding WMT i phoned them in the end and asked what the problem was with my app, since sitting the assessments and apparently passing i heard nothing, they transferred me to someone in recruitment and i was told my app was not active, what ever that means. nice of them to tell me this or even tell me why. amazing behaviour. So good luck everyone wish you the best.

Delivered a load of stuff to the depot this lunchtime and one of the staff in the outside area said as I keyed in the door security code "you know the code, you could work here" - well hopefully when the next stage starts up again

Jon1930

Good luck to everyone starting the drivers course soon, trainees for Birmingham new st, u will do the pts, rules 1 and 2, traction course then will be sat at home for 12-18 months due to the ongoing issues with driver instructors and huge backlog of Birmingham trainees currently sat at home. The ones for Coventry may be ok as I have seen a few trainee drivers for Coventry out and about with their instructors.

Dan61

Bloody hell that long lol. Will you be moved up the salary band after completing the first bit of training before sitting at home

Ssav21

My course starts 9th August. The first lot of test were on paper, including bourdon (I did mine in Birmingham). Then the computer tests and MMI at Watford.

I'm assuming that will be the same for you. But I think they used to do the paper tests, computer tests and MMI on the same day at Watford.
Not long to go really? You're right, I got tests in Birmingham on the 11th then next stage in Watford if I'm successful with those. Suppose it's quite good really as you haven't got the worry of the MMI all day whilst trying to concentrate on the tests.

Have you have you're medical yet?

Jon1930

Bloody hell that long lol. Will you be moved up the salary band after completing the first bit of training before sitting at home
After 9 months the pay will increase. But you wont get on the full pay until qualified.

Rhymnosauras

Not long to go really? You're right, I got tests in Birmingham on the 11th then next stage in Watford if I'm successful with those. Suppose it's quite good really as you haven't got the worry of the MMI all day whilst trying to concentrate on the tests.

Have you have you're medical yet?
Yeah I think doing it all on the same day would have been a bit much.

I haven't had my medical date through yet, hopefully get the dates through soon.

se99db

Can someone just clarify the point made here regarding pay. If there is a delay in DI availability meaning you can't complete and get qualified, which pay grade to you move to automatically after 9 months? On the offer letter there are only 3 mentioned....'trainee driver', 'newly qualified driver' and 'driver'

Coach Carter

You move on to the newly qualified rate. From then you remain on that pay until 12 months after you actually qualify

se99db

Ok, that's what I thought, but wasnt certain as I guess at that point you haven't actually qualified as such.

Also, I know there are many courses due to start over the next few monthes at WMT, how long before your actual course start date do you usually recieve joining instructions from the academy? Have completed all my onboarding, just waiting to hear from the Training academy now...

Coach Carter

Ok, that's what I thought, but wasnt certain as I guess at that point you haven't actually qualified as such.

Also, I know there are many courses due to start over the next few monthes at WMT, how long before your actual course start date do you usually recieve joining instructions from the academy? Have completed all my onboarding, just waiting to hear from the Training academy now...
To be honest I can’t really remember the timing of that one. They will email you to tell you a time for your first day and telling you who will meet you in the foyer of the building that first day.

Prottey

Hello Everyone, I've been watching this thread for a while but haven't posted as of yet. I have been through the long process and now have a date for my DMI which I'm excited for. I'm aware there is plenty of info on this forum in regards to DMI's however I was wondering if any of the people who have passed with WMT have any WMT specific feedback. I have read through a lot of the competency examples that people have listed and it seems very similar to the MMI I went through at the OPC. The interview is being conducted over Teams so not face to face. What kind of vibe was it? Anything specific about WMT they asked about? If your interview was also on teams, what did you wear? Any info from someone that has recently been through it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

desrudy

On Moderation

They will email you all the instructions , don't worry

Dan61

been given my onboarding today ofr 5th July start. Just noticed this in the employment information...... "Unfortunately, we are unable to issue you with a contract at the moment as we are currently in discussionwith the Drivers Company Council (DCC) of ASLEF regarding a current clause relating to Retirement Age.As soon as these discussions are finalised, West Midlands Trains will issue you with a contract."

Is this anything to worry about or can anyone shed light on the above please

S-Car-Go

been given my onboarding today ofr 5th July start. Just noticed this in the employment information...... "Unfortunately, we are unable to issue you with a contract at the moment as we are currently in discussionwith the Drivers Company Council (DCC) of ASLEF regarding a current clause relating to Retirement Age.As soon as these discussions are finalised, West Midlands Trains will issue you with a contract."

Is this anything to worry about or can anyone shed light on the above please.
It's an ongoing thing. Wouldn't worry about it.
I had the same letter when I started 18 months ago. So did every other trainee. We asked established drivers about it, to which they said they hadn't been issued contracts either.

Coach Carter

Is this anything to worry about or can anyone shed light on the above please
Been going on for years, don’t worry about it. Is from back in the London Midland days I believe.

se99db

Can I ask how you find out things like notice period, annual leave arrangements etc without a contract of employment?

OldNick

A contract will exist, but it does not need to be written down, according to Gov.uk

Accepting a contract​

As soon as someone accepts a job offer they have a contract with their employer. An employment contract does not have to be written down.